It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the arrogant wealthy think they deserve their $$ and this they are superior

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I had the "privilidge" of working in 2 of the most exclusive areas of the US for a number of years, one was largerly a vacation area (with many rich having summer residence there) and another was a large gated community where most had their primary home (it was an ultra- rich country club & housing community). The houses were anywhere from 3-4,000 ft for a small "bungalo" up to 25,000ft (just for the main house on the property, and maybe 1-3 smaller guest houses of 2-8,000 ft on the property) The lots were anywyere from 1.5-15 acres in size, the largest being about 30 with a total of just under 35,000 sq ft for all houses on property. There were massive security checks to get employed (had to have reference from other working there, residents, etc) and even then there was a watchful eye.

While working at the main club house of the gated community I have to say that all the residents were more than kind and I only encountered a few rude people who I think were just having really bad days. What I did notice was an attitude that seemed to permiate the club members where they were not interested in anything related to the employees (for the most part, some took attention to some like pretty girls, boys, etc) and this was VASTLY different from other upscale places where I worked (no where near the same level, but most were multi millionaires with a few billionaires thrown in). These people took the time to get to know the employees, about their families and even personal lives. This often lead to VERY good tips at this place for all workers, where the gated community (with a MUCH higher level of average income) it was almost the opposite and the behavior was more dismissive and uncaring on many occasions. I can't say that this may have been due to the fact I has less interaction at the gated country club community, as I was an IT manager who only over-heard interactions, but it was noticeable in morale.

When working at a place where the yearly membership fee is more than the employees make in 2-5 years, and profits are mainly dispursed to the top 3-6 executives often paying minimum wage to all employees, this just seems so unjust that I could spit on the patrons and management (of which I was one, but not executive). Many workers worked 1-2 side jobs to be able to live in a slum. The go to work every day, park $150-500,000 cars for 8 hours and come home with maybe $75 cash in tips and the $8/hr. This included a complete car wash, light detail (vacuum, interior wipe down, etc) and they would tip maybe 10% what it would cost to have this service done at a car wash. If there was damage (most often there when dropping it off) it could lead to being fired or the repair being taken from paychecks. This was on the West Coast about 45 mins N of central San Diego.

The other place I worked at was on the East coast and had a wide range of wealthy from those who "summered" on the Island in $18-30 million houses to those who had $2-4 million houses with many in between. I was friends with a lot of their children my same age and actually got along really well with them, dated 3 different girls who had wealthy parents (one from a VERY wealthy dynasty). The children were 95% down to earth when it was just the 2 of us or maybe one other "lower class person" but when a group got together of the wealthy elites, it was totally different. There would be people ordering $200-500 bottles for our table, maybe 3-5 over a 5-8 hour night, and use "po boys" never ordered them and tried to not drink unless shots were being offered. But at the end we were expected to split checks - REALLY! A person driving a $7,000 car and then local royalty driving a $60K-200,000 (most didn't have jobs either, or they were often minimum wage jobs like pool attendant at the country club - basically socialite) never thought that us peons would have major problems paying for this - and when an issue did arise, they acted surprised we couldnt' spend $400 for 4-5 shots of a bottle of vodka (which we never ordered, poured, or helped outselves). These sessions didn't last after the second time but remained friends with the girls I dated and a few guys who were "brothers" (greek wise).

On top of this, many girls expected to have all their drinks paid for, even when they ordered crazy expensive stuff. Luckily the ones I finally got to date were happy with domestic beers (bottles) and good company after the first couple meetings. I think it was the local guys trying to push out the "po boy" competition by ordering the expensive stuff.

This type of thing happens in all kinds of situations and on various levels of income where it can be going out for dinner (work related, or dating) and people are just oblivious or don't care about others financial issues.

The next big issue is dealing with the previous generations that wrecked the economy (boomers) and continue to blame younger generations for their living and financial situation, while most live high on the hog (spending VAST sums of money while their younger family struggles)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Are you bitching about not getting tips at a country club where you worked IT? Sounds like you are the one who feels they deserve something.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Don't be a richphobe.

Just say no!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There has been a cultural disconnect between your actions in business and the moral implication those actions have on the community around you.

I believe this disconnect if the main reason for the paradigm we are experience.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Why do you care how they live?

I think if you spent less time worrying about other people and more time focusing on yourself. You might be better off.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I've worked for a lot of millionaires in my lifetime.
There is a big difference between new money and old money.
The ones that earned their millions are usually very down to earth and generous.
The kids and especially grand kids of millionaires tend to look down on the huddled masses.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Ive lived in some of the wealthieat counties in the country and there is for sure a prevailing attitude of arrogance and an attitude of "I deserve it and you're a loser" that eminates from many.

But ive also know incredibly wealthy families who are totally awesome giving grrat people.

I would say the arrogant entitled narcissism is the prevailing attitude among the American upper class.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Are you bitching about not getting tips at a country club where you worked IT? Sounds like you are the one who feels they deserve something.

No, not at all. I was talking about the valet drivers I worked with.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is what happens to people who don't pay attention in school.
You caused this yourself.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

TIL: Wealthy people can afford more expensive cars and spendier wines than non wealthy people.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I run into more entitlement attitude from millennials but it is in rich society too.

The rich tend to believe they have earned it.
Millenials tend to believe they deserve it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

TIL: Wealthy people can afford more expensive cars and spendier wines than non wealthy people.

And they pay a snip ton in property taxes.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

What people who write posts like this don't seem to get is that entitlement and dismissiveness and selfishness are not unique traits to wealthy folks, neither is greed come to think of it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Rich people are the best people on the planet bar none.
edit on 23-7-2018 by karmicecstasy because: I changed my mind. Screw those stuck up rich people....my shill fee did not get paid on time

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What people who write posts like this don't seem to get is that entitlement and dismissiveness and selfishness are not unique traits to wealthy folks, neither is greed come to think of it.

it's definitely a culture issue

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

More like rich people are just people, good, bad, etc.

Make sure you aren't wearing green glasses when you look at them.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I have faily that spans a lot of economic ladder rungs.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I wouldn't go that far.

Pick any demographic one is sure to find sniphats.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Ive lived in some of the wealthieat counties in the country and there is for sure a prevailing attitude of arrogance and an attitude of "I deserve it and you're a loser" that eminates from many.

But ive also know incredibly wealthy families who are totally awesome giving grrat people.

I would say the arrogant entitled narcissism is the prevailing attitude among the American upper class.

Very well said and I think that the old money often came about before there was the massive govenrment teet off of which many suck (corperate wise). This old money is what I described in my 3rd thread that talked about resource degradation over the last 300 years. People who were timber barons when states were solid old growth trees made their (then millions) from harvesting the natural resources that were available at the time, now the resources have been depelted so much that there are few options left besides land development or selling off land, which is the final option to keep some income and after that, they are looking at wage slavery.

This "old money" from the barons of old, are the old money, and I think many of them realized how fortunate they were to be blessed with such abundance, and many being of a religious mindset, often gave back to the community either through good wages or by building churches and community housing (much of which was MUCH better built than even today's McMansions). Yes, this old money seems to often have a different perspective and it is difficult to seperate these from the neuvo-rich when looking at the wealthy in the nation.

When I look at people like Gates, Bezos, Zuckerburg, etc I don't see the humility that I see from many of the older families let alone the class which emanates from the older families.

The whole notion of donating 50% of their fortunes (neuvo-rich) is, in my eyes, nothing more than a wealth preservation scheme where they control the charites and the endeavors which they want to pursue, often causing much more harm than had they done nothing. It gives them, their family & later generations (grand kids) a guaranteed position in the charity where they can live like kings "doing good" while increasing their paper wealth and control of that money through hand picked board of directors. This is especially important when companies may not be a dominate in 5-20 years time, where they could eventually be bankrupt in their original ventures - so they create a charity that is protected and has little oversite (relative to their original business) and a tax shelter - so they can retain their power and control of those under them. Make no mistake, these 50% donations aren't for the good of the many, while that may be the intended goal/claim, it is self preservation and to keep them in importance.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I run into more entitlement attitude from millennials but it is in rich society too.

The rich tend to believe they have earned it.
Millenials tend to believe they deserve it.

rofl, have a hard time not including your Millennial bashing in a thread huh?

which Millennial's are we talking about? Not the one's in their 30's who work full time, many of them 2 jobs right? Or the ones who fought the illegal banker wars for the last 16 years? Or the ones like me who work full time in the trades and are also getting an education?

ar·ro·gant
ˈerəɡənt/Submit
adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

usually people who bash millennial's tend to have this quality, the "I earned it and you're a loser" attitude, the very attitude the OP was referncing

I've been waiting for the usual suspects to provide gleaning examples of this in the thread... I'm sure some of you are having a REALLLY hard time holding back

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join