It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University chaplain removed after holding service to atone for Gay Pride event

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

His beliefs are incompatible with the role. If you are not able to do the role its not discrimination.

Being a priest doesn't automatically make you anti gay. His sermon on the other hand clearly was.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I am just at a loss how the chaplain can atone for some one else's choices by holding a service or is that just a silly by line to get attention, sell advertisements

One of the things I find funny is how many here in this thread are bitching how bad this guy is for bitching about gays
Most of you are no better, just have a different stance but acting exactly the same

You just don't see it, pretty funny

Being homophobic and thinking a homophobe is unsuitable for a chaplain role at a university is really not the same.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

How was he not backed by Christ? Christ forgives but He said He did not come to cancel the law.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Who says he's homophobic? People who disagree with homos aren't afraid of them lol.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
his beliefs and religion were incompatible to begin with then , because God does not like homosexuals , its a part of being christian isnt it ?

Also just for the religious folks out there, how can Religion adapt and change if gods word is sacrosanct?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Where does it say God doesn't love homosexuals, who's God are you discussing, the Christian God?
Assumptions?

As for Gods word needing to change, why?
What are you getting at?
edit on 23-7-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Who says he's homophobic? People who disagree with homos aren't afraid of them lol.

Jaden

I have a phobia of people who don't understand the difference between the meaning and etymology of words.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I think the point is that he is acting as a representative of the University. Nobody would care what he said on his own time, And I’m sure that at least some of the students would agree with him.

Another question, should his opinion be defended because it is his “religious” beliefs? Does it make a difference that this belief comes from his interpretation of the religious book? Or should bad ideas be shunned regardless of what justification someone pleads?
edit on 23-7-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
his beliefs and religion were incompatible to begin with then , because God does not like homosexuals , its a part of being christian isnt it ?

Also just for the religious folks out there, how can Religion adapt and change if gods word is sacrosanct?

Well he wasn't preaching about shellfish eaters was he.

Religion is a social construct. It evolves all the time. Modern religion is fundamentally different from even 50 years ago.
edit on 23-7-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Raggedyman

I think the point is that he is acting as a representative of the University. Nobody would care what he said on his own time, And I’m sure that at least some of the students would agree with him.

Another question, should his opinion be defended because it is his “religious” beliefs? Does it make a difference that this belief comes from his interpretation of the religious book? Or should bad ideas be shunned regardless of what justification someone pleads?

I didn't notice anyone defending him, not suggesting anyone should
I think he should have been dismissed, happy about that happening
I am an advocate of free will and Christians loving not judging

Aside he is a Catholic and the Catholics are known for their anti gay stance, though many Protestants are as well.

My issue is he condemned many and then many condemned him, kind of a race to the bottom
Dare I preach at anti Christians, don't become devicive like that narrow minded fool, it's not just ungodly to act that way, it's just not nice to treat people like that
But that's a Christian opinion

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Are they going to ban all religion from UNI

Let's hope so.

because GODS dont like LGBT ?

Prove it. There are absolutely no words written by "GODS" The words were written by men. Any man can write any word and say it is the word of a god.

This chaplain doesn't like gays, and he conforms to his religion in this. If he isn't tolerant of GLBT then he shouldn't be at a University in the first place...that's one of the meccas (religious pun intended) of GLBT.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Authoritarian tactics, surely, would be to beat the person into submission physically, then start a movement which seeks to deport all such people from the country?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Yes, he forgives.

Above and beyond all other things he does, he does that. Its kind of the whole deal with Christ. If its all you know about the guy, you know enough.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I think he does too, however, I have to question the details. How do we know this? Because we've been told through history that he does?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

So Glasgow Caledonian University and the LGBT groups ...

So putting religion to one side, because that's complex and often about conscience.

What we have here is another example of a group acting to kill-off any form of dissent, or contrary opinion. Soon, probably very soon, some universities will be intellectual backwaters where any form of debate or "alternative" viewpoints are not expressed due to fear and/or rules. Whatever happened to diversity?

Who suffers from the approach? Ultimately students suffer as they form an artificial and filtered view of reality, and that's not an education.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Its that questioning, critical thinking, that has me so utterly flummoxed about the amount of prejudice and hate often experienced by people, from the direction of the church. People aren't listening to Christ, they are listening to the mortal, flawed people who follow him, and that is dangerous, because that gets you morons like the WBC, and this clergyman in Scotland. Its not his purpose or right to judge his fellow man, that is the job of God.

To elevate himself to the point where he tries to take on the mantle of either Christ, or God, and sit in judgement, is pretty questionable at best.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

So Glasgow Caledonian University and the LGBT groups ...

So putting religion to one side, because that's complex and often about conscience.

What we have here is another example of a group acting to kill-off any form of dissent, or contrary opinion. Soon, probably very soon, some universities will be intellectual backwaters where any form of debate or "alternative" viewpoints are not expressed due to fear and/or rules. Whatever happened to diversity?

Who suffers from the approach? Ultimately students suffer as they form an artificial and filtered view of reality, and that's not an education.

No one is killing of contrary optinion or stifling debate.

This isn't a controversal speaker being no platformed. His role was to provide pastoral support to students, he can't effectively do that if he is blatantly prejudiced against a significant number of them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join