It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel shoots down Syrian fighter jet penetrating Israeli airspace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Israel shot down a Syrian fighter jet that penetrated Israeli airspace on Tuesday, the Israeli army said. It said that the Russian-made Sukhoi was under surveillance when it entered some two kilometers into Israeli airspace.

Israel's air defenses fired two Patriot missiles at the plane. The military said the jet was under surveillance before entering Israel.

It was not immediately where the plane crashed, and No details were given as to the fate of the pilots.

Israel shoots down Syrian fighter jet penetrating Israeli airspace

I didn't put this in the WW3 forum because this isn't going to start WW3. Sorry to disappoint. Israel was well within its rights to do this. A few years ago Turkey shot down a Russian plane and nothing came of it. I don't expect much to come out of this. Just interesting news this morning.

ETA: Another source

According to Sky News Arabic the plane fell in the area of the Yarmuk basin, a triangular border area between Syria, Israel and Jordan where there is intense fighting against the Islamic State group.

edit on 24 7 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I didn't put this in the WW3 forum because this isn't going to start WW3. Sorry to disappoint. Israel was well within its rights to do this. A few years ago Turkey shot down a Russian plane and nothing came of it. I don't expect much to come out of this. Just interesting news this morning.

Iran also shot down some Israeli jets, Israel has targeted Iranian soldiers in retaliation, and we killed 100~ Russian contractors in Syria.

Luckily everyone has been playing nice for the most part on the proxy war world test ground extravaganza 2018.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Iran also shot down some Israeli jets, Israel has targeted Iranian soldiers in retaliation, and we killed 100~ Russian contractors in Syria.

Luckily everyone has been playing nice for the most part on the proxy war world test ground extravaganza 2018.

Yeah, I mean everybody is shooting at everybody. This isn't even really big news, I just wanted to get it up before some idiot put it in WW3 screaming about how "this is it!"

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Feel sorry for the pilot if this was an innocent mistake.

Intruding over the border by a mile and being shot down shows a zero tolerance attitude from Israel, which is probably justified considering Syria's behaviour, and their support for Iran's meddling and to perpetuation hate in the region.
edit on 24/7/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Feel sorry for the pilot if this was an innocent mistake.

Intruding over the border by a mile and being shot down shows a zero tolerance attitude from Israel, which is probably justified considering Syria's behaviour, and their support for Iran's meddling and to perpetuation hate in the region.

It says he ejected over Islamic State territory. I'd rather just crash.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Its airspace or over territory stolen from Syria ?

Israel 'shoots down' Syrian fighter near Golan Heights
www.bbc.co.uk...

Israel was well within its rights to do this.

When are they ever not within their rights , it's Israel !
edit on 24-7-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Its airspace or over territory stolen from Syria ?

Israel 'shoots down' Syrian fighter near Golan Heights
www.bbc.co.uk...

Israel was well within its rights to do this.

When are they ever not within their rights , it's Israel !

By "stole" you mean captured during a war right?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Is taking by force not stealing ?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Not always. When cops break into your place on a search warrant and take evidence is that stealing? That's taking by force.

Israel didn't just roll into the Golan and take it for no reason.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As they should have.

If a Syrian fighter flew over my sand, I'd shoot it down, too. Who wouldn't?

MY sand is BEST sand.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

No , they rolled into the Golan and took it because of its strategic importance.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

No , they rolled into the Golan and took it because of its strategic importance.

During a war. They didn't just grab it the way Russia grabbed Crimea.

Countries take territory from each other during wars all the time. It becomes theirs. Are you suggesting borders are permanent? Because pretty much none of the current borders in the world have always been the way they are. Should they all have to give it all back? How far back do we go?
edit on 24 7 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Not when the opposing army uses the location to stage a war from.
Syria thought they could sneak one in
Israel humiliated them by taking their "staging area" away from em

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Isn't Israel the country with the "Iron Force Field"?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Exactly right. Syria used to station artillery on the Golan Heights and shell Israeli settlements from there. Israel withdrew from all territory EXCEPT the Golan Heights for that very reason. BTW, I've been there and the Golan Heights are really not that high. You can literally walk from the "Golan Heights" to the nearest Israel settlement. It's just across a single two-lane road. That's something Americans don't understand about Israel, the small scale. When you read that "Israel opened up new settlements" what they are doing is building an apartment house across the street, literally.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

its called iron dome en.wikipedia.org...

Iron Dome (Hebrew: כִּפַּת בַּרְזֶל‬, kippat barzel) is a mobile all-weather air defense system[8] developed by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Israel Aerospace Industries.[7] The system is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells fired from distances of 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) to 70 kilometres (43 mi) away and whose trajectory would take them to a populated area.[9][10] Israel hopes to increase the range of Iron Dome's interceptions, from the current maximum of 70 kilometres (43 mi) to 250 kilometres (160 mi) and make it more versatile so that it could intercept rockets coming from two directions simultaneously.[11] Iron Dome was declared operational and initially deployed on 27 March 2011 near Beersheba.[12] On 7 April 2011, the system successfully intercepted a BM-21 Grad launched from Gaza for the first time.[13] On 10 March 2012, The Jerusalem Post reported that the system shot down 90% of rockets launched from Gaza that would have landed in populated areas.[10] By November 2012, official statements indicated that it had intercepted 400+ rockets.[14][15] By late October 2014, the Iron Dome systems had intercepted over 1,200 rockets.[16]
but i do kind of like the name you gave it better lol

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

When you read that "Israel opened up new settlements" what they are doing is building an apartment house across the street, literally.

That is simply not true.

Israel will revive extensive Jewish construction projects in the West Bank. Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman anticipated this on Twitter today. "Next week - he wrote - we will submit plans for the construction of 2,500 houses in the Judea-Samaria (Cisjordan) superior council, 1,400 of which will be implemented immediately"

"We will extend the buildings throughout Judea-Samaria - he added - from North to South, in small and large settlements"
www.italiaisraeletoday.it...

So it is , so it has always been.
More theft.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Israeli history and reputation causes me to be cynical about this claim to the point that I believe that if they did shoot a Syrian plane down it would have been well inside Syrian air space.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yeah they seem to get a free pass on basically anything.

(post by Urbanclap removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join