It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National News For the First Time, a Female Ebola Survivor Infects Others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Here is something that I would not have thought possible...interesting news about Ebola..it seems to be something that just keeps on giving.
www.wral.com...

By Donald G. McNeil Jr., New York Times

For the first time, scientists have found evidence that a woman can harbor the Ebola virus for more than a year and then infect others.

The discovery involved transmission within a Liberian family in the closing days of the West African epidemic that lasted from December 2014 to mid-2016. More than 28,600 people were infected and 11,325 died.

The episode raises new medical questions: Scientists do not know how the virus hid inside the woman for 13 months before re-emerging in lethal form.

The joy of surviving only to find you are a new typhoid/Ebola Mary. Not be be out done it has been known that the virus can survive in semen for up to two years after surviving Ebola.. Bummer !

Now the GOOD NEWS !

All 120 people with any recent contact with the family were vaccinated, she said. None fell ill, and that helped prove the Merck vaccine works.

This year, the vaccine was used to defeat the most recent Ebola outbreak, which took place in the Democratic Republic of Congo. About 3,200 people were vaccinated, and new cases faded out after only about three months. Tuesday, the director-general of the World Health Organization will officially declare it over.

In Liberia, after the 15-year-old died, blood tests showed that his father and 8-year-old brother had Ebola. With treatment, both recovered.

Like I said there is some good news after all.
edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Thank god I'm gay

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
It's interesting to note that the experts believe that the family members who became ill acquired the virus through helping the mother during her pregnancy.

Unlike men, who have been known to infect others through sexual activity, this doesn't appear to be the case with this woman.

I knew men were able to transmit the disease through sexual activity. I read the article to make sure that didn't happen here. Especially since the woman's 15 and 8 year old sons had acquired the illness. That's just too weird to think about.

-dex

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

You're disgusting and it wouldn't stop you catching Ebola.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Nice so those of us with certain chromosomes should prepare for years of isolation or quarantine if infected?

This is why I stay in my house. Hermitude approaching 100% in 3....2....1....

Lol but seriously, crap that sucks man.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I am more curious to know if the end result is a virus more suited for human hosts and more resilient as a result. In other words, is the virus the same now as it was when she was first infected? Long term exposure to human antibodies could just make it more effective at killing human beings.

new topics

top topics

join