It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Some people will chop up the Carolina. The best way imo is cut some slices in the pod and let it stew in your chilli sauce until it's hot enough. That way the seeds and pith get to release the heat without drifting out into the sauce.

My favourite is probably the red bird's eye and finger chillies that the Thais use in their curries. We've all got the ones we like best. Ghost pepper tastes great to me and others find it too bitter. If I can't get them locally I hit Amazon where they have everything - Carolinas are about £3.50 for 5-6 pods and no postage.

You definitely get to like more and more heat.

Defo addictive.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Interesting article about chilis here - apparently the human body's reaction to chili heat is to release endorphins - natural painkiller - which give a "high":

Independent Article

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Oh yeah, a good chilli festival can leave you kinda dazed and wanting more.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I'm partial to the odd chilli and love a curry.
I like hot....but not mega hot, had a couple of chicken Nagaland's at a local Indian....very nice, but about my limit.

I once went to a Nepalese restaurant in Amsterdam.
A mate got a traditional Nepalese soup as a starter.
I ordered a traditional Nepalese main course. It's usually made with Yak meat but as they are a bit of a rarity in the Netherlands they had to use some locally sourced beef instead.
I tasted my mates soup and it was very nice but had a fierce after taste.
But it had nothing on my main course....I have never tasted anything as hot in all my life....and then the after taste kicked in. Mad hot does not even begin to describe it.
It took copious amounts of Amstel to wash the taste away!

Never made such a schoolboy error again.

Had some American style pancakes for breakfast today....very nice, but couldn't eat them too often or CCG would start slagging me off in his rant against fat people thread!

So, tuna salad for lunch today methinks.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Oh boy, some of these restaurants do it for kicks I reckon. Say the last crowd were rude or something? Next crowd get the OTT burning sauces. A few of us went out last night for curry and the food was great (Jalfrezi over here), but the more (ahem) persistent effects are still rumbling.' As it should be...

Yak meat? I'll keep an eye out for that. Anything new sounds cool and tell CCG to stick to his acorns....or enjoy the tuna salad.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Never been to a chili festival so must try one.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

When they call them 'festivals' picture a carboot sale an hour before closing. They're good fun, but 'festival' is a long stretch.

Have mates, have milk, have beers and do the SAS thing of always being aware of the toilets. Some of those sauces are quicker than Usain Bolt.

Google chillifest or chilli festivals and there'll be one somewhere.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I can't stand SUV's and hate the telly adverts for them - I had a bit of a rant about them in an earlier post.

Have you seen that one for a VW SUV - a T-Roc (*vomits*) with the little black ram? The SUV (driven by beardy smug hipster - of course) has a face off with a lamb and the lamb backs down.

WTF? He drives off looking even more smug 'cos his car is so hard as nails that it scares a small lamb! Good grief.

CCG? Mug of tea - milk, 1 sugar - and a bacon sarnie, please. Just brown sauce this time. Don't want to be scaring the straight people.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

There's one in Brighton in September which we can't do and have just missed the Great Dorset Chili Festival so maybe next year.

Sounds like putting the bog roll in a cool box may be a prudent thing to do.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Tuna salad? You will be needing some of this on it:

Tabasco Sauce

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

A little bit of ground chilli and garlic salt just to liven it up a bit.

Keep it light, going to the pub a bit later.

Was supposed to be going to a funeral but to be honest I just couldn't face yet another one....

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Lovely. I prefer canned tuna to fresh.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Never been to a chili festival so must try one.

ooOOOerrr...

Bog roll in the freezer time and plenty of public portaloos...

Now... Can someone knock me up a knickerbocker glory please as I am melting into my office chair over here in France?

Time for a crap Summer song :

Lags
edit on 1-8-2018 by Lagomorphe because: CRap song added

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Night Star

I suppose that you lot in our former colony have no proper medieval castles what with having so little history and all, so here are some for you to enjoy:

Top 10 UK Castles

The one in New England as I posted above in the vids, house medieval art and architectural features. It's the closest I'll ever come to seeing a castle.

It's sad to see ruins of castles, once magnificent pieces of beauty and history. These things must cost an absolute fortune to maintain

If I had the money, I would have a mini castle built to live in. Hell, it could be the size of my apartment and I wouldn't care. LOL

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

a reply to: Night Star

I am guessing that you are not a fan of hot curries, then? My favourite is a good Naga chili sauce.

I don't mind spicy, but nothing too hot for me!

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Hey little bunny! You eat snails and frogs legs.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well, I've had a crazy few days which I won't go into but kept me away from the cafe, and have been an amazing experience which I may write a thread about in a few weeks! 😊

Good to see the place has been busy, spicy food talk has been an interesting read but I'll be honest I'm not a burning spice man myself. My mate cooks spicy all the time and when I pop round always gives me a bowl saying "it's not a spicy one" yeh right, he must have an asbestos mouth compared to my softy gentle flesh 😂

edit on 1-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Good to see the place has been busy, spicy food talk has been an interesting read but I'll be honest I'm not a burning spice man myself. My mate cooks spicy all the time and when I pop round always gives me a bowl saying "it's not a spicy one" yeh right, he must have an asbestos mouth compared to my softy gentle flesh 😂

Funnily enough I had a curry overdose the last time I was back in the UK in Bradford.

I was in a Korma for 2 days...

"Tiptoes "whilst trying to squeeze buttocks together and adopting a not (I hope) so obvious strange way of walking with legs half crossed"" out of thread to hunt for the last roll of bogroll that my evil other half hid in one of our freezers"

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Hey little bunny! You eat snails and frogs legs.

Yoohoo you...

And I gut them alive...

Buwhahahahahaha...

This is what I use to "erm" calm down and gut the little terrestrial pulmonate gastropod molluscs and amphibians :

Say hello to my girlfriend "Lucille"

Kindest respects as always and hugs to you.

Lags

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I don't mind spicy, but nothing too hot for me!

What, you mean your bum can't take it or you get massive acid reflux? "winks"

Mallox or Rennies work a treat my dear.

Otherwise try this :

You might be able to find some behind the café bar if you ask that Cornish Celtic bloke kindly!?

Kindest respects

Lags

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join