It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can one be a cisgender drag-queen?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Wanted to ask this in a chatty thread for a long time, not sure.

Can one be a cisgender transvestite?

That is, all people have a bit of both genders.
But you're expected to be an alpha male-type as a male.
You don't measure up, so you compensate by becoming hyper-masculine.

It's a different type of drag.
You want to be more your own gender than is possible, and you go over the top.

So is it possible to be in cisgender-drag?

I'd define it as wanting to be your own gender so much that you start choosing clothes or pastimes that are far more butch than you actually feel.

It's just so ultra-conformist that society might not even recognize it as "drag".
But sure, if you have a smirk doing it, I guess it's drag.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Is it possible to be a self-deluded doosh?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I can make the argument--by progressive standards--that I'm a lesbian. Will it float?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Not sure if this is on point but I'm not a fan of this whole new "gender movement" thing that's taking place and to the point, if my "gender" understanding is right then Cis means the sex you were born as, right? If so then yes, but I always thought drags were only men dressed as women but I was recently told that women can be drag as well (confused me). Back onto the gender issue. I do think that this is a fad that's going to die out in a few years (hopefully) because I've seen it confuse many people including teenagers. As I've said before (other replies on other threads) I work in a secondary school in the UK and have had to sit through long sometimes multiple lessons or assemblies concerning gender and heard kids asking questions like "But why? Why do we have to hear this" and the teacher replying "because it's todays problems" and that's what I think this will become. We are watching people accept this as a real thing as factual. Now I'm not saying people aren't born in the wrong body, with men beleiving they are women and vice versa (putting intersex aside) but I do think as most sceintists have said that this is a strange situation we're going through. What was a clear mental issue has now become an accepted part of life and that's troubling for me.

I'm just against adding and changing gender, I think it should stick to male, female and intersex. You want to go from one to the other, then okay that's your choice but don't ask me to change the way I speak, I'll call you by your new name and respect your choice but adding all these different genders isn't needed and is going to become a moment of ridicule for a lot of people in the future. I'm putting on my Nostradamus hat here and predict that in the near future we will look back on these moments and this attempt to change things as a dangerous time that has done more damage than good.

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier, what was once a mental medical illness is now considered to be acceptable. This very thing is what is lead to people calling to accept all walks of life including some rather dark ones that I can't mention because it'll get this comment removed. I'll end with this - I'm happy for people to find their place in the world and will support them to do so but we have to accept that this isn't "normal" I do believe that most people are jumping on this and trying to feel special. Also, kids under the age of sixteen should not be allowed to change their gender. I'm not talking about dressing up and living as the opposite sex I mean taking the medication, medical procedures to change parts of their body because there is a growing number of people who are regretting these changes and having to go back to the doctors to have it reversed.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

For sure, one should not get caught up in one's own delusions.
But all gender is performativity.

Only gender transgressions make us aware of that.

Expected gender performance, is usually applauded.
Even if it is also just a performance.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

All drag queens are cis.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I was born a male but I identify as a lesbian.....

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
For example, given a choice I'd be quite a fem gay man.

Yet here I am wearing a military uniform.

That's a kind of drag.

To me personally it's a costume, or a job, but where ever I go, nobody looks at me funny.

It's cisgender drag.

I'm wearing these garments, but they're not me, but I be an actor.

edit on 20-7-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

For sure, but your "drag" isn't a self-aware illusion of the opposite gender.

It's a self-aware illusion of your own gender.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
I can make the argument--by progressive standards--that I'm a lesbian. Will it float?

You can prove it by going to the next gay pride parade and stopping the procession by taking off your shirt and forming a mosh pit in the middle of the street.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
But wait a minute - a delusion of your own gender, but that's what you should be!

Or not?

I mean if you're born "male" can you actually become more masculine than society defines "masculinity"?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
a reply to: Abysha

For sure, but your "drag" isn't a self-aware illusion of the opposite gender.

It's a self-aware illusion of your own gender.

I don't think you understand what drag queens are. They are men putting on a performance. I know straight ones who are real successful with the ladies when they aren't performing and some who are family men.

It's a performance. Like every Shakespeare play back in the day.

They aren't trans nor do they have dysphoria.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
But wait a minute - a delusion of your own gender, but that's what you should be!

Or not?

I mean if you're born "male" can you actually become more masculine than society defines "masculinity"?

I think I see what you are trying to say now. I watched a Ted Talks (I think) a while back that kind of covered this. Basically, the point was that everybody who isn't androgynous in style is technically "trans" since they are transitioning towards one end of the spectrum or the other, even if it's further on the side of the spectrum they were assigned at birth.

So say a cisgender woman gets a breast augmentation to enhance her secondary sexual characteristics, she is moving along further down the feminine side of the spectrum... transitioning, even.

After watching it, I hadn't really decided if I was convinced but I thought it was a really cool observation.

Is that what you are talking about?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Eddie Izard...

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Comedian Eddie Izard..

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Maybe, more talking all gender being an illusion.

There's a huge onus on femininity at the moment.
Which I find very dangerous.
Because it's expecting a constant interrogation of all things feminine.

Masculinity is silenced and just seen as "natural".
But I know it is also just a performance.

I am aware of performing it every day.
And thus, I am no less a gender artiste, than a drag queen.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Some might say, if you're so aware it's all a "male gender show", then maybe you are outside it?

Possibly, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Just a point of fact,

the prefixes cis and trans, are historically chemical terms.

Cis–trans isomerism, also known as geometric isomerism or configurational isomerism, is a term used in organic chemistry. The prefixes "cis" and "trans" are from Latin: "this side of" and "the other side of", respectively. ... Cis and trans isomers occur both in organic molecules and in inorganic coordination complexes.

So, I don't think you can be a cis-trans.

But you can still wear a dress and pretend to be barbra streisand, even if your name is barry, I think.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am man (I hope I'm good enough).

But I try.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join