It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 124
<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Hahaha yes!

I like the French for that invention of lush food. I'm saving one for my work lunch box tomorrow, that will be a mid morning chocolate snack.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: InTheLight
Hahaha yes!

I like the French for that invention of lush food. I'm saving one for my work lunch box tomorrow, that will be a mid morning chocolate snack.

I may try to bake a Devil's Food Cake next, after my sis, her and my hubby finish putting in my new kitchen cupboards. yay

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay
This just came on the radio and for whatever reason you popped into my thoughts. Be strong and you will get through anything...you have many years to live before you get to my age so even in the circumstances you are in it will change, just front it and adapt...an ex gf of mine once said to me "life is a long time" and I always remembered it. Me and her hook up for a pint or coffee often...she's the one I split with because I didn't want two kids with two mothers, we never fell out of love. [email protected] as you know, if you need a safe place to talk.
Love to you across the Atlantic in your current situation, now time for the tune, it wasn't the lyrics that made me think of you, it was the tone/music...stay strong.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Up with the larks today....been on the go for a couple of hours already.

Just been lurking for a few days, keeping an eye on things and watching CCG wind people up....had a couple of chuckles to myself.

Haven't been to the pub for five days now.....supposed to feel better for it, things seem the same to me.
Only difference is I've never been off my phone sorting 'stuff' out and re-assuring people that there's nothing wrong with me!

Watched a bit of #e TV and caught up on a bit of reading.

Got to go drop the Grandson off at school.....then the days mine.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   

edit on 9-1-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Phil Collins, eh?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Lol, I remember that!

The track Sheye posted is my favourite by Phil Collins

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Can't stand him, myself.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
5 days no pub?!
I'm at my local pub every day now for food as every meal is only £2.50, I've given up cooking at home. I have a coffee or cup of tea with it, that's an extra £1.
I'm popping down in a short while, gammon (real slice, not reformed) fried egg, chips/fries, and peas, only £2.50. I'm too late for the full English breakfast, just turned 12pm...might go for the roast chicken though, cup of tea and read the free newspapers while having banter with the regulars.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Can't stand him, myself.
Lol, I don't know much about the guy but I love some of his music, that track especially.
When I was a homeless runaway 16 year old one of the few tapes I had on my sony walkman was best of phil collins haha.
I was living in the changing rooms of a derelict leisure centre and listening to that drowned out the sound of rats scuttling around.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Sorry to hear that but to be honest I'd rather listen to the scuttling rats.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

No pub for several reasons.....think that is going to be remedied tonight!

Some good pub grub in the town centre but the only pub that does food near me is one of those new, recently renamed pubs like The Cock and Jockstrap or something and the stuff they serve up is bland, tasteless and frigging expensive!

If go into town I'll stay there till throwing out time....hmm, not a bad idea come to think about it!

I'm with carpy on Phil Collins.....the music equivalent of the bland food I mentioned earlier!

....and listening to that drowned out the sound of rats scuttling around.

I remember me and two mates dossing overnight in a barn on the outskirts of Wisbech in Norfolk in about '86 or '87 when we were down there looking for work.
I could feel the rats running around in the hay bales underneath us - the one thing in life I am scared of is rats, I have a genuine phobia about them.
I was a gibbering wreck.

I must have made some noise because an old man who was out walking his dog took pity on us and invited us into his house for a bowl of soup and eventually let us sleep on his floor.
A very kind man - I wish I'd been able to repay his kindness in some way.

edit on 9/1/19 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Lol about Phil Collins and the bland food. I was scared of the rats as well, luckily the old wooden benches in the derelict place kept me off the floor, but they were scuttling around me. Cool story of the kind man, I had a similar kind man, a head chef around the age I am now.
I applied for kitchen porter jobs and such like for months while homeless but with no address I never got the job. Jobcentre told me there was an immediate interview at a local hotel so I went straight there. I never looked homeless, launderette and 50 pence showers at the local bus station, so I got on well with the chef interviewing me, he gave me a form to fill out, but when it got to my address I looked at him with an embarrassed face and admitted I was sleeping rough.
He looked at me with a kindly face and said he didn't care about that, just how good I am at working, can you start at 5pm today?

I jumped at the chance, nearly cried with happiness, I worked like a dog that night, preparing vegetables and washing pots/pans. Had a fantastic cooked meal at the end of my shift and when I finished the chef came up to me with £200 and said get yourself a rented room tomorrow and be back for 5pm, you can pay it back £20 a week. I actually cried. I'll never forget that man (Wolfgang, he was German), he gave me the break I needed and I worked the whole summer there. Back on my feet and the rest is history.

If I'm ever in such a position I'll help a young person out like that as well, I'm nearly tearing up now thinking of it lol

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Sorry to hear that but to be honest I'd rather listen to the scuttling rats.

Haha you nut!

Some of the rats were huge, I hated it...shut my eyes and listen to Phil Collins was the best option lol

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I am used to rats from night fishing. One time there was an enormous kerfuffle going on outside my bivvy, shone a torch and it lit up pairs of eyes about 8" apart. Me and my mate looked at each other and legged it back to the car for the night.

Turned out they were escaped Coypu's, not giant mutant rats.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Cool story.

Its good to hear stories about people being nice to each other.....the world is full of evil and crap, its just nice to be able to smile and appreciate the goodness in people every once in a while.

I'll always try to help people worse off than I am....in another world it could quite easily have been me......and its just nice to be nice for no other reason other than being able to help some one.

Enough of that sentimentality.....people will begin thinking that all this sobriety is making me go soft!

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Haha cool story man!
I had to google Coypu's, never heard of them before...hiding in the car lol!

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I never thought of you as being warm and fluffy. You need the pub. Go on, you know you want to. Then you can get back to having a good grump.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I'd have literally shat my pants and would still be running away now!

There is no real reason behind my fear of rats....never had any frightening experience of them, they just scare the crap out of me!

Quite bizarrelyRattus Norvegicus by The Stranglers has been a long time favourite album of mine and I absolutely love Down in the Sewer....parts of it make my skin crawl no matter how often I listen to it!

An excuse to play it.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Enough of that sentimentality.....people will begin thinking that all this sobriety is making me go soft!

Lmao!

Yes, lets start talking about rugby or something. My town beat the league leaders on the weekend, they've only lost two games, both against us, we are second, looking at promotion this season. My son who is tighthead prop played the full 80 minutes and got their prop sent off after some dark arts in the scrum which inspired their prop to punch my son when the scrum separated - lol, the ref only saw the punch, didn't see what was happening in the scrum so sent their guy off.

...he told me they made friends after the game in the bar, what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.

top topics

<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join