It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: Is the Universe a Simulation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This topic excited me, to the point where I actually took notes. I never do that lol. I usually speak my mind as is but this one is good, and it brought a lot of questions to my subconscious that i've had for a couple of decades atleast if not more.

If you enjoy pulling apart information and dissecting it, you'll enjoy the serious questions/answers of this panel, including the humor! Morpheus and Mario among the others were particularily comedous.

From the Panel:

Everything in the Universe is Mathematical, so then Consciousness must also be in that category. (golden phi) Gortle ( of the incompleteness theorem) says, the theorum says, there are things in mathematics that cannot be proven. If it's consistant. In fact, Gordle Proved it. Atom in the Greek means 'indivisible'. (unable to be divided or separated) If you don't break the semitries you don't get us, humanity. If the laws of Semitry remain unbroken, we wouldn't exist. It would just be a universe of photons.

2016 Asimov Panelists:

David Chalmers
Professor of philosophy, New York University

Zohreh Davoudi
Theoretical physicist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

James Gates
Theoretical physicist, University of Maryland

Lisa Randall
Theoretical physicist, Harvard University

Max Tegmark
Cosmologist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

The late Dr. Isaac Asimov, one of the most prolific and influential authors of our time, was a dear friend and supporter of the American Museum of Natural History. In his memory, the Hayden Planetarium is honored to host the annual Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate — generously endowed by relatives, friends, and admirers of Isaac Asimov and his work — bringing the finest minds in the world to the Museum each year to debate pressing questions on the frontier of scientific discovery. Proceeds from ticket sales of the Isaac Asimov Memorial Debates benefit the scientific and educational programs of the Hayden Planetarium.

edit on 21-7-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
If we are simulations, did the programmer program us to create and theorize for him, as we do for programs we create? Or did they create us to be just intellible to 'not' be able to get out of our own simulation? Or, is there a secret doorway we haven't discovered yet, and is, could, that doorway include the OORT Cloud.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

His favourite story. The last question.

Watching debate now.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If the universe is a simulation, we would never be programmed to know it.

And Pi is infinite.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: blackcrowe

You'll enjoy watching the panel. Thanks for the post, I'm taking a look now.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

The Incompleteness theorems were invented by the mathematician Kurt Gödel, not 'Gortel'.

Also, I think you meant supersymmetry, not 'semitry'. In supersymmetry, all positive forces are counterbalanced exactly by negative ones and the sum total is zero. Yet we see a universe of matter and energy, not a 'nulling out' of 'matter/antimatter' and 'positive energy/negative energy'. In other words, supersymmetry is broken somehow in the observed universe.

Sorry to be a 'grammar Nazi'.

None the less, thanks for the link to the lecture! I'll comment when I have watched it.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

If you watch the Panel, these physicists talk about the 'infinite'. It's contrary to what we think it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Super Symetry wasn't mentioned by these physicists. Don't worry about the grammar thing, I'm a recovering Grammar Nazi I understand.

Without Symetry, we wouldn't exist as we do, is what I got from this. If the laws of Symetry remained unbroken, we wouldn't exist. It would just be a universe of photons.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

It would just be a universe of photons.

The newest theories say that it is

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Is it? Please post your theoretical information, i'm interested in knowing more

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
All the Universe is a stage and all the men and women merely players...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yes I would agree with the idea that we're all marionettes on a string being tugged along like sheep. Why do you think that though, what are your personal thoughts on it?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I have many questions regarding the why's of why we're here and, there are no solid conclusions however, I do believe that 'if' we are in fact being Manipulated by something higher than ourselves, there are 2 or more scenarios we may want to consider.

1. Whoever made us, is a complete arrogant nutcase and we're all #cked.

2. A child created us in a petrie dish and we're still #cked.

3. We 'ARE' those who made us, simulating ourselves for 'entertainment purposes only'.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Several things came to mind after a brief scan of this thread.

First studying some of Asimov's stories about sentient robots would narrow the context.

There were "simulations" done for the Apollo manned moon mission that were recognized differently by different observers.

The "mathematics" ciphers use to give the impression of robust security are defeated by real phenomena like polarized light.

A bitcoin mining robot is bounded by its hardware limitations, thus an easy example to explain the evolution of "robots".

Mathematically we humans do not have infinite potential to assimilate due to our neural hardware limitations so we simulate reality as best we can.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

1. Whoever made us, is a complete arrogant nutcase and we're all #cked.

Have you been watching 'Westworld'? Lol.
Ford is a psychopath.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: Vector99

If you watch the Panel, these physicists talk about the 'infinite'. It's contrary to what we think it is.

infinite is a word us humans cannot comprehend.

We know a beginning and end, and we barely know that.

We just don't know. Science is intriguing in that sense, as every time we will learn something.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

We simulate according to the rules we've been given. Is how I understand it, perhaps we were programmed with certain rules pertaining to our Universe. And we may be limited at some point which is why our World keeps on repeating itself over and over.

And it does, it repeats, it's destroyed, and then it repeats again. Are we at the end of our time allowance? Will Polarization wipe us out in the next 80 years only to reboot and begin once more?

These are questions I'd like answered but it's unlikely in this simulation, that will take place.

The first time I encountered the Earth as a Hologram Scenario was in 2004, and ever since, i've been seeking answers. In fact I think the first time I sought them I was a child.

I had 3 specific Questions as a young child, that no one could or would answer. They were ..

1. Why am I here
2. Who is God, if he made us, who made Him?
3. And ironically, what is love?

I've yet to discover the answer to those questions, like many others I've spoken to who have had the same questions as I regarding our reality.

www.goodreads.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

If we are simulations, did the programmer program us to create and theorize for him, as we do for programs we create? Or did they create us to be just intellible to 'not' be able to get out of our own simulation? Or, is there a secret doorway we haven't discovered yet, and is, could, that doorway include the OORT Cloud.

What is appearing?
What is seeing and knowing that there is an appearance?

The appearance is not separate from the seeing.................it may seen like two things................but is it?
Here is a link to the secret doorway.........the open doorway theopendoorway.org...

What you are actually is beyond words, but it would be not untrue to say you are nothing whatsoever other than pure, infinite, disembodied consciousness/intelligence; a field of miraculous infinite light; God dreaming itself; an infinite point of pure potential; or the infinite implications of nothing whatsoever.

The immediate presentation of this unspeakable actuality is the field of your experience, which is an instantaneously appearing virtual field of Radiant Presence as apparent qualities. This is the actuality of which every/ and any/ thing that you think exists consists. This is inclusive and complete; nothing whatever other than this field exists. In short, the entirety of Reality is the "bubble" of YOUR experience, the field of Radiant Presence, which alone exists.

This is the totality of Reality. This is not theoretical, but is actually, immediately real; always the case right here right now.

and another the open secret..www.theopensecret.com...
edit on 21-7-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I'm not a Yoga Enthusiast but I will take a look at your link.

Let me just add..

I don't believe God is 'dreaming' itself. There's more to this place than meets the 'eye'. imho.

People had ideas and that's fine, it helps us define and discuss reasonably as adults but that's it. If this is fact a simulated Universe we're living in, the programmer might have placed a simulation / virus into it to make us believe whatever it willed. Right? We don't know. Speculation is all we have, until we cease to exist. We may never know until then.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Universe as a simulation is a lazy cop out hypothesis.

We don't understand why the universe is the way it is, let's just assume it is a simulation...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join