It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beef what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So I finally mustered up the courage.

I got all the ingredients:

chuck steak

potatoes

carrots

pearl onions

mushrooms

red wine

and other stuff too

I don't even know how to use corn starch as a thickening agent. I've always failed every time I've tried. But this time I'm feeling saucy!

I want that homemade beef bourguignon baby!

"Beef what?" said the waitress.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Sounds good!

Easy on the corn starch.

I usually skip it in favor of either a bit of roux or just reduction.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Flour or corn starch is easy to use as a thickening agent. Take it off from boiling and put it in, then stir. Corn starch thickens quicker with less.
Hope it turned out how you wanted it.

edit on 24-7-2018 by randomtangentsrme because: Added a step, because you can only go so far without that extra step. In this case the last step involved 7 league boots.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
You astound me NB!

Pro tip with flour - careful how you pop it in otherwise you get lumps and it's rather annoying. I use a wee tea strainer to sift in the flour with one hand, stirring with the other.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

You?

PM time post-haste astounded one.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Sounds delicious NB .

i always put the flour or cornstarch into some cold water first , then stir it really well..( you don’t need much water ).. it makes a liquidity paste that won’t lump when pouring into whatever you want thickened.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Also what Sheye said.

Also Looked for a nice picture of a cute spider in a mailbox but couldnt find one non-threatening.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Ever since i learned to make a proper roux I've never used corn starch as a thickening agent for stews.

It's quite simple, but it takes time and care, and adds massive flavor. It's just equal parts flour, and fat, usually vegetable oil.
All it takes is a medium heat, and consistent stirring to not burn it, when it's done, you just add all your other ingredients, some water, or stock what ever, and let it simmer on low for hours until the rest of the stuff is cooked. Look into some gumbo recipes for a good roux!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

If you can get those beef squares to be so soft that they fall apart in your mouth this will be a fantastic meal.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Ever since i learned to make a proper roux I've never used corn starch as a thickening agent for stews.

I grew up knowing how to make these.

When your poor you learn how to stretch things like flour and meat broths. I was in my thirties the first time I learned that corn starch could be bought as a powder and used to make roux. Vastly inferior. Sure it taste good but it gives the roux a slimy constancy every time.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I don't even know how to use corn starch

Don't use it. Whoever or wherever you got this recipe they were doing it the way they thought was easier.

Making gravy/roux is easy. You might be able to do it the old way better than trying to use the "easy" way by using corn starch.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

I first add a bit of oil or melted butter to the flour and mix it up. Doing this will assure that you get no lumps.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

It's the only way I ever make gravy. Just make the roux and pour my water/meat drippings mix into the same pan. Stir until it's as thick as I want.

Is their any other way to even make gravy? lol

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

It's the only way I ever make gravy. Just make the roux and pour my water/meat drippings mix into the same pan. Stir until it's as thick as I want.

Is their any other way to even make gravy? lol

I should have advised to braise the meat while making the roux. Then deglaze the braising pan with some good red wine, getting all that delicious fond up, and adding the deglaze to the warm roux.

Dang! I’m making myself hungry!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Yup. There's different gravies and sauces.
But I know what you mean. Classic thick gravy.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Dang! I’m making myself hungry!

Me too!

top topics

join