It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yikes! Tesla is asking suppliers to REFUND PAYMENTS.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Telsa's problem was not addressing infrastructure enough.

I want a Tesla. I really, really do. If I had the money, I would be seriously looking to test-drive one... oh, wait...

In order to get a test-drive, based on my location, I would have to go to either Hotlanta or Nastyville. If I liked it, I would have to order it, pay a deposit, and wait longer than I would for a Rolls-Royce. Then, when it was delivered, if there ever were a problem, I would have to have it towed to either Hotlanta or Nastyville. Since it would likely take more than a few hours to repair, how do I get back home? Do they guarantee loaner cars? What kind? Doesn't such a guarantee, along with the fact I can't get it repaired anywhere else, also guarantee a high repair cost?

If I wanted to take a trip, I would have to check online to see what charging stations were en route. Since most of these are on major throughways, I wouldn't be able to take the road less traveled and see the scenery. Charging overnight might be an issue; do hotels allow you to charge your batteries overnight? Seems to me that would be a hassle finding one who would, since it's probably not a frequent request.

And what would I do if Tesla went out of business? If I have a Toyota or Chevy or Challenger, there are other places besides the dealership to get parts and service. With Tesla, not so much. So one announcement, and a breakdown, and there's 100 grand for a big paperweight I have to mow around.

This is just what I have been saying for years now... it's not that electric cars are bad, or won't work, or are technologically unfeasible... it's that there's little to no infrastructure to support them. Until we have recharging stations across the country like we do gas stations, and until we have repair shops across the country that can handle them, the electric cars are going to remain a niche market. I will give Musk one kudos: he has created an interest in an electric car and has started the infrastructure change to accommodate them. I imagine that's little consolidation to his shareholders, but it is a good thing nevertheless.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The challenge with the electric cars is not the car itself, but the battery technology.

"Smart Roadway" holds some promise, but this will take decades if not longer to develop and deploy. Until then electric car manufacturers are constrained by battery tech. This is why much of Musk's R&D money right now is going into battery tech, and not car design. Tesla has already saturated the market for high end electric cars, and this is exampled by the surplus of backstock Tesla has right now.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: Bluntone22

The payload is on the trailer. You ever picked up a Cummins diesel and transmission?? Plus the 300 gallon saddle tanks?

Payload is a total of tractor and trailer with cargo.
They dont just weigh the trailer.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Post your order form. As mentioned, my neighbor had his.

I wouldn't order one in the first place.
I think Tesla will fail.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The current batteries have guarantee for 100k miles but after what period does the performance and range suffer as the batteries get older

Might get to a point when it’s needs a full charge for a short trip

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Both companies sold an image.
Only one ever delivered.

I'd say they more than delivered, they were the most highly valued company for some time and are still immensely popular and profitable.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Hope you’re right.

I work for the NSA, .

Well atleast your an honest Mason that admits working for the National Santanic Association?

In regards to tesla , not looking good for them along with the latest Elon craziness.

edit on 01731America/ChicagoMon, 23 Jul 2018 10:01:34 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

ETA...How is this even legal???

It'll be interesting to see which Auditor signs off on these accounts. Where are the regulators?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What I'm trying to convey is that while Tesla is a great concept Musk is not the right guy in my opinion. Jobs did an infintely better job with his products.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Don't you think that the same thing happened when Henry started flooding the streets with Model T's? How many gas stations you think there were in 1908 compared to hay bails and oat buckets? Other companies stepped up. The government stepped up. That isn't happening for Tesla.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It is a shame what is happening to Tesla and I do fear they will go under or get bought out and rebranded. I do wonder what happened to the plan of eventually making electric cars more affordable. Most of these cars are way out of range of the average consumer, not only that but I believe the majority of average consumers would choose an electric car over a gas car if given the right price.

I have always wanted an electric car but never have been able to afford the car payments for it, as a matter of fact anything over 40k is too much hahah. If Tesla isn't the one to make it happen I can only hope that another car company can properly meet the demand and create a nice affordable electric car for the average joe.

edit on 23-7-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
They should have just focused on quality and manufacturing instead of rushing to get so many model 3 cars out the door. So what if there is a long wait. Just makes the car that much more desirable.

Auto researchers suspect that about 1/4 of the Model 3 reservations have been cancelled. That might go a long way to explaining the cash crisis, because their reservation money will need to be refunded, and most likely it has already been spent. This is probably why Tesla made the unusual choice recently to allow people who reserved their Model 3 to "configure" it -- after they make an additional $2500 payment.

I suspect Tesla will get acquired by another car company as a subbrand.

For sure, the name has value. My guess is the Tesla brand will get purchased out of bankruptcy. The company itself has too much debt. I'll be surprised if any established automaker will want to take it on, or be willing to service Tesla's vehicles.
edit on 23-7-2018 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
Well at least your an honest Mason that admits working for the National Satanic Association?

The pay is great but my boss can be a bit of a micromanager.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
The current batteries have guarantee for 100k miles but after what period does the performance and range suffer as the batteries get older

Might get to a point when it’s needs a full charge for a short trip

Kind of like the good ol bait put out by the cell phone companies with their unlimited limited data plan that cap you to 6k download speeds after x amount of data. But hey technically you have unlimited data just not usable.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Maybe, but it certainly isn't on the horizon.

It's closer than you think. Apple has been trading on it's name and image for too long. People are waking up and realizing that their quality and capabilities are not worth what they are charging. Nike is going the same way.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And they are more than just iPhones.

"I got a Mac, only Mac users would understand why we pay a premium over Win PC's."

Why Consumers Pay More for Apple Products
www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
The challenge with the electric cars is not the car itself, but the battery technology.

"Smart Roadway" holds some promise, but this will take decades if not longer to develop and deploy. Until then electric car manufacturers are constrained by battery tech. This is why much of Musk's R&D money right now is going into battery tech, and not car design. Tesla has already saturated the market for high end electric cars, and this is exampled by the surplus of backstock Tesla has right now.

I read an article last week about how people have found industrial lots full of Teslas. Thousands of them, just sitting there. This is a common problem in the auto industry. Demand has fallen off, and they're now making cars faster than they can sell them. What saves your typical automaker is that they have a full line of vehicles, so if demand is soft in one sector there's usually another sector going strong.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
It's closer than you think. Apple has been trading on it's name and image for too long. People are waking up and realizing that their quality and capabilities are not worth what they are charging. Nike is going the same way.

There was a crap ton of 'un-awoke' people at the mall. And that store was immense.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And they are more than just iPhones.

"I got a Mac, only Mac users would understand why we pay a premium over Win PC's."

Why Consumers Pay More for Apple Products
www.cnbc.com...

Your linked article is from 2011.
Apple was getting ready to release the iPhone 5.
Other manufacturers have caught up.
I can't speak personally on their computers so I will not comment but their phones are not cutting edge anymore.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No, that is GVWR. Payload is what is on the trailer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join