It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just caught a pretty big snake! (IN THE HOUSE!)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm disappointed there's no picture 😥

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I actually did take a couple pictures after I caught him, but as I've said here on several occasions I refuse to post pictures until they (ATS) make it easier to do so. Right now it is almost intentionally difficult.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I actually did take a couple pictures after I caught him, but as I've said here on several occasions I refuse to post pictures until they (ATS) make it easier to do so. Right now it is almost intentionally difficult.

I support you there.

So what of the mousetrap? Did it just bounce right off of him, or what?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I would have bravely screamed like a little girl and probably poo'd myself.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

You know, I didn't see actually what happened with the mousetrap. I heard it snap but it was kind of hidden from view. When I went over there all I saw was the snake and the tripped trap (and he was already a couple feet away doin' his thing).

Maybe he just bumped it, or got out of it somehow. He was big enough I doubt it hurt him much at all.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I get it brother---some snakes eat mice. Which, I guess for some folks, if awesome.

But me? I would rather have ten bazillion mice than even a toothless snake in my house. I'm pretty phobic about the slithering, belly crawling things.

Anyhow, other than mentioning a snake( lol), good post.

I like all your stuff, keep 'em coming.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Just grabbed an example image of a Bullsnake:

Bullsnake

I'm not a fan of snakes. But, I put on a pair of heavy gloves last year and grabbed a 5 foot long Black Rat Snake off my neighbor's carport after he tried to kill it, unsuccessfully, with his BB gun.

I grabbed it by its tail and held it far enough away from me so that it couldn't bite me. I took it over to the wild raspberry briers and let it go.

I'd rather have non venomous rat snakes than copperheads roaming around the property.

If I had seen your 6 foot Bullsnake, I would probably have crapped my pants. And it's likely that Mr. Bullsnake would not have survived the encounter.

-dex

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I have little shot gun shells that go in my 357, just for snakes..... When backpacking, the 2 first rounds are snake shot, the next 4 are hollow point hot loads for bears

I've heard of people carrying the Taurus Judge in the swamp. They load it with alternating .45 Colt and .410 shotgun shells. The .410's are for the Water Moccasins, and .45's are for the gators.

With 2 shots you're going to kill whatever you're aiming at.

-dex

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Yep, that's the one!

Notice the similarities to a rattler? A lot of people say you can easily tell the two apart by the size of the head. And, while I agree, when you don't have a rattlesnake right next to the one you find to compare it to, why risk it? A mistake is the difference between a $100,000 ER bill along with a (not so free) helicopter ride, versus a little 'ouchy' on the wrist or ankle.

I usually confirm their identity by the tail, before getting within striking distance.

ETA...Plus, a bullsnake will imitate a rattler too as a defense. They will coil up and rattle their tail just like a rattler (which makes their tail harder to see) and they will make this loud hissing noise which sounds just like a rattler rattling.

edit on 7/23/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Cripes $100,000 medical bill! How much would the helicpter ambulance cost? Ours in my parts are run by a charity so they are free if you need them in an emergency.
It's probably one of the best supported charities in the area, being rural with single track roads in many places everyone knows how important their service is.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Probably another $20-$25,000 (depending on where you are). You get tagged by one up in the mountains (in the timber) where they can't land and have send the high-angle boys in to get you out and you can figure on another $45-$50,000 for that same helicopter ride.

edit on 7/23/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Yea! Catch and release--I thought it might be curtains for the snake.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

ETA...Plus, a bullsnake will imitate a rattler too as a defense. They will coil up and rattle their tail just like a rattler (which makes their tail harder to see) and they will make this loud hissing noise which sounds just like a rattler rattling.

Yep. I saw that in my brief bit of research there. Apparently a lot of people won't take the time that you did in determining whether it's a bullsnake or rattler and just kill it as a precaution. I guess you can't blame them. A $100,000 ER bill and all the misery associated with a rattlesnake bite. Not to mention a rather painful death if it's not tended to quickly enough.

-dex

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I will say this though; it would appear you've gotten some traction on some of your posts on this thread, so there's more than one person who thinks all the stuff I post is crap and BS. Maybe people really aren't interested and are sick of seeing some of this stuff. Maybe much of this crap I post about just happens to everyone, every day, and I should just stop posting some of it. I could probably save some time and effort, that's for sure.

All I can say is I post about stuff I know and things that happen. I don't have much else way out here in the boonies like we are. There's no drugs, no violence, no city life, just country and all that comes with it.

Perhaps nobody really cares about all that.

Well personally, I've starred both of you for all of the posts in this thread.

Chill your beans FCD. NarcyBuddha isn't usually a troll.

We all have our moments.

Edit to add: I really enjoyed reading the OP. It's a good reminder that my most dangerous visitors are wasps and mosquitoes.

Oh, and the occasional large spider.
edit on 23-7-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: ☝

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Cripes $100,000 medical bill! How much would the helicpter ambulance cost? Ours in my parts are run by a charity so they are free if you need them in an emergency.
It's probably one of the best supported charities in the area, being rural with single track roads in many places everyone knows how important their service is.

Yep, we're very lucky in that respect. You've got to remember though that we live in a tiny country.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Haha true, the US is like 50 countries as I think about it, and rural can really mean rural in some parts.
I'd love to visit one day to experience the vastness.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

And we'd love to have you visit!!

Allow me to put "rural" into perspective for my part of the US. I'll do it in metric.

We're about 110km from the nearest stoplight, 16km to the nearest store (a small gas station) and 35km to the nearest grocery store (a small market). Our little 'town' (if you could even call it that), 16km from here, has one restaurant, open only for breakfast and lunch, a gas station, a tire place an auto parts store and a bar. That's it. Have to go to the next town over (35km) to get groceries. It's 4km to the nearest stop sign, and that's at the end of our driveway. Our nearest neighbor is about 4km away also, as the crow flies. And, it's 12km to the nearest paved road.

When it gets dark out here, it actually gets dark...'like the inside of a cow' (as we sometimes say). At night there is no sound other than critters sometimes and whatever sound you make. Otherwise it's completely silent. No sirens, train horns, traffic, loud cars / stereos or loud motorcycles, just complete silence.

When it snows in winter, we have to clear the roads. When it floods in spring we have to fix whatever needs fixing. If there's ever a fire, well, we better hope we've got something to put it out with because the fire department could take upwards of an hour (or longer) to get here.

Is it lonely? Never. Is it boring? Never, not even a little bit! Do we like it? Couldn't imagine it any other way.

That's kind of what 'rural' is to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Wow, thanks for such an interesting reply

I can only imagine living such a rural life, I imagine it has it's own unique challenges and beauty, especially when I read some of your threads and the work you have to put into it.
I love all your ranch/farm threads, I really imagine the differences between my world and yours.
The funny thing is most Brits would say I live in a rural location, but it almost makes a mockery of the word when compared to your rural.

...and thanks, I'll definitely visit the US one day.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

a reply to: visitedbythem

Those first two shots are sure gonna' piss off that bear one day!!

LOL!!!

He wont feel a thng if im carrying this one...

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
How many mice and rats do you NOT see.
Thank mr. snake for that.
They also eat poisonous snakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join