It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 75
<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
I have family in Canada, Ft McMurray, I'll visit one day, but only in summer lol
My plan is also to get to the US border and enter illegally just one metre, I've entered China illegally on the porous Laos border, same Cambodia, but the corrupt guards charged me US$50 as my 'visa' haha

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I have family in Canada, Ft McMurray, I'll visit one day, but only in summer lol
My plan is also to get to the US border and enter illegally just one metre, I've entered China illegally on the porous Laos border, same Cambodia, but the corrupt guards charged me US$50 as my 'visa' haha

You might not get off so lucky with a US$50 fine at the US border. Yea, summertime is the only time to visit way up there, unless you want an igloo and dog sled vacation or stay in a ice hotel, then view the Northern Lights. Actually, that is an exaggeration, England's latitude is not too far off from Fort MacMurray's latitude.
edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago015101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I was in a boring job once waiting for the phone to ring and I followed the entire Canada/US border on max zoom google Earth lol, in most places it's just a line in the trees. I'll definitely try it when I visit one day, I like stupid stuff like that, get a picture on the US side then scurry back into the safety of Canada assuming/hoping US customs/immigration don't cross the border, maybe take a few pics of them just to wind them up.

Shocking how cold it gets at Ft Mc, how do people even manage to live?! I'd stay inside and get stoned by the wood burner now it's legal in your country.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

If you dress properly it makes all the difference, but we acclimate to the cold just as we do to the Summer heat, it just takes time. Also, we use anti-freeze to help us get around.

Yes, there is a point at the Canada/US border that has a plaque/monument that you might want to visit and make an attempt at crossing,but the crossing below looks about to be the easiest, it is in Alberta.

commons.wikimedia.org...:Fence_along_the_Montana%E2%80%93Alberta_border_-_19940726.jpg

www.jidanni.org...
edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago022101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT10America/Chicago023101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
We had snow for the first time in maybe 10 years here this March, the whole place ground to a halt, abandoned cars everywhere, the municipal authorities suspended the need for parking tickets until it thawed a few days later.
I'm a summer beach person, I've only left Britain to go to warmer places. I laughed at my son in the summer, he spent all that money to go to Tenerife and we had the same temperatures for most of it.
If I had the cash to do it I'd leave the UK from October to March...now I'm kicking myself for not doing more days working this year, I could easily have saved enough, but lazy, especially during summer...next year...

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Haha yes, I sooo want a picture like that, but as an illegal in the US, just to say I've been an illegal there, even if only symbolic

EDIT
That second link was an interesting read

I'm a bit like the author of it, I love crossing land borders, maybe because I was born on an island.
edit on 18-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Good god no, not a proper job....performance analysis sort of crap, maybe even back to some consultancy.

But it was only a fleeting thought, certainly no more door or security work.
Can't be arsed to run another pub besides there's not much money in it anymore - long hours for little reward unless a Free House and there's an obvious occupational hazard!

Got to start doing something to get the old grey matter working again, going a bit stale.

Probably just keep on doing a few hours here and there for my mate and earning a bit doing 'this and that'.

I did have a random thought and considered learning a new language, but....?

Might ponder over it - but not for too long - tonight with a 'few' pints.

Can't beat a bit of Oasis at times.

This is for a mate of mine who I'm going to meet in an hour or so....he openly admits to being a New Romantic back in the day???

Something more contemporary and someone who has been there and gets it.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Haha, phew you had me worried for a minute, gotta be easy...
Language is a good idea, I'm jealous of BoneSay speaks 3, I've been thinking maybe Spanish, all the hot countries to be fair.
My fave Oasis track, it was a 'B' side of Champagne Supernova I think...
...Love the Gerry Cinnamon track

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

A few years ago I saw Noel Gallagher doing an acoustic set when he was supporting Paul Weller at Newcastle Town Hall.
He was excellent and he asked for a few requests, along with quite a few others me and a couple of mates shouted for Masterplan....the place erupted when he sang it.

We were in the balcony and could see directly across the stage and watched Gallagher smoke Benson's, drink Red Stripe and dance like an idiot all through Weller's set.

Great gig....up there in my Top 10 probably.

Been listening to Gerry Cinnamon for a few months now, growing on me.....definitely knows the score.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

As for the languages I considered Spanish, obvious benefits.
Then thought Mandarin but I think it might be too hard.
Then thought about Arabic just to piss some people off.

But will probably concentrate on mastering English first.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Cool story, gigs were so much better when you could smoke and drink lol, mad seeing crowds all waving lighter flames on youtube, now it's mobile phones with their flashlight on. Some people don't even enjoy the gig through their eyes anymore, just live streaming for social media, crazy changes in society.
...I went out with a Newcastle lass for a year, absolutely in love with her accent, especially when she was passionate or angry with me.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Haha you nut!
Go with Spanish, all the hot places. I've learned loads of bits and bobs from my Eastern EU mates, I do a good Czech accent, deep and gangster sounding.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

There seems to be a consistent theme running through your posts....women getting stern and angry with you.

It can't be coincidence.

Last time I saw Green Day play was again in Newcastle at The Arena on the American Idiot tour.
They were excellent as usual....until they sang 'We are the Champions'.
Now that is a great song....but Green Day are/were supposed to Punk.
Punk doing Queen just doesn't mix.
But to top it off they asked the audience to get their lighters out and sing along......I sat down in absolute disgust.
I looked around and there were a few more 'middle-aged' types doing the same.

I'd gone to gig with my daughter - she has inherited my excellent and eclectic taste in music - pissed herself laughing, not for the last time that night.

After the concert we went into Newcastle Toon centre for a few more drinks.
We were having a good night....until I was turned away from a pub for being TOO OLD!
You can imagine my daughters reaction to that and her delight in telling ALL my friends about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Lol, I always go for passionate emotional women, can't help it, I love the fire!
Lol at Greenday doing Queen, and lol at too old, I got refused entry at a club once for being too smart, had been at a wedding in Bromsgrove, was gutted, the tunes were banging.
EDIT
...on the women thing the more dangerous the better, they have alpha females but their communication network is much better than men's. Behind every alpha male is a woman controlling the stupid bloke. I have a twin sister, me and her ran our school years, I knew all the girls who didn't like or liked whichever boys.

I've had a half pint glass held to my throat by a girl in the local crime scene, she was nuts but it strangely attracted me because of the power she had over dodgy blokes. Honestly, murdered by a crazy woman would be a good way to go, better than cancer or lamely knocked down by a bus.

...haha the more I think about it you're right, I attract or am attracted to crazy passionate women, I love the fire, I've had my nose bitten, been strangled as well, never fought back, smile and say 'Is that the best you got?' which makes them even more angry, but then the make up intimacy is fantastic.
OMG public admission or what haha!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Can i request a treacle sponge and custard please? Feels like the right night for stodge.....

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Haha you nut!
Go with Spanish, all the hot places.

Move away from the trowel and towards the tile then!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Haha you nut!
Go with Spanish, all the hot places.

Move away from the trowel and towards the tile then!
Haha yes! I tile as well, I like it for different reasons, it's precise and relies on straight cuts, but I like freestyling with my mini grinder, feels more like a skill with the steady hand then.

...I haven't had treacle sponge for ages, gutted, I've been up and down my hill twice today, not doing the steps again for munch, although I am tempted, got munchies.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'd been married a couple of years when one of her mates told me of a couple of incidents when we were courting. Same thing on separate occasions. Another woman eerr"wanted me" and the missus had to put them straight about who was having who. With a small touch of violence. The bad part is I never knew about these women and still don't know who they were.
Had the privilege of seeing Rory Gallagher a couple of times at Chesford Grange in Cov. Small gigs, was standing not 4 foot away from him. When he was doing his usual if the bass player got in his way I've seen him batter him in the ribs with his guitar nearly knocking him off the stage. Happy days. Celtic could you find "shadow play" for me please.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Your wife won her man haha brilliant story

That's some dirty guitar mate, love it!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thanks friend. If you notice his guitar, a modified stratocaster, other guitarists try to imitate the wore down finish thinking this was done deliberate. But I saw an interview with his brother, who was his manager, and he explained it was not wear that created that look but Rory had some kind of condition that when he sweat it was slightly acidic. I've looked but I can't find what he was on about.

top topics

<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join