It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on the Florida shooting incident

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: face23785

a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Warning: Don’t assault random people, especially in FLA where a Stand Your Ground law exists. They may have a CCW and packing, and you could get shot. This has been a PSA.

SYG is not a license to shoot anyone who assaults you. This is a common misconception the media perpetuates, especially after the Trayvon Martin incident. You have to be in reasonable fear for your life, whether you're in a SYG state or not.

At the point he was forcefully shoved to the ground, he was probably fearing for his life.

I'm not arguing that. I'm simply trying to get everyone to understand that SYG doesn't factor into that determination.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Damned right he should face charges.

Holy crap, there was no reason to shoot the guy...none.

The shooter had no business getting in that ladies face like that, a simple push is reason to shoot someone, especially when that someone is moving away?

I carry, too. Dude thinks he's a white knight, or some such thing. What he is, after that little episode, is a murderer.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Damned right he should face charges.

Holy crap, there was no reason to shoot the guy...none.

The shooter had no business getting in that ladies face like that, a simple push is reason to shoot someone, especially when that someone is moving away?

I carry, too. Dude thinks he's a white knight, or some such thing. What he is, after that little episode, is a murderer.

This is pretty much my take on it as well. I carry, but the last thing I want to do is shoot someone. If anything, it makes me go even further out of my way to avoid confrontation. I find myself better able to control road rage, for example. I never yell at anyone or do anything aggressive with my car, because I think well what if it escalates to the point where I have to shoot the guy? Anti-gun extremists think gun owners are all nutcases just looking for an excuse to shoot someone, but the vast majority of us are not. This case does not seem like a good shoot, given the available facts. He started the whole thing too, being a busybody about the handicapped parking thing.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Warning: Don’t assault random people, especially in FLA where a Stand Your Ground law exists. They may have a CCW and packing, and you could get shot. This has been a PSA.

SYG is not a license to shoot anyone who assaults you. This is a common misconception the media perpetuates, especially after the Trayvon Martin incident. You have to be in reasonable fear for your life, whether you're in a SYG state or not.

At the point he was forcefully shoved to the ground, he was probably fearing for his life.

I'm not arguing that. I'm simply trying to get everyone to understand that SYG doesn't factor into that determination.

Nor should it stand when the killer didn't at need to stay and go instigate and escalate the situation. This isn't what STY is. It's not 'Im going to start trouble so I can stand my ground "

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I carry, as I said above...

But I'll run away if I can, and it doesn't leave someone in mortal danger. We seem to be in agreement here.

The shooter, IMHO, was looking for an excuse--or certainly seemed to be.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Exactly.

He started the whole episode.

I wonder what he sees when he looks in a mirror right now? Hope he enjoys the view.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Stand Your Ground was simply intended to protect people like Bernie Goetz, who used deadly force to actually protect himself and though not criminally guilty, was found to be financially responsible to the injured parties thanks to the US' ridiculous double jeopardy-like civil trial laws.

It's abusing a good law to allow it to be used in this case.
edit on 23-7-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's exactly the why of it.

We're in agreement that "stand your ground" should not apply here.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
When I teach Self Defense. I teach two main concepts first. A. You don't put your hands on someone unless it's actual self defense. This guy broke that rule. That's only a problem because Rule A leads to Rule B. B. You never know what weapons someone is carrying or their mental state. Always assume they have a weapon and/or a friend close by and are scared enough to use the weapons they have on them.

well said, as someone who has been trained and trained others in self defense (for a really long time) you cannot expect people to act rationally when attacked and you never know who you are messing with

my #1 rules is always, can you escape?

yes...

escape

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I guess we have arrived at ancient Rome. The arena
Betting on the death of a human being? Trivializing it

With respect, I think this thread is way out of bounds.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

well... when you physically engage someone all bets are off IMO

I mean... if you put your hands on my I'm not going to wait around and see what's coming next

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

From what I saw on that video, the confrontation was over. There was no reason to shoot. None. The man was moving away. All he'd done was get him out of his wife's face.

ETA: What I saw there was face-saving. He got his ittie-bittie pride hurt, and hey, presto--gun fire. My opinion, of course.

No. If I'm the prosecutor, I'm filing charges. Murder, at the least. If the guy wants to plead down to manslaughter, I might go for it--nothing less. He's sure as Hell not walkin' away without a trial.
edit on 7/23/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

By pushing the man down the assault already took place... At that time the shooter could have feared for his life...stand you ground.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

To me it seems like a couple of assholes being what they will be and one of them wound up dead. If we all minded our own business, less of this crap would happen.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigbrooklyn
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

By pushing the man down the assault already took place... At that time the shooter could have feared for his life...stand you ground.

He could have, but then the guy was walking away. At that point, I doubt any jury would agree his life was in danger. It's not a Stand Your Ground case, despite the anti-gun extremists trying to make this about that.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't give any of the three a pass. The shooter does seem to be outside the law. I bet this isn't over for him.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I live abut 10 miles from where this happened. I have stopped at ths Circle K many times. Just moved back here from Georgia because I missed living here but the people here are aggressive and abrasive. You have to really keep from constantly being triggered and feeling threatened; just seems to be the culture here now. I don't feel much racial tension but this is mostly white/Latino/Cuban/Greek scenario.

That being said, there are alot of issues with driving and parking. Heads here are hot-it's scary. Driving is really scary and this mixture of personalities make it even worse. I've told my adult daughter to be very careful and totally stay away from aggressive, in your face, types.

This is a crazy, yet typical, scenario. Losing your life just because somene knocked you down makes no sense. Everyone here agress with the SYG law. It's this crazy culture but a real tragedy. I am surprised this hasn't caused racial tensiions here but then again there are so few blacks here. Expect the national agitators to get involved and blow it all up.
edit on 23-7-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: TinySickTears

I live abut 10 miles from where this happened. I have stopped at ths Circle K many times. Just moved back here from Georgia because I missed living here but the people here are aggressive and abrasive. You have to really keep from constantly being triggered and feeling threatened; just seems to be the culture here now. I don't feel much racial tension but this is mostly white/Latino/Cuban/Greek scenario.

That being said, there are alot of issues with driving and parking. Heads here are hot-it's scary. Driving is really scary and this mixture of personalities make it even worse. I've told my adult daughter to be very careful and totally stay away from aggressive, in your face, types.

This is a crazy, yet typical, scenario. Losing your life just because somene knocked you down makes no sense. Everyone here agress with the STG law. It's this crazy culture but a real tragedy. I am surprised this hasn't caused racial tensiions here but then again there are so few blacks here. Expect the national agitators to get involved and blow it all up.

Funny you should mention driving and parking. I've visited Florida twice and both times I thought the driving was the worst part of the visit. I've been all over the country and driven in a few foreign countries, and Florida was the worst place I've driven in, generally.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Once you attack someone you will be attacked back

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
"I know the guy who initiated the violence was a black man.
I am betting that the guy with the gun is a white man"

stopped reading their.

Denying race plays any role with how or even if this story goes viral is putting our heads in the sand. It matters, a lot. When most people's perception of the world comes from what they get in the media any kind of bias by the media affects our view. Race and ethnicity matter to the MSM because it means ratings and money.

Whether there are riots mostly depends on how the media covers a story.
Isn't that kind of important?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join