It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Hahahaha Pokenose!

Seriously though, as the Banter Cafe's (self installed) Pest Control Officer, this sounds like something i should be investigating......

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Pest Control? Interesting. Just heard they closed down Eurodisney. Apparently, they found this ****ing great big mouse.....

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Redcar's Vertical Pier;

I looked hard to try and find a picture that made it look 'nice', that's the best I could do.

The sight we are all more accustomed to seeing;

Driving through Seal Sands, Teesport, ICI Wilton, Redcar etc on a night when everything was in full production was an experience....once witnessed you'd understand why Teessiders are called Smoggies.

I worked on the river for a while in Port Clarence in the late 80's building oil modules.
Had some great times working with great people, have lots of stories I could tell.
Worked hard, played hard.

I witnessed the last ship launched from a major yard on the Tees, worked with lads who were on Piper Alpha - nearly all gone.....absolutely tragic and such a massive waste of skill, expertise and people.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Redcar tower would have been a better name, it looks pretty cool bet the view is good.
...lots of industry and jobs lost up that way over the years, tragic really as I wonder how they replace it.
We've never taken that kind of hit down here, tourism is the main industry so if it's a good season people are less skint for half the year than after a crap summer.
The tourist cash trickles down to everyone eventually, more work = more money everyone is spending locally.
Honestly mate, it's why everyone looks after tourists, it often more than doubles the population, in winter it's ghost towns, everyone knows each others face in town lol.

I can only imagine losing the tourist income, and imagine the hit Redcar took after the works closed down.
EDIT
Favourite from childhood, poignant tune to me, some may think cheesy but it sums up the skint 80's to me..

edit on 24-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

.....lots of industry and jobs lost up that way over the years,

Teesside, the Tyne and the Wear all more or less redundant.
All the pits shut down.
Consett steelworks, Redcar steelworks.
The list goes on and on and on......

Heavy engineering has taken a massive hit up here and whole towns and communities have been forced into the benefit system that has now become a lifestyle option.
Its been heart breaking to watch.

..... tragic really as I wonder how they replace it.

They haven't replaced it.

All you here from people outside the region is 'you've got Nissan', we need a hundred Nissans to get anywhere near the loss.

But like I said, whole communities and lifestyles destroyed....and we wonder why we have increasing social problems.

I could go on but.....I can't be arsed tonight.
I'm going for a pint soon, have a bit of craic and hopefully home before 1am.....I know its a school night but no school run with the grandson tomorrow so, I guess anything could happen!

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It would make an interesting thread asking other members what their main industries are and who has been hit bad over the years, how they diversify etc. I may type one up then you can share your stories, make me realise although we have much poverty here, unless you are sick/disabled then every summer there is work, and this year the season is still going.
Half term holiday for schools, blue skies, full sun, and loads of people from all over Britain spending their money still, looked like summer in town earlier again with all the folk around.

School night haha! I guess half term has it's benefits for you as well. Enjoy, and be goodish lol

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Great tune mate.

Here's a couple that spring to mind that go some way to summing it up.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Omfg the 'Nothing left to lose" line, that song was a mantra of my youth, I ran away and was homeless for 6 months at 16, tracks like this inspired me haha!!!
I know that well, second ferocious dog track never heard it but I Identify with it well

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Yeah, did the wandering the country looking for work dossing wherever I could get my head down for a while thing back in the 80's.
A bit of an understatement but it was pretty #ing crap.
Tried to strip us of all our pride and self-esteem but the #ers didn't win because I'm still here and still fighting!

Anyway, beat my curfew....in at 12.30am.....and it is a school night here because its not half-term till next week for us.

Funeral tomorrow then a pre-funeral drink with all the lads before the funeral proper on Monday.

Story of the Blues is a possible funeral song of mine.....hope its not for a few years yet though!

Plenty of life left in this old dog yet....as you'll find out next year on my tour of the South West!

A song that always made me smile for some reason back in the day;

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Story of the blues would be a good funeral song, not sure what I'd pick for myself if I knew I was going in advance, I'd probably go for some gay anthem songs, all my mates know I like dancing to them and disco. Gloria Gaynor 'I will survive' for sure. I'm not gay but I've danced in many gay clubs over the years, good atmospheres, just have to keep saying "Sorry, I'm straight but thanks" with a smile.

I always liked Boxerbeat, first time I've seen the video haha, it is funny, totally early 80's.
Just been watching some Fred Dibnah vids on youtube, I'm sure you've heard of him, the man had balls of steel! No way I would ever do the stuff he did, absolute legend...

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Funeral songs - I spent a while thinking about that and came to the conclusion it was all a bit self indulgent. Decided to settle on Nelly the Elephant.

Gloria Gaynor - her ghost appeared to me the other night. At first I was afraid, I was petrified.....

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Haha you nut!

I'm same, I want songs that will make people laugh as they cry, 'It's raining men' is another I'd probably go for, I sing all the words when it comes on local radio at work lol - my mates reckon I'm the gayest straight bloke they know, and I'm happy to own it.
...so you coming to the scooter rally then? Just drive down and do a day pass, you know you want to, get a few beers down your neck and we'll sneak you into the camping area because you'll be over the limit haha

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

May do. Sounds fun but can't plan that far ahead at the moment.

"Camping area" - is that where you will be doing your gay dancing, then?

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Haha good one! Yep, I'll be camping it up after a few beers and getting my tent up.

...I'm terrible for planning ahead as well, but that certainly smells like a statement of intent to me, you may get to see me gay dance yet!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Getting your tent up? Is that a gay euphemism or something?

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Haha I'll show you next summer

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Oooh- Er!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It turns out that the "leading businessman" with the gagging injunction is:

Sir Philip Green Named

Surely this is ideal fodder for some good natured banter? The pension robbing PoS?

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I just read that in the other thread, I'd assumed it was Alan Sugar, but turns out it was Sir Green, in the billiards room, with the lead pipe.
I was never very good at Cluedo though

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hated Cluedo - loved Monopoly and Risk. Risk stretches family/friendship ties - "Why are you attacking me?" etc. It gets personal.

top topics

<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join