It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 123
<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It is weird but I think I've lost weight because I started baking again and instead of eating large meals, I munch on things like chocolate chip cookies, cheese biscuits and bran muffins, which seem to hold me for longer periods of time before I need to munch again and of course I am more active in the kitchen what with prep work and cleaning up afterwards. It's all good except for my clothes falling off in public.
edit on 01CST08America/Chicago04280831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight It's all good except for my clothes falling off in public.

Hahaha!

...I haven't baked anything in a long time. I used to a lot back in the early 90's because there wasn't much pre-prepared stuff around in stores. Now I'm lazy and just buy stuff I can warm up in the oven.
I always have flour in the cupboard though, if I run out of bread and am feeling too lazy to walk down the hill I'll make a basic flatbread if I'm having soup/stew or whatever.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I know but don't you wonder what's in your store bought baked goods that may be detrimental to your health? At least I know there is honey instead of white sugar in my bran muffins.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Totally agree

I know any processed food I buy from the supermarket is untrustworthy. I do buy things from small boutique stores as well though, kind of places I know the baker as a fellow human.
On a related note, I was eating a microwave meal a few years ago, I think it was a cottage pie, but anyway I bit some large crunchy lump and spat it out, it was someone's fingertip! I nearly vomited but held it down lol
The factory must have known an employee had lost a fingertip yet the products were still sent out...fresh ingredients is definitely the way forward, but since my son moved out it's not the same cooking for one so I'm lazy.

...I love cooking for other people though, and if I time it right at my best mates house I get fantastic home cooked food.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

You could use mashed ripe bananas instead of honey for your bran muffins if you want to. Or both.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I had a conference with a barrister once. He had what looked like an old style chrome car door handle as a paperweight on his desk.

I asked him whys and he said "Medical negligence - hip joint".

Then I noticed his pens were in a Sainsbury's ratatouile can so I asked him why and he looked up and just said "Slugs".

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Hahaha! cool story mate!

...I use empty food tins as pots for my acorns and baby oak trees, drill a hole in the bottom good to go.
I grow about 30 or so every year then plant them on public land which doesn't get mowed/strimmed, got one about 7 or 8 years old on a clifftop not far from my home.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

What a good idea. You could try conker trees.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
My street is full of horse chestnut trees, same everywhere around here. I often wonder why all those years ago they didn't plant sweet chestnuts, it would be free food for the people every year. Was the game of conkers really that popular 100+ years ago?

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

You could use mashed ripe bananas instead of honey for your bran muffins if you want to. Or both.

Sure could, along with apple, almonds and vanilla for taste.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You've got me hungry now!

I'm walking into town now to get some munch before the bakery closes.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Ask them what they put into whatever you will be buying.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I now have the munchies too. 1st time in a while as have had horrendous tummy bug. Will knock some up at the weekend - with apple sauce cinnamon and walnuts.

Whilst on about recipes, you can make a great leafy salad with rocket and baby leaf salad using an orange dressing and with blue cheese and walnuts. Great with fish.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I now have the munchies too. 1st time in a while as have had horrendous tummy bug. Will knock some up at the weekend - with apple sauce cinnamon and walnuts.

Whilst on about recipes, you can make a great leafy salad with rocket and baby leaf salad using an orange dressing and with blue cheese and walnuts. Great with fish.

That sounds like a salad and dressing I could really sink my teeth into.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Can you post a recipe for your muffins? The only baking I do apart from bread is Yorkshire puddings - not very healthy as use lard or beef dripping, I'm afraid.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Can you post a recipe for your muffins? The only baking I do apart from bread is Yorkshire puddings - not very healthy as use lard or beef dripping, I'm afraid.

Sure, here it is, but I also added slivered almonds and the bran cereal is an organic one from the health food section of my food store and it is called 'smart bran'. This muffin is particularly tasty with a little cream cheese on it.

www.allrecipes.com...
edit on 01CST10America/Chicago056101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Thank you. Apparently Mrs Carpy is not keen on muffins but will have a go.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Thank you. Apparently Mrs Carpy is not keen on muffins but will have a go.

I don't particularly like bran muffins either but these are really tasty with cream cheese and I could eat them all day long.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Only just seen your post now I've got back...I bought 4 fat Pain au chocolat, still warm, sat down munching them right now.

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Only just seen your post now I've got back...I bought 4 fat Pain au chocolat, still warm, sat down munching them right now.

If it has chocolat in it, who cares, right? lol

top topics

<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join