It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buffy is coming back. Buffy is coming back black

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
if theyre gonna change her race they should change her name

if youre going to go black then go all the way

not buying Buffy.

Delanice the vampire slayer...

The saddest thing is that Joss Whedon should be creative enough to create an entirely new character who is black who is completely kick ass in her own right like Zoe from Firefly.

Why try to take an established property with an established fan base and ret-con it? It just pisses people off and then gives the SJWs more fodder to complain about how bigoted everyone is for not liking things.

In fact ... as I think about it, given Whedon's talent for creating awesome characters, I almost think this would be the only reason he would do this, just so he can then mock and denigrate the people who don't buy it because they dislike the sudden ret-con of the world they knew and loved.
edit on 21-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer” creator Joss Wheden is preparing a reboot of the wildly popular TV series of fearless young heroes battling the creepy supernatural forces of the nether world. Whedon will team up again with Midnight, Texas showrunner Monica Owusu-Breen, his co-executive producer on “Agents of Shield.” They plan to feature a black actress in the starring Buffy role

i am of the opinion of eh
i didnt really like the movie or the show.
i know there are some buffy super fans though.

stoked about this?

i also cant wait for people to start bitching about the lead being a black lady. that will be fun

i just dont care about that kind of # but people do

I actually enjoyed the show

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
But Buffy is just one vampire slayer... why couldn't they just, I dunno, follow another vampire slayer? I mean it's not like Buffy didn't run into any black vampire slayers in the show.

Why is it necessary to rewrite Buffy as a black girl? There's literally zero reason or need for it.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Right best vampire movies of all time.

First is a full movie, one of my all time favorite vampire movies

And next is a scene from a dracula dead and loving it.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Of course , all you Honkies would'nt know of the One true Vampire...none other than the one and only...

Blacula............. Right On man, Can You Dig it Brutha!!

Obviously a black buffy would change her name to BUTTY, you know the black cat with da Azz from heaven, Mmm give me dat booty BUTTY!! She can but into Vampire business, an hit them with both cheeks.....Mmm BUTTY Yeah baby....

BTW, they are remaking Beverly Hills Cop with a red head Asian Girl, Blade as a transgender skinny white blonde dude, and future Morgan Freeman parts and voice overs with Martha Stewart.......

Happy Days......was in the 70s...

edit on 21-7-2018 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
But Buffy is just one vampire slayer... why couldn't they just, I dunno, follow another vampire slayer? I mean it's not like Buffy didn't run into any black vampire slayers in the show.

Why is it necessary to rewrite Buffy as a black girl? There's literally zero reason or need for it.

They're doing this for the same reason that the newest Ghostbusters movie couldn't be a sequel with the daughter/s of the previous Ghostbuster/s who takes up the torch, but instead had to be a complete reboot with four female Ghostbusters that attempted pave over everything that had gone before.

And I predict it will do about as well. Fans would likely be fairly receptive to a new slayer in the Buffy-verse who is black, but they likely won't be nearly as receptive to an entire reboot of all that has gone before attempting to erase the Sarah Michelle Gellar character with a black Buffy.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Here's an honest question.

Where are all the brown hero's and heroines?

Well, there was these guys,....

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly! Don't replace SMG. I'm a huge fan, page 3 of this thread shows it!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
They just need to make her a transsexual muslim too and they'll have all their bases covered.

In a wheelchair.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

I saw Blackula WAY back. Great pulp movie. Jim Carrey's first starring role was a vampire movie. Also good.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Did you ever stop and think that people are "bitching" as you put it, not because the lead is black, but because the Buffy character isn't black? This show is taking a character and story they know and love and re-writing it in ways that violate what they know and love. Had Whedon made Buffy black in the very first place. These same fans who are going to "bitch" (as you put it) wouldn't have cared at all because they never had any other conception of who Buffy is.

Try looking at it this way:

I am guessing from things I've seen that you're a white male. You've spent all your life seeing a white male in every mirror you look in and every picture of yourself ever taken. You're comfortable and familiar with that sense of who you are. Now imagine you wake up one day and that familiar self has suddenly arbitrarily been replaced by a 350 lb black woman. Welcome to your new reality!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

This is exactly why fans aren't happy!!! Buffy is a white valley girl! It would be like changing Harry Potter or any well established character and who they are!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Well, there was these guys,....

Super Dopers!

What every red blood American kid wants to be when they grow up!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

This show is taking a character and story they know and love and re-writing it in ways that violate what they know and love.

They did the same thing with Battlestar Galactica, and others.

Our supposed 'betters' that intellectually superior lot, For some odd reasons just recycles film and television constantly.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Joss Whedon is not writing it. Just producing. Monica Owusu-Breen is writing it and she is the showrunner. She is considered the creator of the Midnight Texas show, even though it was based on a book series, and was a producer on Agents of Shield.
edit on 22-7-2018 by karmicecstasy because: vampire attack at the mall

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Most articles are saying that the Buffy character will be recast with a black actress. But this Deadline article says this.

The new version, which will be pitched to streaming and cable networks this summer, will be contemporary, building on the mythology of the original. Per the producers: “Like our world, it will be richly diverse, and like the original, some aspects of the series could be seen as metaphors for issues facing us all today.” According to sources, the diversity in the show’s description reflects the producers’ intention for the new slayer to be African American. The sources cautioned that the project is still in nascent stages with no script, and many details are still in flux.

The article says building on the mythology of the original, new slayer to be African American, and no script yet, details still in flux. So maybe everyone has jumped the gun and there is still hope for this to be a new slayer and a continuation of the original. Which I hope is the case.
edit on 22-7-2018 by karmicecstasy because: The Master said I had to...To appease the First Evil...Something something Spike.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I hope so.

It's one thing when you have latitude in your character premise for the character to change aspects of race, gender, etc. For example, your main character might be a job title or defined by a magic weapon or mantle that passes from person to person and each person can then be different. With that type of open concept, you can easily switch from one person to the next and change radical aspects of who the character is while maintaining a constant identifying core.

But with a lot of characters, the person and core identity are just too much locked into who and what the person is. There is no Spider-Man without Peter Parker; there is no Boy Who Lived without Harry Potter. The person is just too intrinsic to the whole.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

If that's the case I'm suddenly interested in the show as I enjoyed the Buffyverse. I just don't want to see a character who's already got a defined appearance altered for racist reasons disguised as social justice.

I'm all for more of the Buffyverse as I really enjoyed the shows. I also have no issue with following a different slayer and don't give two #s about her skin color. Buffy herself deseves a rest she's hit that epic point where the only place left to go is silly... not that they didn't go there already but is far enough.

The verse needs a fresh face and a fresh story. Not a new face for reasons of social justice nonsense in an old story altered to accept the new face.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

This might be off topic but what exactly is "American Cultural"?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I enjoyed it, back in the day.

Killer theme tune for the time, some passable action sequences, and interesting ideas... It WAS very cheesy, but there again, EVERYTHING was back in the day. You could not escape the fromage no matter where you looked for entertainment. All in all, there are worse things than Buffy The Vampire Slayer, and for what its worth, with Whedon, I think the cheese factor was a deliberate move. It kind of lent the whole thing a B movie vibe, which it needed to kind of soften the edges, and make suspension of disbelief a little easier. It was a fun show, you could not take it too seriously in the slightest.

As for the lead being a person of colour, I honestly couldn't give a damn. If they can act the part, fit with the theme of the show, and do the action sequences justice, then I don't care if they are painted neon pink with electric lime green polka dots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join