It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Thought of a Way to Build a Time Machine

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well, I'm saying that if I thought about it, and went ahead to build it over the course of several years and wanted to revisit the day it all began, could I expect to see myself from that point?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero
a reply to: projectvxn

Thank you. I'm about to leave for the day but I'll be back Monday to pick right back up here.

Generally, what I am saying is that your paradox idea violates the 'c' in E=mc^2 and that there is no known mechanism that can do that regardless of how fast you travel.

Time dilation as explained by the Photon Clock video would allow you to travel forward in time and you don't need FTL to do it. Hell, you don't even need to reach the speed of light to see the effects of time dilation on your perception of time outside of your local space.
edit on 21 7 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Don't mess with time man.

Bad joo joo!

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Well, I'm saying that if I thought about it, and went ahead to build it over the course of several years and wanted to revisit the day it all began, could I expect to see myself from that point?

You're changing what you said in mid-stream. Below is what you actually said originally

If I figured out a way to build a time machine and started drawing out blueprints, gathering parts, etc., could I expect to get a visit from my future self in the time machine I invented? And if so, could I just use that one instead of continuing my current plans or would it disappear?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

a reply to: DanDanDat

Have you ever noticed someone from a distance that looked just like you?

Not yet...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Definitely sativa.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Not exactly, but I have more than once encountered complete strangers who seemed to think they know me. I usually just play along.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

I get a visit from my future self in the time machine I invented? And if so, could I just use that one instead of continuing my current plans or would it disappear?

It all depends if its indica or sativa...

I used dabs, and my wife went all mid evil on me, does that count?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

Save JFK and MLK if can.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Get your butt to the North Pole....Stand up straight with your arms out and whirly dervish. Counter Spin = Past, Over Spin = Future. Each revolution equals a day. Go back to your point of observation and check the clocks. This is the ancient secret to immortality and endless riches. Bring a windbreaker...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

It's impossible so I wouldn't expect you to show up. The fact you haven't is proof.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Even one breath on Earth would forever change it to the point he no longer exists.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

You can not visit your past self (or the past in general) because it does not exist anymore.

What you see as past is a specific configuration of the universe which does not match the now.

And to "travel back to it" you would have to recreate this past configuration somehow, and also alter it to include your current self.

I see no physical way to do that, as quantum mechanics effectively prevents us from knowing the exact configuration of the universe at any time.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

If (future) you visited (present) you in a time machine...a secondary timeline would exist.

Awww , you beat me too it.
Yes , another universe would branch off and never the twain would meet.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

a reply to: IAMTAT

I believe many timelines exist simultaneously.

You are an Onion.....and you exist in every possible timeline you choose yo be in....but does one layer of the onion know it is an onion ...is it aware that other layers exist from a greater source which is equally self or does it consider itself as a single layer to be the catalyst of its own existance.

edit on 22-7-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

a reply to: projectvxn

Thank you. I'm about to leave for the day but I'll be back Monday to pick right back up here.

Generally, what I am saying is that your paradox idea violates the 'c' in E=mc^2 and that there is no known mechanism that can do that regardless of how fast you travel.

Time dilation as explained by the Photon Clock video would allow you to travel forward in time and you don't need FTL to do it. Hell, you don't even need to reach the speed of light to see the effects of time dilation on your perception of time outside of your local space.

Keyword, no known.

Wait a minute, you're telling me I don't have to travel the speed of light to travel into the future? From what I've read, if you're traveling the speed of light, for every 24 hours that passes for you, a year passes on Earth.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I would definitely alter history...

Well, now that I write that out loud, I don't think I would.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

You're changing what you said in mid-stream. Below is what you actually said originally

If I figured out a way to build a time machine and started drawing out blueprints, gathering parts, etc., could I expect to get a visit from my future self in the time machine I invented? And if so, could I just use that one instead of continuing my current plans or would it disappear?

Right. Because if I thought about it and put the plan in motion, I could come back to revisit the day it began, thus visiting the me of the past which is currently the me of now. And if that happened and I decided to forget the whole thing since I have in my possession, the one I built in the future, would it disappear since I decided to use it instead of continue to build it. It all ties into my original post.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Nice... I'm not a smoker though, I had to look the two terms up lol.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join