It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does "Close" get the click?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Internet advertisers pay by different rates depending on whether ads just get 'viewed' or 'clicked'.

So when an ad has a 'close' option I wonder, does that mean it got clicked?

Here's my theory...Internet advertising firms bundle ads from merchants in certain kinds of formats so they can bulk sell them to hosts. These are 3rd party companies. They can get more business and more revenue from merchants if they can prove the ad got clicked. So I'm thinking they offer a 'close' option so they can turn around and tell merchants the ad got 'clicked' and get more money. Just my theory though.

ETA...there might also be a different (elevated) rate for "close clicks" too (as opposed to just viewed) because a 'close click' at least means the user saw the ad versus just ignoring it altogether on a web page. I'm all for that logic! I like having the option to close them.
edit on 7/21/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Are you referring to the new ads that you have to close to log in here?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

No, just in general.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Never see 'em... because I never log out... months at a time

So...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Internet advertisers pay by different rates depending on whether ads just get 'viewed' or 'clicked'.

So when an ad has a 'close' option I wonder, does that mean it got clicked?

Here's my theory...Internet advertising firms bundle ads from merchants in certain kinds of formats so they can bulk sell them to hosts. These are 3rd party companies. They can get more business and more revenue from merchants if they can prove the ad got clicked. So I'm thinking they offer a 'close' option so they can turn around and tell merchants the ad got 'clicked' and get more money. Just my theory though.

ETA...there might also be a different (elevated) rate for "close clicks" too (as opposed to just viewed) because a 'close click' at least means the user saw the ad versus just ignoring it altogether on a web page. I'm all for that logic! I like having the option to close them.

'mornin' FCD... I'm of the opinion if you see these to click them OFF? Well then... we DID see them. Mission accomplished. We saw, we clicked... they know

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Couldn't say. I suspect every add has a unique identifier for each site it is posted to and is paid according to that identifier if it is clicked on. Regardless, I have NEVER even opened the first add on any site. I shop out of necessity, not impulse.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Online advertising is not advertising. Not anymore.

So ingrained into being, I refuse to even accept it. I don't. Never have, never will. If I am sitting in my chair, and someone shoves their face in my window and yells "BY MY MILK!!" I will either punch # out of them, or pull my curtains.

If someone says "But you're taking my hard earned money by closing your curtains!!" I will just say.. "Deal with it. Asshole."

If that means I don't get to see the sunlight because the sun is owned by google now, so be it.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Couldn't say. I suspect every add has a unique identifier for each site it is posted to and is paid according to that identifier if it is clicked on. Regardless, I have NEVER even opened the first add on any site. I shop out of necessity, not impulse.

Stop stealing poor webdev income you heartless heathen.

Don't you know you are responsible for ensuring they have food on their tables

Meanie.

new topics

top topics

join