It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Man Shot Dead Over Parking Space Row.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Look like the stand your ground rule is why he isn't being charged. If he did it once he'll likely do it again and this may encourage others to go further than they might otherwise in a tight situation.

I can see that but if you keep your hands to yourself you won't get shot, so are they both wrong (although no one deserved to die)?

It escalated because of both their attitudes. Knocking a man to the ground was assault, the guy was big, young and intimidating. You could tell he was in disbelief for a moment when the guy pulled the gun. No telling what was said which could make a big difference in the outcome. Never threaten to kill someone unless you mean it. Someone just might take you seriously.

This could only happen because 2 people were overly aggressive.
Completely unnecessary.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Wasn't it about her parking in handicapped instead of a normal spot and got called on it.

The girlfriend/baby mama parked in a handicap spot. The old guy called her out on it. They were probably exchanging words.

Boyfriend comes out the store and sees old guy mouthing off at his baby mama, so he just runs up and knocks the guy on his azz. It looked like he might then go for the knock out punch, but the old guy drew his weapon.

The victim sees the gun and clearly is backing away. Old guy then shoots him which to me was not called for in that situation from the video of the incident I saw.

They both were wrong, but the old guy was more wrong imho. I think he should be charged with murder.

Exactly how I saw it. Both were wrong but the man on the ground is in no way right in killing someone over a non-lethal confrontation. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I kind of agree with you here but if you already physically attacked someone you already put your life in danger.

edit on 23-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

how do you determine if it's going to become lethal? do you have to wait for the person who already physically attacked you to stomp you out?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I was surprised to see the man shoot. Had the man approached a second time it would seem more like self defense.

I seem to recall a Florida case where a woman pursued some one in her house and it was deemed not self defense since the person was fleeing when shot.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I agree, but once you attack someone it's GG IMO.

If you put your hands on my I'm going to knock you out. I don't carry but you better believe that a left elbow/ left cross is coming your way AND FAST.

I know, I grew up in a rough area and it was our way of life. Once someone attacks you it's basically game on. You really don't have time to think about it once it happens.

link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
However, because of some ludicrous law, the shooter won't or can't be charged.

The state attorney's office will make the final decision on whether to press charges,

Unless you know something that is not in that article, it's not been decided yet.

End result, you can commit murder and get away with it over something as trivial as parking a car in the wrong place.
www.bbc.com...

If it's self defense, it is not murder. If someone intends you bodily harm, it is self defense. He was clearly assaulted before he pulled his weapon, it will be up the states attorney whether or not it was murder or perhaps manslaughter. Manslaughter would be more likely, since he did it right in the middle of an assault caught on camera.

What about you folks, are you allowed to defend yourselves? If a person who is stronger and larger attacks you, can you use a weapon to defend yourselves? We leave it up to the legal system, what about over there?

link   

I kind of agree with you here but if you already physically attacked someone you already put your life in danger.

Even so, you don't kill people at will for non lethal situation. If it was a cop I could see it happening and someone getting shot. An average joe using stand your ground as justification for murder in self defense. No.

If the assailant had a fire arm too then I would say it was justified.
edit on 23-7-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

how do you determine if it's going to become lethal? do you have to wait for the person who already physically attacked you to stomp you out?

The guy who pushed the gun man down to the ground backed away and was shot

I agree he assaulted the man before he was shot but this was murder , he was not a threat to the man on the ground and was backing away

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Ahh... my connection was flaky. The video loaded.

Well, he was attacked. Does that justify pulling a gun and shooting?

I don't know.

We don't know what the other guy was saying. For all we know the other was saying, "Once you get up I'm gonna kill you". Obviously though, he felt threatened enough to shoot.

Without more information I don't think we can say, with certainty, whether or not the shooting was justified.
edit on 23-7-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

a reply to: roadgravel

Ok, he fired a single shot. I thought it was multiple shots. Don't put your hands on people and you won't get shot. It's that simple.

So lets get this clear.

If there is a lawful demonstration taking place, and counter demonstrators come in and start pushing and shoving and people fall to the ground, they are quite within their right to pull out shooters and begin popping people off?

Is this what you are implying ?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

I rewatched the video and think you're right.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It doesn't require a gun or a firearm unless you are physically incapable of fighting back and genuinely fear a threat on your life.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I'm implying that if someone attacks you you have every right to take whatever action is necessary to stop the attack.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I was surprised to see the man shoot. Had the man approached a second time it would seem more like self defense.

I seem to recall a Florida case where a woman pursued some one in her house and it was deemed not self defense since the person was fleeing when shot.

That's how I looked at it. If the guy approached a second time, then I'd have no problem with him getting shot. However, if someone disengages, then you don't simply have the right to shoot.

What's interesting is that we saw this same situation with Walter Scott in South Carolina, where he was fighting that police officer. He breaks away and the cop unloads on him killing him as he ran away. The cop was found guilty.

Once someone disengages, no matter what they may have done.... you just can't go shoot them. If someone knocks you the F out, you can't then shoot them if they aren't in the process of continuing to assault you.

link   

I'm implying that if someone attacks you you have every right to take whatever action is necessary to stop the attack.

So someone gut punches you one time or slaps you one time and one time only. You kill them on the spot. Do I have that right? Are you saying, you would reach for your side arm at the first chance you can before assessing the situation which takes 5 seconds?

link   

when someone is attacking you there is no reasonable way for you to assume the attack is going to stop

it's great to see that in hindsight but I've been in dozens of crazy scenario's growing up and once it escalates to physical force the entire dynamic changes, you are not sitting there discerning the situation you act or don't and when you don't you pay

it's that clean cut

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

This is one that straddles the line for me.

The main takeaways that I get from this are:
    - Don't be a douche and park in a handicap spot

- Don't be a douche and yell at a woman with a kid in the car about parking in the handicap spot

- Don't assault someone for being a douche and yelling at your girlfriend while your son is in the car

- Make damn well sure that you really feel a need to use a firearm before you pull the trigger

- Reaching for your firearm should rarely be your first instinct during an altercation, especially when you started it

That said, you fail to point out that it is the prosecutor who has the final say in charges, and that is a waiting game.

Personally, I feel that it should at least be take to a grand jury, but that's the thing with stand-your-ground laws--it's all subjective, and becomes very hard for the prosecutors to PROVE that the defendant did not actually fear for his life or that there was impending great bodily harm. I personally like SYG laws, but at the same time, there is a grey area that causes problems from time to time.

I feel bad for the child involved.

edit on 23-7-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
This story has non existent details.

How are you supposed understand what is going on by just a photo?

Where is the actual story?

There is a CCTV video of the incident... I think it is on liveleak.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

if you punch me I'm going to beat your ass, plain and simple. I don't carry but I'm also FULLY capable of defending myself in a physical confrontation so I have no idea what it's like to be the weaker person

the average person who doesn't have 15 of competitive combat sport experience under their belt, well I have no idea what's going through their head

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join