It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News booked the wrong Democrat on a show. She used the spotlight to unload on Trump.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: neo96

And if your options are travel across harsh terrain to what could be a better life or let your daughter and wife be raped by the cartels while your son is executed by their death squads which would you choose as better parenting?

Or they could do something really crazy like over throw their government and fix their own problems. The history books are full of thing like that happening.

So easy to say.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Or we can teach them Spanish. The US won't sink into the third level of hell just because we all become bilingual.

I never implied we would. Listen, I'm all for our countries youth being bilingual, and I'm not going to pick their language. I also don't have a problem with anyone learning Spanish, nor do I have anything against the language.

However, what you're saying is adopt Spanish as a second language. As I said earlier, that is not a small feat, it would require we overhaul all the signage in the country, along with an overall on the infrastructure as a whole.

Well some states are already attempting such a thing. Furthermore, this is why most road signs depict pictures in addition to text. So that people who don't speak the intended language can understand them too. That is already the case. You don't need to know that S T O P together reads "stop" to know that you have to stop at a red octangular sign when you come across one while driving. It's universal across the country that those are stop signs.

While I'll admit we technically don't have an official language, English is standard here. That makes things easy on transit, commerce, and a host of other aspects of society.

Change is never easy. And course correcting society to ease change in nicer is just as hard. It takes effort and resources to do so, but the payoff is great.

Instead of taking the billions of dollar leap you suggest to teach Spanish to every kid in the country, how about we work on our education system that is 25th in the world. We could start with math, science, history, civics, oh and lets not forget that there are countries that speak English as a second language better than our children. Let's start there, maybe we could create an online learning center for the 10%~ of people who can't speak English rather than teaching the 90%~ to speak Spanish.

Why can't the introduction of teaching Spanish throughout grade school be one of those changes we implement to improve our educational system? I want to improve those other course too, but I'd also like to see this change implemented as well.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

“I keep thinking about what we’re putting parents through — imagining how terrifying that must be for those families, imagining how it would feel not knowing if I’d ever see my kids again,” the state senator added. “We have to stop abducting children and ripping them from their parents’ arms, stop putting kids in cages and stop making 3-year-olds defend themselves in court.”

Yep , that Sure is A Load Alright . I Hope She Wore Her Depends while Spewing that Utter Nonsense..........

Fearing that you won't ever see your children again is a "load"? Do you just lack sympathy these days?

I have no sympathy for people coming into my country illegally. If they went through proper channels they wouldn't be separated.

This is naive. Are you shocked to hear that people coming through the proper channels are also being deported?
Are you referring to those who stayed past their visa expiration?

No, specifically to those current green card holders (and other similar types) who are now being deported for completed legal proceedings that occurred and were adjudicated and closed many many years prior.
I am willing to look at them on a case-by-case basis if you want to take the time. Otherwise I’m going to leave it in the hands of those who are there to do that job. Do you have any specific cases you can site?

Actually I have a direct example from a friends aquaintance (sectioned off below):

---------------------------------
In his neighborhood, there's a great little bar/restaurant called The Anchor that's very active in the community. They usually have live music a couple of nights a week, raise money for good causes, and is almost entirely responsible for bringing people and business back into an area of the town that was pretty much abandoned.

On July 18th, Juan Carlos Alonso Vasquez, one of their head cooks got picked up by ICE. Here's the thing:
1) He's here in the US legally, with all of his documents up to date, works, and pays taxes
2) They picked him up because of a DWI he got 7 years ago, for which all requirements and debts have been settled
3) While he's being held, the restaurant has to close an additional day and cut its service short, which hurts basically everybody

Also worth noting, Carlos is one of the nicest, sweetest, and most dependable and hard-working guys the place has ever seen, and most people who frequent The Anchor know him, even though he prefers staying back in the kitchen.

Again, this is a guy who works 40+ hours a week, has kept all of his paperwork up to date, and is being held in a county jail simply because Trump has ordered a crackdown on immigrants. These are the people who get punished directly, along with everyone else trying to make a living who get hurt indirectly because of the cut hours. Who is this helping???

They've gathered letters from people in town who know and love him, are contacting every politician possible, and set up a GoFundMe to pay for the lawyer who's been helping so far. It just really really sucks knowing that nobody outside of the community really thinks of him as a person, and everyone just assumes "Well, he must've been here illegally" or "They wouldn't do that unless there were a good reason".
---------------------------------

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Why spanish though?

If you going to teach a second language pick a dialect of chinese.

Something actually useful.

Because demographic changes are showing that the Hispanic community is becoming the largest minority group in the country. There is nothing wrong with learning Mandarin too, but let's be real here. Being able to speak Spanish is FAR more useful in this country than speaking Chinese. Unless you are planning on living in or near one of our cities' Chinatowns it really isn't necessary to know that language.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

And if your options are travel across harsh terrain to what could be a better life or let your daughter and wife be raped by the cartels while your son is executed by their death squads which would you choose as better parenting?

Or they could do something really crazy like over throw their government and fix their own problems. The history books are full of thing like that happening.

So easy to say.

No, it's not easy to say. But somebody in their country has to grow a pair and do something instead of bring their problems here. I seem to remember my history books saying that the formation of the United States was far from bloodless in our beginnings.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Wayfarer

Any argument made against it can be either transferred to some other bogey man down the road (in the future), or is rooted in baseless xenophobia and unscientific and inaccurate understanding of economics and social evolution.

Nice ad hominem, but just because some people want a system in place to protect the immigrants too through the use of laws that protect them from being taken advantage of is just straw man.

I'll give you there are xenophobes out there, or people who just want America to be white as milk, but saying everyone who wants the immigration process to have rules is just wrong. Last time I checked, almost all of America is immigrants and can trace back their heritage to just a few generations.

If we let everyone in who was trying right now, you think it would be a smooth transition with no victimization? Do you truly believe we have the infrastructure right now to do so? Do we have adequate housing, jobs, education system to handle the influx?

Last I checked, we have quite a few problems we could fix before just letting someone take the leap with little to no hope.

This argument is a conflation of illegal immigrants vs legal immigrants. While I also believe in amnesty for illegal immigrants, in this instance Trump is using his drive against illegal immigrants to also reduce ALL immigration. Total immigration numbers are way down (especially among non-white immigrants coincidentally), and even those who immigrated by the books or are in the process of doing so completely on the up and up are being deported/denied/stonewalled. I have a problem with this, and I have a problem with any American who thinks tha's ok. I hear constant bloviating for curbing illegal immigration, but many folks in here don't have a problem getting rid of the legal immigrants either.....
edit on 30pm18fpmTue, 24 Jul 2018 12:33:16 -0500America/ChicagoTue, 24 Jul 2018 12:33:16 -0500 by Wayfarer because: spelling

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

So easy to say.

It's always easy to say but damn near impossible to implement solutions with this crowd.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Change is never easy. And course correcting society to ease change in nicer is just as hard. It takes effort and resources to do so, but the payoff is great.

Than why do it when only 10~ of the country doesn't speak English?

And what's not correct about having a standard language?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Than why do it when only 10~ of the country doesn't speak English?

Because it makes it easier for the population to communicate.

And what's not correct about having a standard language?

We've never had an official language.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So easy to say.

It's always easy to say but damn near impossible to implement solutions with this crowd.

Just because some don't agree with yours?

We have plenty of problems, I rarely speak of them without saying a possible solution.

link   

The only thing open borders managed to accomplish is create new slave class, and now think everyone should be taught the new slave classes language.

The 21st century is going to be China dominance.

Give people tools to forge their future.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

90% of the country speaks English, what's easier, teaching immigrants (of all nations) English or the inverse?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

237 million people.

en.wikipedia.org...

That 40 million must be of the illegal variety.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Amusing, for sure, but pathetic that she would knowingly go on a show expecting someone else and act like a douche.

All that she did was share her feelings on the topic, nothing more, so I fail to see how this negated anything in an echo chamber, poke holes in any bubbles, or really provide anything of substance at all.

That said, back when I used to watch FoxNews (years ago at this point) and from what small doses I get via ATS these days, FoxNews routinely has people with differing viewpoints on their programs, even if just to try to prove them wrong.

The feed most likely was cut because Barbara L'Italien either misrepresented who she was or somehow got on the show without appropriate permission. What should a new network do, just let some unwelcomed guest keep ranting in a segment obviously set aside for someone else?

Your editorializing of the situation seems a bit distanced from the more probable reality of the situation.

But again, I did find it slightly amusing...the looks on the faces of the pundits was priceless.

And I'm sure that Trump gave exactly two massive dumps about her opinion delivered via FoxNews.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The only thing open borders managed to accomplish is create new slave class, and now think everyone should be taught the new slave classes language.

Um... No... This is a terrible interpretation of events. For one, illegals working under the table are still getting paid. For two, the fact that people like you are so worried about punishing them is what causes them to have to seek out the types of jobs you are currently scolding them for having. If it were up to me I'd have them legalized so they can take advantage of worker's right laws. I also don't see you making a lot of hot air about holding employers who treat these illegals like slave labor responsible for doing so.

The 21st century is going to be China dominance.

Well if Chinese immigration and immigrants rise to the point where the Mandarin is spoken throughout the country like Spanish is then I'll probably ado-vacate for American children learning Mandarin too. Until then, Spanish IS at that point so I'd rather our children learn Spanish.

Give people tools to forge their future.

No #. That's why I want our children to learn Spanish.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 (H.R. 2580; Pub.L. 89–236, 79 Stat. 911, enacted June 30, 1968), also known as the Hart–Celler Act,[1] changed the way quotas were allocated by ending the National Origins Formula that had been in place in the United States since the Emergency Quota Act of 1921. Representative Emanuel Celler of New York proposed the bill, Senator Philip Hart of Michigan co-sponsored it, and Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts helped to promote it.

Go figure.

Repeal this snip.

en.wikipedia.org...

Return EQUALITY to immigration.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What the eff do I have to be worried about ?

I have skills.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

90% of the country speaks English, what's easier, teaching immigrants (of all nations) English or the inverse?

I think it's just easier to teach both. Why are you implying that we just have to teach one language?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

What the eff do I have to be worried about ?

I have skills.

Ok... And? What's your point?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

This

For two, the fact that people like you are so worried about punishing them is what causes them to have to seek out the types of jobs you are currently scolding them for having.

Was a lie.

The only thing illegal immigration brings to the table for the open border crowd.

Is slaves.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join