It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yikes! Tesla is asking suppliers to REFUND PAYMENTS.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

It was actually Garden State.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I never bought that heavy launch car into space bit with the booster rockets landing and all. Total bs.
This just confirms it even more for me.
I am starting to think that Musk is a specially designed, self-destructive MKULTRA mind control government side project made to help foster the ideas of private space travel and futuristic cool sh!t.
Total fraud. So dumb that he felt the need to cling to the name of one of the most brilliant scientists of all time, Tesla.

Every other mainstream car company is blowing Musk away with progress on their electric and hybrid cars.
WTF, this guy can't do anything right.

What's next for this guy, run for president?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Infrastructure is right, but for different reason...............

Looking online at charge rates of 70-80 KW for an auto and up to 1000 KW for a truck is a huge problem if only 10% of owners bought these.

The huge problem is the required construction of additional power plants, Running up peak load gas turbines (fuel surcharges) when commuters get home and recharge nearly at same time and up-sizing line-sets for a nearly doubled load capacity to do the job.

Who gets to pay for that? electric car owners, doubt it, electric truckers nope...............it'll be everyone connected to the grid that is who!

Until electric utilities come up with a way to have the end user/causee of grid/power-station upgrades directly pay those costs I don't think any others should involuntarily subsidize your electric car whims, nor trucks.

Maybe Various States Public Utilities Commissions or Authorities can directly tax electric car companies/owners for grid upgrades necessitated by their use.

Maybe these should be kept in heavy city/urban centers exclusively where ancillary costs to general public can more easily be recovered.

Seems to me this area is one missed or ignored in discussions of widespread electric vehicle use.

edit on 23-7-2018 by Phoenix because: add comment

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Could not resist:

As for passenger cars, the new Audi e-tron is excellent:

The host is quite good in general. He mentions other competing vehicles and has reviews of them and lots of other vehicles.

For the first time ever, I'm tempted by a hybrid, for $449 a month...

www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-GLC/bodystyle-SUV

www.mbusa.com...

edit on 23-7-2018 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Maybe, but it certainly isn't on the horizon.

It's closer than you think. Apple has been trading on it's name and image for too long. People are waking up and realizing that their quality and capabilities are not worth what they are charging. Nike is going the same way.

Some day we'll see either Apple iPhones that run Android, or an Apple overlay skin for Android, or both.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Actually, you are only partially correct.

Setting aside the operating system for a second, the quality of the build and parts in a Mac have far exceeded any PC that I have ever owned or worked on. In my job, I have an iMac Pro, a MacBook Pro, and an HP ProBook. In the seven years that I've worked this job, I have had to replace my PC three times, with some people in the office on their fourth or fifth, and it's because parts on the machine fail (screens go out, speakers quit working, card readers fail, keyboards stop registering key strokes, etc.).

The Macs just keep humming along, although we have replaced them simply because of age. I've never said that about a PC--we've always replaced them because of problems.

Of course, someone can make a Yugo as high-quality as a Bentley with enough time a work, but if you'll note in my original comment in this thread:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

They are a product that has superior screens and graphics cards right out of the box, and their products (speaking mainly about laptops and desktops right now) run circles around the longevity of their products versus the average PC.

That's the crux of my point--when you pull a Mac out of the box and set it up, generally speaking, it's good to go and will go for a very long time...much longer than the many PCs that I've gone through in my life, both professionally and privately. Hell, even my wife switched her computer at home to a MacBook because she got tired of all of the problems with the build quality of most PCs.

So there is nothing "identical to PCs" about Macs, unless you're talking in technicalities about things which I'm no expert on, but I know from 16 years of working on Macs that they run circles around quality and stability of PCs.

I don't care about Linux because I've never worked with that OS and I never brought them up.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Pretty much my understanding as well - perception is in the eye of the beholder of the Apple user.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Apple is next.
A grand for a phone...ugh

Doubtful, I was at the mall Saturday and the line was out the door at the Apple store. I highly doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.

ETA: And they are more than just iPhones.

Last Saturday I was in the Bay Area for work. Took part of the day off to visit the Apple headquarters. It has a visitors center that's very stylish. It has a chorus of people outside chanting Apple slogans, and inside they have an Apple branded coffee shop where you can buy a 4 oz coffee for $4+tax.

Forget the phones, those coffee margins alone are going to keep the company going.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm actually pretty surprised Apple has survived as long as they have.

If it wasn't for the counter-culture in this country (and others) Apple wouldn't have a competitive leg to stand on. People buy Apple to be different, to be part of the Apple culture. Their products are not that superior, and LINUX (et.al.) must be putting a serious hurt on both them and MS.

Apple is good at graphics and that's about it. They don't play at all in a server environment, which pretty much cuts out half or more of their potential market.

Apple has one thing on their competitors. They have the best security. They don't bundle your data and sell it off and their hardware is the most secure against casual intrusion.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

That's a good point on the power usage. The electricity has to come from somewhere, and already we have hoards of people opposing any infrastructure enhancement in power production that will work within the laws of physics. I really don't see any way forward to fill that sort of demand other than nuclear at this time... and that's going to be a few years off if we started every new plant today.

Not to mention the US currently has a shortage of uranium.

If we went toward fossil fuel plants, it would drive the cost of fuel through the roof globally due to the increased demand. I don't think we want to burn that bridge just yet.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneckUntil we have recharging stations across the country like we do gas stations

Most gas stations in developed areas have them. Additionally, just about every business in California offers free car charging to it's employees. You just fill up before or after work.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What I'm trying to convey is that while Tesla is a great concept Musk is not the right guy in my opinion. Jobs did an infintely better job with his products.

Musk is Woz. He's got good ideas and can make them happen.

Jobs was more of a marketing guy. He took the stupidest concepts and made them sound appealing.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
It is a shame what is happening to Tesla and I do fear they will go under or get bought out and rebranded. I do wonder what happened to the plan of eventually making electric cars more affordable. Most of these cars are way out of range of the average consumer, not only that but I believe the majority of average consumers would choose an electric car over a gas car if given the right price.

The average new car in the US costs $36,000. Model 3's begin at $35,000.

They're no less affordable than any other car out there.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

If they got corporate welfare like Ford or any other big house then Tesla would be bigger than apple.

Too bad Tesla cant run an unprofitable company and then just ask the government for a profit, like their competitors do.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Part of that is because you're buying a low end laptop. You do realize there's high end laptops out there too?

My old college laptop is a Lenovo Y7XX (I forget exactly). It's 5 years old and as good as the day I bought it. Thanks to the fact that it has dual video cards in it, even being 5 years old it keeps up with anything I throw at it.

My current laptop is an MSI Dominator I think the model was. It's 2 years old, has a 2.7 ghz processor, 1080 graphics card, and 32 gb of ram. I've never had a single issue with it.

Apple uses higher end equipment (and they charge a huge premium for it), but you can get something just as long lived for half the price.

Work just bought me a Macbook Pro because I asked for something to compile Apple software on. The laptop cost $7000 for the same hardware my $3500 Alienware laptop (my usual development laptop) has. It better last a long time.
edit on 25-7-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Not good enough. Not everyone lives in "developed areas" or even can stay in "developed areas" while traveling.

We need at least 90% of ALL stations everywhere supplying some way to recharge, or we don't have sufficient infrastructure.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Infrastructure takes time, and if you live in a place that's 20 years behind the rest of the world technologically, then expect it to take an extra 20 years for your area to support something.

Look at the move to higher bandwidth activities like constantly streaming video. Rural areas and even some cities don't have that, but that's where the technology is moving.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: Masterjaden

I don't care about Linux because I've never worked with that OS and I never brought them up.

You have more Linux experience than most Windows users... What do you think MacOS actually is? (Clue: It's a BSD / Linux OS...)

But of course, Apple still want to charge you $99 and sign a NDA to confirm it is BSD, running FreeX86 as a graphics front end but with closed proprietary drivers...

When you actually put your money where your mouth is and sign that NDA, you'll realise that there is zero difference (zip, nada, nil) between a 'Mac' and a 'PC' to the point where Apple have innovated varies hardware DRM solutions to prevent common components being swapped or upgraded.

Buy a mac, you buy last year's PC but with a support dude to talk you through using their product until the next latest and greatest comes along.

Buy a PC, you get today's hardware - bung Open BSD on it and you practically have a mac - hell you can even load MacOS onto it right down to binary compatibility - only $1000 cheaper, 100% upgradeable but no support dude to talk you through (or shaft you for $1400 for a $80 1Tb hdd upgrade)

As for Tesla... Kind of want them to do well, but as others have said, Musk might just not be the right man for the job.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Infrastructure takes time, and if you live in a place that's 20 years behind the rest of the world technologically, then expect it to take an extra 20 years for your area to support something.

That is very true. and the biggest reason Musk was fighting an uphill battle.

Again, I do give Musk credit for at least starting the infrastructure changeover, Since he introduced the Tesla, charging stations are popping up, as you say, in major cities. That opens up a niche market for people who only drive inside those cities, and that niche market will drive expansion of the infrastructure. At the rate this is going, I might get to see when electric vehicles overtake gasoline/diesel vehicles in number.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 30 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Hmmm...I'd be interested to see the $7000 MacBook Pro. If you go to the store on Apple's site right now, the most expensive base-model 15-inch MacBook Pro starts at $2,799.

Now, if you go in max-out all of the options when ordering, you can bring it up to $6,699, but then you're getting 2.9GHz 6-core processor (with turbo boost up to 4.8GHz), 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory, and a 4TB SSD hard drive.

That's a pretty sweet machine, no matter how you cut it nor how closely you can build a PC laptop to emulate it (and you still won't get the Retina Display...or maybe you can get an equivalent, but I haven't seen one that is close).

Look, I get your point, and that's fine, but if you'll remember my point, it's that the consumer can get the cheapest MacBook out there and still expect high quality and a long life of usage and stability, whereas you can't expect that with most consumer-grade PCs, even ones that approach the cost of a base-model Mac.

But, yes, there are good PC builders out there, AlienWare obviously being one (especially for gaming), but nothing that you said negates my point in the previous paragraph and in my comment to which you replied.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join