It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 100
<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: InTheLight

We'd better watch our language, ladies present.

It's not that I am a lady, it may be more a difference in social culture.
edit on 011CST10America/Chicago041101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Is swearing frowned on where you are?

Pretty much compulsory here. At an old firm of mine the senior partner wrote a letter:

"Dear Sir

Eff off.

PS - Rude letter to follow".

He didn't say "eff", though.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm the same friendly person, just online, people from other cultures of course I have to interact in a business style, especially when it is in the medium of text only.
We could probably have a right laugh in person together but you'd know my tone of voice and emotional intent. Typed communication has nothing on face to face.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yes - and this is the "Banter Cafe" - and with us Brits, swearing can be done sort of quite affectionately - as in "how you doing - you old bast@rd?" - etc.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Is swearing frowned on where you are?

Pretty much compulsory here. At an old firm of mine the senior partner wrote a letter:

"Dear Sir

Eff off.

PS - Rude letter to follow"
He didn't say "eff", though.

When I hear someone swearing while speaking, I find it ugly and if it is my family or friends I ask them to not swear. But the other day at the mall, two women were standing together in front of a shoe store and I went over to the store window to look at shoes and both of the women were using the F word every other word. It sounded ugly and I walked away. I suppose because when I speak while in conversation I do not swear at all, but once in a while when I am frustrated or angry (rarely) I will give out a choice word.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Lmao!
I know professional people and millionaire friends who swear the same as the old drunk ranting in the pub.
Swearing cuts through social classes/economic demographics, it is a massive part of British communication, just tone of voice and emotional intent are key to swearing correctly lol

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yes massively!
I love 'Brit' threads, the banter is #ing brilliant (see what I did there), even when we bicker, we have some great words to dish out to each other lol

EDIT
Just a heads up, I got told not to use the term 'cock' on ATS recently unless I was speaking about a rooster. I have complied...we still have loads of words to use.
edit on 22-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Its funny hearing posh people swear:

High Court Judge: "I'm terribly sorry but I appear to have left my lengthy written judgement at my Country residence."

Counsel: "Fax it up, my Lord?"

High Court Judge: "Yes, I'm afraid it does, rather"

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Yes massively!
I love 'Brit' threads, the banter is #ing brilliant (see what I did there), even when we bicker, we have some great words to dish out to each other lol

Using the F word to punch up your verse if different from calling someone a 'twunt' or 'twit' or whatever because you never know how someone online will take it.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Absolutely right, you #ing cockwomble.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

You are right - you cannot hear the typed word - same way you can't tell sometimes if someone is being sarcastic or serious on here.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

You are right - you cannot hear the typed word - same way you can't tell sometimes if someone is being sarcastic or serious on here.

That is right and some people forget to put the /sarc indicator, so one is left with perhaps a false impression of that person or is feeling insulted.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yes, it is why I speak business style with you and 'mate at the pub' style with oldcarpy (see his post below yours, I genuinely laughed out loud), and because I don't really know you like other members I have to be business style.
I'm sure we'd have a chuckle over a pint though, it ain't real online, well it is in many ways, but it ain't the same as face to face.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Ah a nice few days off then. Paperwork at home lmao you'll be on ATS half the time!

...I've got used to collapsing now lol, don't even whine about it, my head seems to cope with it and with the magic drug it isn't every day now so my scars and grazes usually heal between episodes haha!
Swollen black eye though is not a good look walking into shady backstreet pubs for some food earlier...

You're probably right!
LOL

I saw your post about the food, cheap as all get out and sounded good. I would've thought you were familiar with all of the shady dive pubs on your hill!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

If you call me a twit/twat I just call you a jerk!

Well, cause sometimes you are...

And me too in all fairness.

LOL

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Haha I know all the shady pubs just don't go into all of them...well that's a lie, I do now, and have been accepted by regular locals who I know...so now town is my place haha!
£2.50 meals and good food as well, subsidised by the landlord's other pub in a posh area where minimum meal is £25.00 lol
EDIT
The landlord only works the poor area pub, never the posh one...you can take the guy out of the estate but....

edit on 22-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

If you call me a twit/twat I just call you a jerk!

Well, cause sometimes you are...

And me too in all fairness.

LOL
Lol yes, I always think it cute when you call me a jerk

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
When I was young, many moons ago, me and my mates invented a swearword "Bossfoddock". Using the word quite liberally in the pubs someone would ultimately ask what a Bossfoddock was. Much to our delight we educated them on the meaning, quite loudly, to their utter bemusement and our entertainment.
We tried to get it entered into the Oxford English Dictionary but they didn't reply to us.
Noun:- Bossfoddock:- a donkeys foreskin stuffed with fireworks.
Well when your 18 you laugh at anything. And that's my excuse.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Haha that works!
Bosfoddock scum bastards!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Hey Skiddy, sorry I’m late. I ordered you a drink; it’ll be waiting for you. Hope you found something good to watch on Netflix.

top topics

<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join