It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on the Florida shooting incident

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's a shame a man died just because he pushed someone. Whatever happened with people shoving each other and saying F you, then walking away. He can't claim 'stand your ground' unless the other guy had a gun too. If not, he should be charged with murder.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: UnBreakable
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Warning: Don’t assault random people, especially in FLA where a Stand Your Ground law exists. They may have a CCW and packing, and you could get shot. This has been a PSA.

SYG is not a license to shoot anyone who assaults you. This is a common misconception the media perpetuates, especially after the Trayvon Martin incident. You have to be in reasonable fear for your life, whether you're in a SYG state or not.

That's just it. He may have been in fear of his life. I'm not saying he should have shot him. The backed up. He shouldn't have, but you should never put your hands on someone because you never know who is carrying and if they're going to pull the trigger.

He may have been in fear for his life. I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm just trying to clarify, there's a lot of # going around about this case like no matter what, because of Stand Your Ground, the guy won't get charged. That's not true. Stand Your Ground is not a license to commit murder. I'm not saying whether it was murder or not, although it sounds like this was not a justified shooting to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Ok.
You don't even need a "stand your ground law" if a person is assaulted and the person assaulting uses words that they "will kill that person" (or anything else similar) .
That is normal self defense law when under the threat of death.

Will have to wait for the rest of the story.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Warning: Don’t assault random people, especially in FLA where a Stand Your Ground law exists. They may have a CCW and packing, and you could get shot. This has been a PSA.

SYG is not a license to shoot anyone who assaults you. This is a common misconception the media perpetuates, especially after the Trayvon Martin incident. You have to be in reasonable fear for your life, whether you're in a SYG state or not.

That's just it. He may have been in fear of his life. I'm not saying he should have shot him. The backed up. He shouldn't have, but you should never put your hands on someone because you never know who is carrying and if they're going to pull the trigger.

He may have been in fear for his life. I'm not saying he wasn't. I'm just trying to clarify, there's a lot of # going around about this case like no matter what, because of Stand Your Ground, the guy won't get charged. That's not true. Stand Your Ground is not a license to commit murder. I'm not saying whether it was murder or not, although it sounds like this was not a justified shooting to me.

Yeah this guy could be in a world of hurt legally. You're absolutely right.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Ok.
You don't even need a "stand your ground law" if a person is assaulted and the person assaulting uses words that they "will kill that person" (or anything else similar) .
That is normal self defense law when under the threat of death.

Will have to wait for the rest of the story.

That's exactly the point I've been trying to make. The media is trying to make this all about Stand Your Ground laws, when it's actually just a normal self defense case. Did he reasonably fear for his life is the question. By all accounts, the guy was retreating, so I don't see how you'd argue in court you were in fear for your life at that point. That's up to the prosecutor to decide, but Stand Your Ground doesn't give him a pass on that requirement.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I lived in the Tampa area for quite some time, Clearwater and St Pete have some very evident racial tensions under the surface, so I wasn't particularly surprised at this. "This" being a white guy shooting a black guy. I assumed as much before reading beyond headlines, and was not thinking the black guy was some random thug, either.

i grew up in st pete. was there from 80-96.
it was not under the surface when i was there. it was right out in the open

everything was segregated in st pete back then.
if you know t pete then you know

central avenue was the dividing line. keep in mind this was before they revamped central ave down by the bayfront center and made it a trendy spot.

everything north of central was white and everything south was black.

the black kids would hope the bus to go to school on the north side and after school they got shuttled back south of central avenue.
so during school it was integrated but after school and all summer it was segregated.

during school it was tense man. huge group of 'skinheads' at that time.

of course they were just little bitches but they liked to stir # up.

it was rough man

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Europeaner

That's where I stopped reading.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

No I understand that. The OP said he was betting it was a white man.That turned me off. I've since read the whole article. Makes more sense now.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

did you spellcheck me and misspell a word yourself?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Looked like the dead guy was about half the guys age or less that'll play in. You don't mess with old folks.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Sad either way.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
It's a shame a man died just because he pushed someone. Whatever happened with people shoving each other and saying F you, then walking away. He can't claim 'stand your ground' unless the other guy had a gun too. If not, he should be charged with murder.

As far as I was aware, we were all supposed to have left that behavior mostly behind in school. That was playground type stuff and we learned the bad lessons there when we were small enough not to suffer serious consequences from it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
stopped reading their.

stooped reading they're

Fail. It should be "stopped reading THERE." You corrected his incorrect use of a possessive into a sentence that says "stopped reading they are" (they're is short for they are).

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
a reply to: Lumenari

No I understand that. The OP said he was betting it was a white man.That turned me off. I've since read the whole article. Makes more sense now.

I don't like the default to focusing on skin color. If only these type of people would join us in the 21st century. Not once when reading about this did I wonder what either of their skin color was. That is meaningless to the facts of the case.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Looked like the dead guy was about half the guys age or less that'll play in. You don't mess with old folks.

I did notice that. The guy who pushed the shooter looked young and fit; the guy who got pushed looked frail and stooped over and skinny/old.

The guy didn't need to push that old crank that hard; I doubt shoving at all was needed.

Old guy didn't need to shoot though; seems totally unjustified to me. Clearly the guy has some issues and if he gets away with this murder, what's he gonna do next?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I lived in the Tampa area for quite some time, Clearwater and St Pete have some very evident racial tensions under the surface, so I wasn't particularly surprised at this. "This" being a white guy shooting a black guy. I assumed as much before reading beyond headlines, and was not thinking the black guy was some random thug, either.

i grew up in st pete. was there from 80-96.
it was not under the surface when i was there. it was right out in the open

everything was segregated in st pete back then.
if you know t pete then you know

central avenue was the dividing line. keep in mind this was before they revamped central ave down by the bayfront center and made it a trendy spot.

the black kids would hope the bus to go to school on the north side and after school they got shuttled back south of central avenue.
so during school it was integrated but after school and all summer it was segregated.

during school it was tense man. huge group of 'skinheads' at that time.

of course they were just little bitches but they liked to stir # up.

it was rough man

Yep, I know, and it wasn't just up around St Pete & areas adjacent. Even Sarasota's Newtown neighborhood in the 80's/early 90's was a major No Go hellhole because of the gang & racial violence. I didn't live in FL til the late 80's, and I was a kid then, but as an adult, I got a lot of background from people and even cops about that decade. A cop that we knew told us they would not bother patrolling Newtown at night because they were GOING to get shot at for the trouble. And if you were white, you had no business going there, period. The black residents would make sure you figured that out real quick, either by being "aerated" or "tenderized".

It was really bad in the rough spots in FL back then, and the racial crap was on sleeves. I lived up in suburban Tampa in the 2000's, they were at least making efforts to do better racially in St Pete, but even in the revamped areas, the disdain was still palpable.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Intentional. Joke. No offense meant.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

And with that said... sometimes you just really have to scratch your head and wonder why on earth the whole race thing is such a politically charged issue in the good old US of A.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yes!

That is correct.

Your next assignment is to compose a one-sentence essay on the definition of sarcasm.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

At the point he was forcefully shoved to the ground, he was probably fearing for his life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join