It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Space Telescope : The Wonders Of The Universe - NASA Hubble Telescope

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Here is a supposedly 'live' view of space through the Hubble Space Telescope:

A fascinating panorama of space through Hubble

Now you can explore space right from your home computer

edit on 24-7-2018 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

A live replay of it's images maybe but it's not a live feed of what it's looking at right now.

Hubble has taken some great images so far.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

It is listed as 'live' and has been running for months 24/7

How do you know, and are you sure, that it is not live ?

Also, does anyone know what those strange looking, what looks like rock formations or mountains that appear from time to time are ?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView

Also, does anyone know what those strange looking, what looks like rock formations or mountains that appear from time to time are ?

the famous Ultra Deep Field photo(s) required something like a 10-day exposure on a very tiny piece of the sky
So no, not live.. just a youtube picture slideshow

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yeah. Many of those are long exposures and I think most of the photos from Hubble the public sees are false color. Don't ask me why but NASA pretty much doctors everything they show to the public. By false color I don't mean that the objects are necessarily the wrong color. I mean that Hubble apparently was not designed to take pretty pictures. It was meant to take scientific images. So they have to take those and make them look the way your eye would see them.

SO....if you see a Hubble photo that looks amazing, it's definitely not live.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I know for sure it's not live cause I have a good understanding of how the Hubble telescope works and I follow everything space related pretty closely.
Many of those images have been around for a long time and I've seen most of them before. Also as others have already mentioned the Hubble takes long exposures often for many days to obtain those images.
There is no way it could scroll around and essentially take live video of Galaxies light years away. That would be great if it could but it can't.

To answer your question regarding the rock formations, I believe you're referring to the dust and gas clouds in some of the pictures.
The stellar nurseries and nebula are some of the most amazing pictures.

My favorite images are the Hubble Deep Field it proves (in my mind) that there are so many galaxies in the universe that there is no way we are alone. Note that this image is just a small sliver of the sky and I'm sure it looks similar no matter which direction you look out into space.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Live or Not...it’s far out!!
Such beauty stirs my imagination and soul!
Thanks for the post

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Yeah. Many of those are long exposures and I think most of the photos from Hubble the public sees are false color. Don't ask me why but NASA pretty much doctors everything they show to the public. By false color I don't mean that the objects are necessarily the wrong color. I mean that Hubble apparently was not designed to take pretty pictures. It was meant to take scientific images. So they have to take those and make them look the way your eye would see them.

SO....if you see a Hubble photo that looks amazing, it's definitely not live.

The Hubble can take "pretty pictures" in true colours, for example Hubble's pictures of galaxies are usually true-colour.

It's just that by using false colours assigned to specific ionised gasses, astronomers can get a better idea of processes going on there.

For example, a true-colour image of nebula is almost uniformly red or pink, while in "false colours" the various ionised gasses are visually separated.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

".........My favorite images are the Hubble Deep Field it proves (in my mind) that there are so many galaxies in the universe that there is no way we are alone......"

That is the common consensus - Even scientists are saying other life is probable in the universe.

But, what is still unknown.........What actually, even given circumstances where life frst began on Earth......What
exactly is the 'probability' - Common, scarce, rare, or even very rare? - In fact, the scarry alternative to alien life
elsewhere - Is the possibility that biological life on Earth is unique.

In my opinion though, even if biological life is rare, othr forms of 'life' and/or 'intelligences' are probable.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The Hubble views are not live, because #1 it's not designed for that, and #2 the Hubble telescope is in very high demand by astronomers, with a queue of observations stretching into months ahead.

The colourful images published are the result of reprocessing raw Hubble data, which can be found at the Hubble Legacy Archive.

Even members of the public can download the data and try making colour images out of it themselves. Here's a couple I've done myself:

These are false-colour images of gas and dust clouds in and around the Bubble Nebula.

(Published Hubble image)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

originally posted by: AlienView

the famous Ultra Deep Field photo(s) required something like a 10-day exposure on a very tiny piece of the sky
So no, not live.. just a youtube picture slideshow

It was about 50 days observing and 22 days of exposure time.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

But, but, flat earth and all that jazz!

I call fisheye lens.
LoL
edit on 25-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Ready for Mars ?

Hubble Spies Mars Days Before Closest Approach In Over A Decade | Video

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
If the Hubble looked at Mars now, it wouldn't see much apart from a featureless orange orb.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Speak of the devil, lol. This latest Hubble image of Mars has just been posted: www.spacetelescope.org...

Taken mid-July, it shows the global dust storm that's currently covering the planet.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Can't wait to meet the Martians!

4:44 Evidence of lake beneath Mars' surface detected

Mars is the closest to earth it's been in 15 years

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Dr Rachel Osten, deputy mission head for the Hubble Space Telescope, tweeted: "Very stressful weekend. Right now HST is in safe mode while we figure out what to do. Another gyro failed. First step is try to bring back the last gyro, which had been off, and is being problematic."

BBC.com, news, Oct. 8, 2018 - Hubble telescope hit by mechanical failure.

The last of the old gyroscopes has died. They put the one giving them problems into stand-by mode. They are going to restart that one, try to figure out what the issue is, and run on single gyro mode until they too meet the fate and die!

Bad luck for NASA. Opportunity rover gets caught in a planet wide dust storm (it has until Oct. 26 to reply). JSWT got delayed. And now HST is down to single gyro mode (they would love to run with 3 up at all times).

Bummer

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Add this to your list.

The reign of NASA's champion exoplanet-hunting telescope Kepler may be coming to an end this month, according to an update from the agency posted yesterday (Sept. 28). That's because two systems are troubling the aging telescope: New data shows that the instrument is struggling to point precisely across the heavens, even as it continues to run out of fuel, according to the agency statement.

The team behind Kepler has turned off the instrument temporarily, then will wake it up again on Oct. 10, when it is due to send its next batch of data back to Earth. At this point, according to NASA, there's no way to tell whether that process will be successful. If it is, they'll set the telescope back to gathering data, trying to eke out as much as possible from the machine.

[url=https://www.space.com/41984-nasa-kepler-exoplanet-telescope-not-dead-yet.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181002-sd c]https://www.space.com/41984-nasa-kepler-exoplanet-telescope-not-dead-yet.html?utm_source=sdc-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181002-sdc[/ url]

edit on 8-10-2018 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

Add this to your list.

The reign of NASA's champion exoplanet-hunting telescope Kepler may be coming to an end this month, according to an update from the agency posted yesterday (Sept. 28). That's because two systems are troubling the aging telescope: New data shows that the instrument is struggling to point precisely across the heavens, even as it continues to run out of fuel, according to the agency statement.

The team behind Kepler has turned off the instrument temporarily, then will wake it up again on Oct. 10, when it is due to send its next batch of data back to Earth. At this point, according to NASA, there's no way to tell whether that process will be successful. If it is, they'll set the telescope back to gathering data, trying to eke out as much as possible from the machine.

space.com: NASA's Aging Planet-Hunting Kepler Telescope Is Struggling to See Straight

Fixed link.

Forgot about Kepler. Pile that one on there too!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Thanks TEOT.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join