It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Scampton to be closed and sold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
So it seems the home of the Dambusters and the red arrows is to be closed and sold off by 2022.
story

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

That is utterly absurd.

The article fails to mention what the motivation behind this closure is. It literally cannot be that there is not enough money in the military budget to keep it open, because I have seen the size of that budget, and it ought to be more than sufficient to run all the bases we currently have... Unless of course, the money is being misappropriated by people who do not deserve it (top echelon people again, no doubt).

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think its to save £140 mil a year I saw somewhere else just trying to find where I saw that at though.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

£140 million a year?

Thats peanuts when compared to the amount of money this government wastes on bad contracts and allowing massive corporate entities to dodge their taxes.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Its apparently £140 mil over 10 years so 14mil a year.
daily fail

Sorry anzha I know you'll be disappointed by the paper!!

Totally agree about tax dodging companies as well the back tax and future taxes could fund so many future projects and the NHS.
edit on 24-7-2018 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
600 jobs gone as well. But is it truly needed? All the operations can be consolidated at another base. RAF Alconbury is now a large commercial site after the USAF left.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Its more the history of the place if it turned I to a housing estate I'd hope they'd name the streets after the pilots and make sure there's a memorial park or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I get what you mean. Lots of ww2 bases are just fields now. The US military had lots of base closures over the years. Most rebound and find alternate uses for the community. Like speed trials on the runway!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I used to live near what was Hornchurch aerodrome and they turned it in to a lovely nature reserve and some of the streets were named after the pilots for example Bader Way.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It all depends on the council. Need all the residents there to attend council meetings. It could be a nice regional airport or something. Where exactly is it?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Its just North of Lincoln.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Not to go off topic but I would close a base near Heathrow or Gatwick. Boom.....no need to build a 3rd runway.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Can't think of any around there tbh off the top of my head. Don't know why they don't just build Gatwick up anyway put a direct high speed train line to it.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It'll be sold to a developer for peanuts. Stick 50,000 new houses on it, and a couple of superstores. Another rural area despoiled.

The criminality here is not that the base should not be sold, it's the fact the MOD will undervalue the land. Done it before, and they'll do it again.

Guardian article

Property companies have made millions of pounds by buying land from the Ministry of Defence and applying for planning permission, before selling on the sites.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Are you really surprised remember when they sold all the royal mail shares dirt cheap and then they went through the roof.
In fact I don't know why the Mod don't just develop it themselves then reap the profits from that or rent

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510
In fact I don't know why the Mod don't just develop it themselves then reap the profits from that or rent

Because the MOD are not a property developer. Strictly speaking they are a property destroyed... What the MOD needs is an intelligent way to sell land in a way that they maximise the return, and minimise the chance of people making excess profits.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
I get what you mean. Lots of ww2 bases are just fields now. The US military had lots of base closures over the years. Most rebound and find alternate uses for the community. Like speed trials on the runway!!!!

Will likely end up as houses or similar? Same is happening to Former Raf/USAF Daws Hill... Not sure what they're gonna do with the bunker there though? www.bucksfreepress.co.uk...
edit on 24-7-2018 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What bunker....munitions? IF the council was smart you could turn them into ready made cities. They already have infrastructure. Just move businesses and people in. Especially if it has a runway....boom! Instant hub to the rest of the UK.
Possibilities are endless. Flying clubs, parachute clubs, auto racing circuit. Wish I was allowed to plan the development.
a reply to: solidshot

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I live nearby and to be fair the base is huge. It was built to accommodate bomber fleets, so you can imagine the scale of the place. In reality these days it houses 12 planes (and meteorological teams that are on deployment).

I would never suggest the reds or any assets are not needed, but a whole base for 12 non fighting planes isnt a good use of money.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I reckon the Reds will go to Raf Valley as that is where most of the T1’s are serviced and Mods carried out...usually good weather and lots of water to fly over for training...!!! a reply to: blackrabbit1

top topics

<<   2 >>

join