It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

To be honest, that sounds like absolute hell to me.
I couldn't imagine life without pubs.

For me, pubs are the very heart and soul of the country.

If you want to understand the British people take a tour of some traditional British pubs and listen to the banter and conversations.
Forget the wine bars, gin bars and trendy pubs with their faux middle class clientele, go to the traditional local bars and meet real people.

Sadly these are the pubs most under threat. There seems to be some sort of concerted effort to shut these types of pubs down.
Why?
A discussion for another time and place methinks...we like to keep the craic more upbeat and positive here!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Indeed. it's a slippery slope. Coffee should come in cups or mugs and none of the Flat White abomination type things with "microfoam" - whatever in Gods name that might be.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Mushy peas are off the menu mate, it's organic petit pois now served in their half opened pods and drizzled with yak butter.
Trying to attract the big money spenders from the hipster crowd just for oldcarpy lol

Interesting tune choice...

@TonyS Hardly ever see cops in my area, and the ones you do are way too busy to be pulling cars over unless you are driving badly.
The penalty isn't harsh if you get caught either, my son stupidly rolled his car drunk, hitting a power line taking out electricity for a village. He refused to give a sample because he knew he was way over the limit, got a £200 fine and banned driving for 7 months.
Good to have a Texan in the cafe

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Magilla Gorilla was a kiddy cartoon from years ago.

And I've long referred to the "White House" as the "White Hut".

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Oh plates will be going soon, I'm going for bevelled Welsh slates instead, saw it in some posh place in London town

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Pmsl!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

"Sadly these are the pubs most under threat. There seems to be some sort of concerted effort to shut these types of pubs down.
Why? "

Years ago and I mean as recently as the first half of the 1990's we had a thriving neighborhood bar business here in the US. Practically every neighborhood had a nearby watering hole complete with darts, a dance floor and pool tables. I'd guess they were comparable to your "Pubs" and I'd met a lot of traveling Brits in these neighborhood bars.

Sadly, just as your Pubs have come under fire, so have all but a few of our neighborhood bars been shut down. And yes, I think it was intentional and I"ve got a pretty good idea who killed them. But at this point..........it really doesn't matter anymore........they won't be coming back.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just if you're interested I made a thread recently about back street dive pubs in the UK. The replies explain the scene here, it's still pretty strong, I always search out the 'locals' pub when I'm out of town, meet real interesting people...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Interesting, thanks!
We have our dive bars here as well although the numbers are dwindling; they've always been my favorite. Don't like the "clubs" or even the sports bars.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So what fine Texan food would you like to see on the banter cafe menu?
I'm guessing something involving beef?
Stick a local Tex tune on the jukebox if you fancy as well.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

O.K., well, thanks for the invite!
Real Texas Music, by a real Texas Musician, Townes Van Zandt, who by the way, actually wrote the song, not Willie Nelson.

This is.........vintage Townes Van Zandt........if you can fade it!

If you youtube search Townes Van Zandt, you'll pretty well see very soon.........he drank himself to death.
Food? Beef Fajitas!

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Texas Tunes, Texas artist. From Houston.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I love the second song, such a story

Although I'm into electronic dance music in the main I like all sorts, loving the Texan vibe though.
Beef fajitas haha! My son's girlfriend works at a TexMex restaurant and they live next door to me so I get free food quite often when she finishes her shift lol

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Too late to edit, only just caught up with stuff, that ZZ performance was brilliant!
Big bad bearded boys, from Texas

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
here's some Mexican indie folk
Band is The Mexicats, singer is Jenny Ball from London he he

Climate still very hot here and the AC broke down so now I can't sleep. Can't wait for winter to come

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Mushy peas are off the menu mate, it's organic petit pois now served in their half opened pods and drizzled with yak butter.

At this point I am afraid that I shall be calling the Police.

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay
Nice track, I shut my eyes and imagined I was at a beach cafe in warm sun.
And I'm now in love with Jenny!

@oldcarpy
Embrace the changes mate, new vegan range coming soon on the menu as well, you'll love it! Haha

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   

GAAAAAAAAH! NURSE! - the screens!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Please can we ensure that the hipsters, vegans etc be assigned a clearly defined area of the café away from the more traditional minded of us who prefer the old greasy spoon affair.

On that note I'll go for the full English please, no black pudding but extra bacon. Toast and fried bread. Eggs poached please.
Big mug of piping hot Yorkshire Tea.

Need a pick-me-up.

Fell at the first hurdle last night - got home just before 3am!

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Haha!
Okay maybe the vegan option was a lie, I like my carvery too much.
Racist xenophobic leave voters are banned though now, you know, those folk who want to leave the all white trade block known as the EU lol
I see you still slugging it out in the Brexit thread, I got bored with it Zzz Zzz

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join