It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gobekli Tepe and the Dog Star

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So many of you have heard of Gobekli Tepe by now. It's an 11,000 year old megalithic structure purposely buried in Turkey.

What was so important to these early people that they gathered to build (and bury) the stone rings? Read more:

“There’s more time between Gobekli Tepe and the Sumerian clay tablets [etched in 3300 B.C.] than from Sumer to today,” says Gary Rollefson, an archaeologist at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, who is familiar with Schmidt’s work. “Trying to pick out symbolism from prehistoric context is an exercise in futility.”

I just found that second bit of information crazy to think about.

Now... here is where things get interesting.

World's oldest temple built to worship the "Dog Star"

THE world’s oldest temple, Göbekli Tepe in southern Turkey, may have been built to worship the dog star, Sirius.

The 11,000-year-old site consists of a series of at least 20 circular enclosures, although only a few have been uncovered since excavations began in the mid-1990s. Each one is surrounded by a ring of huge, T-shaped stone pillars, some of which are decorated with carvings of fierce animals. Two more megaliths stand parallel to each other at the centre of each ring (see illustration)

There is a theory out there floating around about the cosmic impact.

Crystalinks

Now I know this is not a site some of you will like but generally speaking the information is accurate and can be found in other sources. I'm simply using it as a source to cut down on links and data. You can find a plethora of information at this link.

The Dogon describe this 'star' specifically as having a circle of reddish rays around it, and this circle of rays is 'like a spot spreading' but remaining the same size. The Dogon are a West African tribe who have known about, and worshipped, Sirius A and its twin the invisible star Sirius B, for the past 5,000 years. They are have also been aware of the planets circle the sun in elliptical orbits, the four moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn.

They say that Sirius B is immensely heavy, invisible, very small, yet extremely powerful. Their understanding of the two stars' orbits coincides exactly with modern astronomical findings, yet was arrived at thousands of years before it was scientifically proven. They also claim that a third star Emme Ya - Sorghum Female - exists in the Sirius system. Larger and lighter than Sirius B, this star revolves around Sirius A as well.

The Dogon also believe that approximately 5,000 years ago, Amphibious Gods, called Nommo, came to Earth in three legged space ships from the Sirius Star System. They have described perfectly the DNA pattern made by this elliptical orbit created by the two stars as they rotate make around each other. They believe Sirius to be the axis of the universe, and from it all matter and all souls are produced in a great spiral motion.

This is the part that stands out the most to me.

In the Sumerian Civilization, predating the Egyptians, their epic poem Epic of Gilgamesh describes a dream of Gilgamesh where the hero is drawn irresistibly to a heavy star that cannot be lifted despite immense effort.

This star descends from heaven to him and is described as having a very 'potent essence' and being "the God of heaven". Gilgamesh had for his companions, 50 oarsmen in the great ship, Argo, a constellation bordering Canis Major, where Sirius is found.

The Story of Gilgamesh is an interesting creation myth similar to that of the biblical flood story and Noah.

Now, back to Gobekli Tepe. Knowing the prevelance of the flood myth's persistent in various mythologies and the oddity of the civilization that built the structure in Turkey and then purposely buried it.

What were they trying to tell us?

Do you think they knew something about Sirius, the cosmic impact/ flood myth and our origins that they were trying to preserve? Why would they have buried it?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Interestingly enough I was look into the Norte Chico from ancient Peru. Apparently they are one of the oldest known civilizations in Peru.

This means that they believed religious leaders had their power based on access to deities and the supernatural. One deity or god they believed in, was the Staff God, who was a hooded figure with fangs.

I found this to be very interesting but can't find much on their beliefs.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Tiwanaku

The Tiwanaku had another odd... seemingly related story about god's creating giants to move the stones.

In Tiwanaku, he created the people out of rock and brought life to them through the earth. The Tiwanaku believed that Viracocha created giants to move the massive stones that comprise much of their archaeology, but then grew unhappy with the giants and created a flood to destroy them[citation needed

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Cool thread. Love this stuff and all the speculation surrounding ancient sites.

I don't have much to add, but didn't the Dogon also describe Sirius B as the "heaviest matter in the universe"? Scientific observations confirm that Sirius B, a white dwarf star, while perhaps not being the heaviest matter, is pretty much close enough considering the Dogon made the claim from 8.6 light years away?

How did they know what they knew?
edit on 7/22/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

To me they obviously received the information from either and earlier ancient civilization that exist during the younger dryas => from a space faring civilization. I'm undecided

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
So many of you have heard of Gobekli Tepe by now. It's an 11,000 year old megalithic structure purposely buried in Turkey.

What was so important to these early people that they gathered to build (and bury) the stone rings? Read more:

“There’s more time between Gobekli Tepe and the Sumerian clay tablets [etched in 3300 B.C.] than from Sumer to today,” says Gary Rollefson, an archaeologist at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, who is familiar with Schmidt’s work. “Trying to pick out symbolism from prehistoric context is an exercise in futility.”

I just found that second bit of information crazy to think about.

Now... here is where things get interesting.

World's oldest temple built to worship the "Dog Star"

THE world’s oldest temple, Göbekli Tepe in southern Turkey, may have been built to worship the dog star, Sirius.

The 11,000-year-old site consists of a series of at least 20 circular enclosures, although only a few have been uncovered since excavations began in the mid-1990s. Each one is surrounded by a ring of huge, T-shaped stone pillars, some of which are decorated with carvings of fierce animals. Two more megaliths stand parallel to each other at the centre of each ring (see illustration)

There is a theory out there floating around about the cosmic impact.

Crystalinks

Now I know this is not a site some of you will like but generally speaking the information is accurate and can be found in other sources. I'm simply using it as a source to cut down on links and data. You can find a plethora of information at this link.

The Dogon describe this 'star' specifically as having a circle of reddish rays around it, and this circle of rays is 'like a spot spreading' but remaining the same size. The Dogon are a West African tribe who have known about, and worshipped, Sirius A and its twin the invisible star Sirius B, for the past 5,000 years. They are have also been aware of the planets circle the sun in elliptical orbits, the four moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn.

They say that Sirius B is immensely heavy, invisible, very small, yet extremely powerful. Their understanding of the two stars' orbits coincides exactly with modern astronomical findings, yet was arrived at thousands of years before it was scientifically proven. They also claim that a third star Emme Ya - Sorghum Female - exists in the Sirius system. Larger and lighter than Sirius B, this star revolves around Sirius A as well.

The Dogon also believe that approximately 5,000 years ago, Amphibious Gods, called Nommo, came to Earth in three legged space ships from the Sirius Star System. They have described perfectly the DNA pattern made by this elliptical orbit created by the two stars as they rotate make around each other. They believe Sirius to be the axis of the universe, and from it all matter and all souls are produced in a great spiral motion.

This is the part that stands out the most to me.

In the Sumerian Civilization, predating the Egyptians, their epic poem Epic of Gilgamesh describes a dream of Gilgamesh where the hero is drawn irresistibly to a heavy star that cannot be lifted despite immense effort.

This star descends from heaven to him and is described as having a very 'potent essence' and being "the God of heaven". Gilgamesh had for his companions, 50 oarsmen in the great ship, Argo, a constellation bordering Canis Major, where Sirius is found.

The Story of Gilgamesh is an interesting creation myth similar to that of the biblical flood story and Noah.

Now, back to Gobekli Tepe. Knowing the prevelance of the flood myth's persistent in various mythologies and the oddity of the civilization that built the structure in Turkey and then purposely buried it.

Do you think they knew something about Sirius, the cosmic impact/ flood myth and our origins that they were trying to preserve? Why would they have buried it?

They may have been trying to tell us that these structures exist inside of us.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

what do you mean?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Teach me what you know

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I think they were telling themselves how much they liked mushrooms:

And during some sort of apocalyptic event (at least from their local perspective) they were compelled to encase it expecting to come back to the ritual celebrations that went on there. But that never came about... 'the story' of which I expect would make an awesome epic film trilogy....

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

In all seriousness, have you considered that they were not trying to tell us a damned thing? But rather they were building the structures for needs which they had? Think of it this way, when we build something,are we trying to tell the future something OR are we trying to get the job done>

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

They had an entirely different set of cultural values.

They also intentionally buried it.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So? This still does not show they were trying to show us something. OF course they had a different set of cultural values. A few 100 years will cause this, let alone a few 1000.

Look, I'm just playing devils advocate here.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If I remember right...hate to be this guy but,
Wasn’t this all found out by a scientist who already knew all the specifics, claiming they knew all along based off of his interpretations with no written records from the Dogon tribe? It was “supposedly” handed down through thousands of years through stories.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I was tracking down the links from the OP, and came on Scientific American's mention of the theory of an asteroid impact ~12,900 years ago being a recent (last year) thing. They listed the abstract for the paper.

However, to my knowledge, the theory was first set forth in the book "Cycles of Cosmic Catastrophies," published in 2006. Same lead author.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

That's the interesting part. Who knows? I won't even dismiss the possibility that the source is spiritual/non-material.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Sometimes, both.

Take the Voyager spacecraft, for instance.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

what do you mean?

The Garden of Eden remember. Its real name was Enclosed Garden

It was an allegory for internal states of bliss consciousness called allegorically trees.

These T shaped figures may be replicas of those trees

Burying them is telling us their inside of us

"The kingdom of God is within you"

blog.world-mysteries.com...

Many believe this is the site of the Garden of Eden

blog.world-mysteries.com...
Read Andrew Collins book, pretty good, he knows a few things.
Gobekli Tepe: Genesis of the Gods: The Temple of the Watchers and the Discovery of Eden

LINK

He traces this near the Garden of Eden.

edit on 22-7-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
LINK

Built at the end of the last ice age, the mysterious stone temple complex of Göbekli Tepe in Turkey is one of the greatest challenges to 21st century archaeology. As much as 7,000 years older than the Great Pyramid and Stonehenge, its strange buildings and rings of T-shaped monoliths--built with stones weighing from 10 to 15 tons--show a level of sophistication and artistic achievement unmatched until the rise of the great civilizations of the ancient world, Sumer, Egypt, and Babylon. Chronicling his travels to Göbekli Tepe and surrounding sites, Andrew Collins details the layout, architecture, and exquisite relief carvings of ice age animals and human forms found at this 12,000-year-old megalithic complex, now recognized as the oldest stone architecture in the world. He explores how it was built as a reaction to a global cataclysm--the Great Flood in the Bible--and explains how it served as a gateway and map to the sky-world, the place of first creation, reached via a bright star in the constellation of Cygnus. He reveals those behind its construction as the Watchers of the Book of Enoch and the Anunnaki gods of Sumerian tradition. Unveiling Göbekli Tepe’s foundational role in the rise of civilization, Collins shows how it is connected to humanity’s creation in the Garden of Eden and the secrets Adam passed to his son Seth, the founder of an angelic race called the Sethites. In his search for Adam’s legendary Cave of Treasures, the author discovers the Garden of Eden and the remains of the Tree of Life--in the same sacred region where Göbekli Tepe is being uncovered today.

I dont totally agree with Collins but he's close.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

So, we've found a message in the ruins then? No seriously Voyager has a very pointed message from "Humanity", what do we have here?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Firstly, I'm merely speculating. I think this is a neat topic but I'm a total dilettante when it comes down to it.

Just because we didn't/haven't found a message written out in plain language doesn't mean that there isn't one. It is being suggested in the thread that the site and its intentional burial is the essence of the message.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join