It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University chaplain removed after holding service to atone for Gay Pride event

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
So Glasgow Caledonian University and the LGBT groups in Glasgow have put pressure on the chaplain and had him removed from his chaplaincy in the Uni for his remarks he made for his service held in his parish after the LGBT Pride parade in glasgow.

Chaplain removed - BBC

after the LGBT PRide event , the Chaplain held his own service in his own church at Balarnock and stated that the LGBT Pride event was an offense to god!
He was then asked to leave his chaplaincy at the Uni in Glasgow

The university stated they were all about equality and diversity and supported the LGBT groups.

I think to begin with this is just mental

we have a minority group battling another minority group and stating its all for equality and diversity.

Firstly I do not agree with the chaplains stance on LGBT , and second I do not agree with the UNI's decision to end his chaplaincy

they have abandoned supporting his religious rights and beliefs over another group in what appears to be a hypocritical move to silence one group for another.

It should come as no surprise that Religion doesnt agree with LGBT , that has been made obvious for as long as we have known religion.
So the University has known for a long time that this mans religion is against LGBT .
The chaplain making these remarks whilst distasteful and wrong , are still his religious beliefs and are protected by law!
Then we have the LGBT crowd complaining that this minister shouldnt be allowed to say this without consequence.

The LGBT crowd are up in arms , because an imaginary man in the sky doesnt like LGBT , yet still watches all the gay men and women during intercourse through his omnipotence!

I think its all a bit much over something they have known for a long time, and the Uni already know that his religion is against LGBT !
so why wait until now to silence the minister from the UNI , why even give him a chaplaincy in the first place ?
Are they going to ban all religion from UNI because GODS dont like LGBT ?

has this reached new levels of insane in the UK or is it just par for the course

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Would he have gotten in trouble if this was said in a mosque?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

What I find issue with here, is the fact that this Chaplain did what he did under the banner of Christ, which, in my view, is defamation against Christ himself. If the man was being honest, he would have had the decency to act not under the banner of Christ, but under the banner of his own prejudice.

Christ the Lord, when he walked this Earth, spent his time breaking bread with those the Church still, for reasons I cannot fathom, considers pariah, and yet the modern Church and its leaders, still cannot understand that militating against, doing down, and being prejudiced against people, is simply not a Christian thing to do, regardless of how the word of Christ has been interpreted over the millennia since his death.

The mans interpretation of his responsibilities as a minister of Christ Jesus, is simply WRONG, and to speak as he did as if backed by Christ himself, was entirely inappropriate. These clergy persons, these false prophets should have to take an oath containing the same words as that taken by doctors, those being "first, do no harm". I think that would remind them of their place, as flawed, mortal beings, and that they are in no position to judge others, since they must have plentiful sins of their own to fret over.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Perhaps you haven’t read the Bible. We’re lucky he didn’t stone them all to death. Amirite?

But I think we all know that he was probably just trying to pray his own Gay away.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

What I find issue with here, is the fact that this Chaplain did what he did under the banner of Christ, which, in my view, is defamation against Christ himself.

Welcome to organized religion friend. Last I checked they're all imperfect, seeing as they are operated by humans.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
But I think we all know that he was probably just trying to pray his own Gay away.

Keeping it classy. Nice.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

This comment wins the thread. Excellent, excellent point and I think we all know that the answer is "no."

This guy said these things in his own church. Whatever your stance on WHAT he said, it was said in his place of faith, NOT a public institution. I hope this level of interference in faith never comes to America.

True Brit, I agree with you that many people both now and in the past have done and said things while claiming to be under the banner of Christ, as you say, that maybe aren't things Christ would have sanctioned. The sinners that Christ mixed with, though, he did say to them "now go and sin no more." I don't think he gave everyone a free pass to live in debauchery.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I couldnt say , since it wasnt said In a mosque!

but arent you using a logical fallacy to state that if he said it in a mosque then X, Y , or Z would surely happen

in this case, if it was said in a mosque then nothing would happen as a result from society at large because its a mosque and not a church.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You dont have to agree with his interpretation of Christ's teachings. You basically have thought police on campus who get out their torches for wrong think.

Even if I do agree with them they yell and yell like children until they shut down the opposition. Their authoritatian tactics work though

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Organised religion is a defamation of Christ all together is it not ?

Like Bill Maher said, Im a non christian like most christians!

Seems like the only people that paid any attention to Christ were the Buddhists!

However Jesus Christ aside, the Christian GOD doesnt like LGBT by default !
we all know what he did to Sodom!
So Im not sure why the UNI or the LGBT have attacked him for simply following his religious beliefs
and has been discriminated against for it , I mean youd think that the LGBT crowd understood discrimination!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

They allow islams brutal stance on homosexuality becauae they see Islam as a minority race not a religion.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
His beliefs are clearly incompatible with university policy on inclusivity.

The university is entirely in the right here.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

At least this chaplain is obviously committed to the bullsh*t

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

This comment wins the thread. Excellent, excellent point and I think we all know that the answer is "no."

This guy said these things in his own church. Whatever your stance on WHAT he said, it was said in his place of faith, NOT a public institution. I hope this level of interference in faith never comes to America.

True Brit, I agree with you that many people both now and in the past have done and said things while claiming to be under the banner of Christ, as you say, that maybe aren't things Christ would have sanctioned. The sinners that Christ mixed with, though, he did say to them "now go and sin no more." I don't think he gave everyone a free pass to live in debauchery.

There is no interference with his faith. He is free to belief whatever he wants.

GCU however has no obligation to support that belief by having him as a Chaplin at the University.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Aye but that is the point, the UNI already knew that his religion is directly opposed to LGBT or homosexuality, regardless of him stating that god would find an offense in this !
His religion has expressed that belief since day one , so why fire him now ?
He is being discriminated against for holding that belief

the Uni should have took a stand and said they support equality and diversity and respect this mans religious beliefs
and just said its his beliefs and are protected just like LGBT right to marry or protest or whatever , as distasteful as it is to him that LGBT can marry or have sex or whatever
just as holding that opinion or belief is distasteful to the LGBT crowd .

we have two minorities fighting over who is right and who is wrong .

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Aye he is committed to his faith !

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Aye but that is the point, the UNI already knew that his religion is directly opposed to LGBT or homosexuality, regardless of him stating that god would find an offense in this !
His religion has expressed that belief since day one , so why fire him now ?
He is being discriminated against for holding that belief

the Uni should have took a stand and said they support equality and diversity and respect this mans religious beliefs
and just said its his beliefs and are protected just like LGBT right to marry or protest or whatever , as distasteful as it is to him that LGBT can marry or have sex or whatever
just as holding that opinion or belief is distasteful to the LGBT crowd .

we have two minorities fighting over who is right and who is wrong .

He is not being fired (GCU are not his employer) and he is only being discriminated against to the extend that his beliefs are incompatible with the role of chaplain at GCU.

Most priests somehow manage not to call pride Glasgow a gross offence. Religion, like society has evolved. Maybe not fast enough, but is has.

Not sure the relevance of them being minorities?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Not fired , a figure of speech really but his chaplaincy has come to an end at the Uni!

As for his beliefs they were incompatible to begin with were they not ?

It may be offensive but it is still his religious beliefs and he has been discriminated against for them !
whether that works in line with the universities "equality and diversity" or not its their mistake as they allowed a religion which is at odds with LGBT to have a chapel there to begin with!

the relevance of them being minorities is that the world today is all about defending minorities from oppression or discrimination!

well in this case the religion is a minority in the UNI , not in Scotland despite it being ever more secular .

What they have done is discriminated against on group for the support of another !

but its all so confusing because doesnt his religion already allow same sex marriage ?

edit on 23-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I am just at a loss how the chaplain can atone for some one else's choices by holding a service or is that just a silly by line to get attention, sell advertisements

One of the things I find funny is how many here in this thread are bitching how bad this guy is for bitching about gays
Most of you are no better, just have a different stance but acting exactly the same

You just don't see it, pretty funny

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Aye he is committed to his faith !

You call it faith, I'll call it something else

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join