It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yikes! Tesla is asking suppliers to REFUND PAYMENTS.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Highways have weight limits.
80k lbs.

When the tractors battery pack takes away load capacity and limits range you will not make truckers happy.
Batteries are to damn heavy.

They are estimated to weigh 10k pounds with battery tech.

edit on 23-7-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Eta

www.google.com...

edit on 23-7-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Back in the day, Apple focused on multimedia while PCs were designed for more general use. That gave Apple a major edge in artistic endeavors... video editing, graphics, even audio. Over time, AMD and Intel have recognized their mistake and have caught up, optimizing their processors for multimedia as well. The advantage that Macs have over PCs in multimedia is only in the minds of those who don't realize times have changed.

There is no longer any appreciable difference between the PC and Mac in that respect.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

TA...How is this even legal???

Same way Clinton had a surplus.

Creative accounting.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The Tesla cool aid will only last so long.
Musk is a con man.
Apple is next.
A grand for a phone...ugh

nypost.com...

Mark these words, by November 1st we're going to see some interesting things happen.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Jobs and Wozniak created a revolution, an absolute Mt. Everest of a paradigm shift in how the world did things. They created the "Personal Computer". Something worthy of not just a page, but rather a whole chapter in the annals of world history.

Musk built a car.

Different paradigm.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

Why November 1st?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Range is the big deal with trucks. It's not unusual to travel 700 miles a day, legally, for a solo driver. Teams average 60 miles per hour on coast-to-coast runs, with zero down time.

Recharge time is another big deal. Refueling a truck at a truck stop with double pumps can be done in less than 15 minutes. Every minute over that is another minute on duty that takes away from the strictly allotted driving times.

Less payload capacity, less range, more down time charging... not gonna happen any time soon unless the industry changes completely. Drivers wouldn't make enough to eat.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I know.
Electric long haul trucks will not work today.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I get what you are saying. You were just saying it wrong. AND, you didn't take into account the weight of the existing drivetrain which will partially offset the battery weight. A detroit engine weighs at least 1300 lbs, plus the transmission and fuel tanks could add another ton or so.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Agreed, but this is Model T days for electric Semi's. Whats wrong with using them for short haul routes? Better yet, Why haven't they gone to diesel-electrics like trains use?

ETA, 500-600 mile range...allegedly, but confirmed by a trucking partner. Take that as you will.

electrek.co...

electrek.co...
edit on 23-7-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If it wasn't for the counter-culture in this country (and others) Apple wouldn't have a competitive leg to stand on. People buy Apple to be different, to be part of the Apple culture. Their products are not that superior, and LINUX (et.al.) must be putting a serious hurt on both them and MS.

Macs are superior where it counts for professionals who use programs that run with much more stability on them, especially the Adobe suites of software. They are a product that has superior screens and graphics cards right out of the box, and their products (speaking mainly about laptops and desktops right now) run circles around the longevity of their products versus the average PC.

Apple is good at graphics and that's about it. They don't play at all in a server environment, which pretty much cuts out half or more of their potential market.

Actually, they have very good server compatability, the problem is that most people who run server environments are ignorant to how to integrate them and are unwilling to invest the time and effort to learn and try.

I know this first-hand, because my day job consists of me using a Mac on a federal server environment, and it communicates and works just fine. The problem is, it could be doing a lot more and a lot better on the server, but the IT idiots are unwilling to try and therefore put more effort into stonewalling the compatibility of Macs on their environment than they do expanding their knowledge of how to do it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The Tesla cool aid will only last so long.
Musk is a con man.
Apple is next.

nypost.com...

Apple does have something going for them... they are not the enemy of the big oil; Tesla is.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Teslas biggest enemy is musk himself.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Teslas biggest enemy is musk himself.

I just wonder how much more of the sideshow buffoonery the board takes before they either have a no confidence vote or toss him outright.

edit on 23-7-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Ironic you would mention Adobe products. The very foundation of Adobe was designed to address document format compatibility issues across platforms like Apple. In fact, the underpinning principle of the original Adobe was the .PDF file format ("portable document format", but you knew that already).

You talk about "time and effort" to make Apple compatible with the rest of the PC world, but it's not that...it's $$$$$. That time and effort costs $$$. So does all the re licensing and changes to enterprise true-up agreements, not to mention firewall issues and networking changes required.

But before you get angry with me, know this...I HATE MicroSHAFT! Hate them with a purple passion! I would love nothing better than to see Apple be a player in the enterprise business marketplace, but I'm sorry, they just aren't. And, from all outward appearances, they really don't have any desire to go there in the foreseeable future.

Both MicroSHAFT and Apple have dug their battle trenches and have vowed to be arch rivals to the bitter end, come what may for either.

I would love to have seen things like some of the attributes of Apple graphics worked into engineering design tools like 3-D modeling and lifecycle management tools like BIM (among others). Sure, Apple plays there a little, but they are not compatible in the vast majority of the industry standards out there. And why is this? Because they don't play nicely in an enterprise environment.

I had a very wise old man tell me once..."The machine should work for YOU! You should NEVER work for the machine. When you do, there's something wrong" Pretty profound advice I've always thought. When you try to integrate Apple into the enterprise server realm...you're working for the machine, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Ha...I'm not getting angry with you, but I get angry with our IT department stonewalling us out of laziness. Remember, I'm in a federal office, and my particular office has a decent amount of funds, and our directors are more than happy to spend the money necessary to fully network our Macs.

It's the IT people who keep claiming that it cannot be accomplished, even though there are other agencies in government who already have Macs fully networked with all necessary security measures.

I'm not denying that it costs money, but that's not the issue in my experience.

I would argue that this very wise old man never had a job that necessitated a Mac (if we want full capabilities in our job) in a government facility with lazy-ass IT people who could relatively easily get things accomplished if they weren't allergic to a little hard work.

You'll just have to take my word on that last part, but if you were here, you'd understand. But I comprehend what you're saying as well. Change is often scary and expensive, but in the end, could and would be very worth it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Apple is next.

Doubtful, I was at the mall Saturday and the line was out the door at the Apple store. I highly doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.

ETA: And they are more than just iPhones.

Yep, they also sell crappy tablets and god awful computers... Annnnnd then there's some great software too, like itunes.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Apple computers have been # since the Intel amd wars made their risc based processors obsolete.

They've lived on the backs of Steve jobs consumer confidence, and the I line. I Macs I phones, I pads,I pods etc.

They're due to fall again and they no longer have jobs to fall back on.

Jaden
edit on 23-7-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Lol. Nope aside from better shielding on their laptops, they're identical to PC's their biggest benefit is a more stable, but less compatible, operating system because they limit hardware compatibility and allow little to no third party driver support. The things that make them better are also their biggest weaknesses.

Jaden

You can get the same stability by running Linux and VM Ware of Windows since VM Ware uses a singular Linux driver for translating hardware.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Apple is next.

Doubtful, I was at the mall Saturday and the line was out the door at the Apple store. I highly doubt they are going anywhere anytime soon.

ETA: And they are more than just iPhones.

Yeah, I don’t know why one would equate Musk with Apple. It’s like comparing Pee-wee Hermann with Jim Brown

Livingston mall, eh… Haven’t been there in ages. You mean to tell me their still in business, Bezos hasn’t destroyed them yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join