It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

...and castles, yes, some fantastic ones to see here. One of my favourites is Chepstow castle, it's got no roof these days but to be fair it is nearly 1000 years old.

I LOVE castles!!!

I read the first page, jumped to the last page and started reading the pages backward. Figured it would take forever to catch up, so I'm just popping in.

Found the castle that you mentioned. Wow! I have always loved the architectural designs of these beauties.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
So do I.
Chepstow is one of the best 'ruined' ones, but the castles which never got defeated, oh wow, inside's are just oppulence. Total symbols of the Normans kicking our asses back in the day though, I bet life was grim if you didn't live within the castle walls.
My favourite ruined castle is Tintagel in Cornwall high up on a rugged tip of a sea cliff. There has been a settlement there since around 5CE/AD but the current structure is only a babe in arms, built in the 1220's, it is a place of magic and mystery for sure, especially when the Atlantic waves and winds are lashing at it.

edit on 31-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Life outside the castle walls was indeed grim:

Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Bacon sarnie please. Just so as to not offend your delicate sensibilities or those of your Albanian Chef I will have it plain without the marmalade on the side this time.

Just some horseradish sauce please.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Why on Earth would you destroy the flavour and excellence of a humble bacon sandwich with horseradish? I don't think I have ever read of a more disgusting combination. To each their own?

Brown bread, or brown toast and bacon. Lots of bacon. Perhaps a little cheese. (Some people like the bread buttered but the bacon fat is usually enough.) Perhaps a little tomato sauce, nothing more. I am English. Tomato ketchup is golden. IMHO. Romans/Italians.

edit on 31/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I am English. Tomato ketchup is golden.

I am English. Tomato ketchup is awful.

Brown Sauce - it must be either Daddies or HP - is the only sauce allowed on a Bacon sarnie.
I get that some prefer Tomato Ketchup on Sausage sarnies but it really is sacrilege on a Bacon Butty.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Good god man! Brown sauce is sacrilege, just "No!" I tried it once, that was enough!

ETA In my defence, I can drink malt vinegar straight from the bottle. You can't find it in Holland though unless you want to pay 5 times the English price. It's the only product I miss here in NL. I refuse to pay 5 times the price.

edit on 31/7/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just stumbled into your lovely café, but can I cook my own meal? After reading you put beans on everything.... just ew.
I'm damn good with a steel grill plate, over an open fire. Everything from pancakes to bacon. Hmmm. I need a job anyway. LOL

Anyway, lovely place you have here.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

You are beautiiful Night Star.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Thank you so much for your kind words, that means a lot to me! I think you are a beautiful person as well.

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Just some horseradish sauce please.

I tried that once and thought I was gonna die! Eeeeeew! LOL

posted on Jul, 31 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yum, pancakes and bacon! Wish I could afford to hire you. Guess I'll have to make my own.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

This is the only castle I have ever been to and loved it!

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Brown sauce, not tomato ketchup. And marmalade, obviously.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I am guessing that you are not a fan of hot curries, then? My favourite is a good Naga chili sauce.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

A little cheese? In a bacon sarnie? You need to have a word with yourself. I am afraid that it seems that you have spent too long in the Netherlands or Holland or whatever it is called.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I suppose that you lot in our former colony have no proper medieval castles what with having so little history and all, so here are some for you to enjoy:

Top 10 UK Castles

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

I am guessing that you are not a fan of hot curries, then? My favourite is a good Naga chili sauce.

Check this sample out

Carolina reapers and Scotch bonnets loose at the front. Some naga sauces for you. Delicious.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks for that. Lovely. I draw the line at Carolina Reapers and stuff like that. Went to a curry house in Bath. The Phall had a 4 chili rating on the menu and some others on there went to 7. That sounds like a Hospital job to me.

Here is some chili humour:

English Judge at Texas Chili Cook Off

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I haven't had phall for many years and plan to keep it that way. What a burn. If that's a 4, then I'm a 3.

The carolinas are all down to taste and very, very careful moderation lol. Cook using one and keep it in sight by skewering it or tying it up. When you've done that, take it out after a few moments/minutes and taste the food. Needs more? Put it back in.

A bit of heat and light sweat is fine as long as the flavour is good. I don't get it when people spoil their food by making it an SAS challenge to go alpha male. Saying that, it IS fun when a curry house loads the dice and you have to buckle in till the burn subsides. Sitting there with sweat running, red-faced and acting like it's 'meh.' Hehehe.

posted on Aug, 1 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes. I have mates that order a phall and ask them to make it extra hot. You can imagine what the cooks are doing to their curries. Madness.

So you don't actually eat these carolinas - just for flavouring? Explains where I went wrong by chopping up a scotch bonnet and putting it in. I thought it was a bit....intense.

I make up batches of chili and freeze it. Freezing seems to increase the heat. Had some last night. The Mrs liked it, I thought it was a bit hot myself, she doesn't usually like it too hot. You definitely get to like more and more heat.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join