It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 99
<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Lol twaddlery is a good word!
Did you see his post about a new British swear word he learned today haha, 'twunt', a hybrid of two swear words, I like it, hopefully it will catch on and mods will let it slide.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yes. Then Charles will ascend to the throne. People will mutter about Diana being mur.....I mean accidentally killed and how Camilla has a face like a horse.

What do you mean 'will' mutter? Same muttering, different decde.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Lol twaddlery is a good word!
Did you see his post about a new British swear word he learned today haha, 'twunt', a hybrid of two swear words, I like it, hopefully it will catch on and mods will let it slide.

Why is it these new combination insulting words lean more towards the female gender? Or do you guys call each other the C word too?

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Ah a nice few days off then. Paperwork at home lmao you'll be on ATS half the time!

...I've got used to collapsing now lol, don't even whine about it, my head seems to cope with it and with the magic drug it isn't every day now so my scars and grazes usually heal between episodes haha!
Swollen black eye though is not a good look walking into shady backstreet pubs for some food earlier...

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Gosh swearing is common among friends, it just depends on the tone of voice and context...having a laugh I can call all my friends and most strangers a word which will not offend them, imagine laughing and calling someone a jerk for whatever then in my world any swear words go.
We have loads in Britain which ATS censors miss out, Brit's use them often in Brit threads.
Swear words are a massive part of English communication in the UK, it's all about tone of voice and context.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Or do you guys call each other the C word too?

Yes we do. A lot. Us Brits are equal opportunity and gender inclusive when it comes to insulting each other.

Of course, the "tw" in "twunt" obviously is "twit". Honest.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Or do you guys call each other the C word too?

Yes we do. A lot. Us Brits are equal opportunity and gender inclusive when it comes to insulting each other.

Of course, the "tw" in "twunt" obviously is "twit". Honest.

So you all there no longer use 'little beggar'?

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Yes, we do. There is a similar word we use, too.

If you would like to research British swear words I heartily recommend that you Google "Roger's Profanisaurus". If you have a robust sense of humour, otherwise probably best not.

I would post a link but my work computer does not like it, for some reason.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Weird how the same C word is the absolute bad word for some people in the right context, yet I was called it today while laughing with someone who I didn't know, in conversation. I wasn't offended because in my world it is the tone of your words which may anger me, not the words, the real emotion which leads to fights.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Shakespeare was fond of it eg - 3rd one down, Ophelia and Hamlet:

You Don't Know Shakespeare

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Weird how the same C word is the absolute bad word for some people in the right context, yet I was called it today while laughing with someone who I didn't know, in conversation. I wasn't offended because in my world it is the tone of your words which may anger me, not the words, the real emotion which leads to fights.

Once my Scottish boyfriend called me a 'twit' because I said something he found odd, or didn't understand because our cultures were different. Even though he said it in a joking manner, my response was that I was not amused and let him know it. He never called me that again.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Shakespeare was fond of it eg - 3rd one down, Ophelia and Hamlet:

You Don't Know Shakespeare

He might have tried begging.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
That was an interesting read

I don't really know much Shakespeare, read The Merchant of Venice in school, enjoyed that.
I played 'the wall' in Midsomer nights at youth theatre as well, but only really understood my own part.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It's fairly mild:

Twit - Noun

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Lol, you'd dump me in a heartbeat without mods around to stop me using such words!
We have loads of swear words in the UK, they all have different nuances to each other, but tone of voice and emotional intent is more important than the words to the average Brit.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I didn't like it, so I made it stop. Reply to oldcarpy.
edit on 011CST10America/Chicago030101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Well now you are on an international forum and words do matter here.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Urrm, yep, which is why I don't interact with you how I normally do in real life with my chosen words.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

We'd better watch our language, ladies present.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Urrm, yep, which is why I don't interact with you how I normally do in real life with my chosen words.

But why would you when you don't really know how I would react? First impressions and all.

new topics

top topics

<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join