It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

James Gunn fired as 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3' director after 'indefensible' tweets resurface

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

I don’t know why you are resorting to calling me names. I never claimed James Gunn was a pedo and I never claimed James Gunn broke any laws.

If I owned a company that was centered around catering to children and families (namely Disney) I certainly would have fired him. His tweets aren’t consistent with Disney’s core values. It’s about upholding a moral standard.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme
a reply to: TerryDon79

I completely agree.

The other thing is, he did apologise for the jokes. Not just now but in the past. It seems that once a man is condemned, that's it - he's condemned for life.

And he actually didn't kill, rob, steal, cheat or, more importantly, actually DO anything to kids. Nothing.

He made some jokes, sure, poor taste maybe. But the precious snowflakes of today feel it necessary to ruin the man's career. And in my opinion, the 2 GOTG films helped transform the MCU film franchise.

Shame. Years of achievement undone because of bad jokes 10 years ago which he regrets and apologised for.

Hey too late.

This is the same standard used as a 10 year old access Hollywood tape.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Ok, *if* you owned a company that was centred around catering to children and families, why did you hire him?

His posts were online for years. Not just a couple. 10 years.

The point I'm making is that while his posts were certainly in poor taste, Disney still hired him. And made a shed load of cash off him.

It was only when a bunch of triggered PC snowflakes (no, I'm not saying that's you god forbid my post get deleted because someone's feelings are hurt) feel offended, it gets raised up and presto - he's fired.

I would argue the standards by which Disney conduct themselves are far worse that whatever Gunn tweeted.
edit on 23-7-2018 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Ok, *if* you owned a company that was centred around catering to children and families, why did you hire him?

His posts were online for years. Not just a couple. 10 years.

The point I'm making is that while his posts were certainly in poor taste, Disney still hired him. And made a shed load of cash off him.

It was only when a bunch of triggered PC snowflakes (no, I'm not saying that's you god forbid my post get deleted because someone's feelings are hurt) feel offended, it gets raised up and presto - he's fired.

I would argue the standards by which Disney conduct themselves are far worse that whatever Gunn tweeted.

If Disney hired him already knowing about his tweets then... I would say that firing him just because a bunch of snowflake crybabies cried about some of his tweets that they didn’t cry about 10 years ago when the tweets were tweeted but now they want to cry about it now just to get him fired....would be wrong.

But yet they probably felt it necessary for the overall health of the company. They are worried most about backlash. What if they didn’t fire him? Would their stock plummet? Would advertisers pull out? Would people stop buying their products? Would it be less of a headache to just fire the guy and deal with other consequences?

I think they made a business decision and not a moral decision if it is true that they knew about his tweets years ago and if that’s true then I think it’s wrong absolutely.
It’s tough for companies because they are the ones who get hurt the most and they have to make these messed up decisions.

However if they didn’t know about these tweets when they hired him and they are just now finding out about them then they are justified in firing him. Now that I think about it, how could they NOT have known about these tweets years ago?

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I agree. It seems to be more of a biz choice than a morality one.

And we then get to the discussions of -- at what point do you retrospectively 'punish' or take action over a (perceived) offence? And to what degree depending on the offence? If it was an offence..?

As I argued earlier (and if I name called you i apologise) there is no evidence that JG actually committed any of the offences he tweeted about. Yes, the tweets were in very *very* poor taste. And he had subsequently apologised and gave an explanation why. In my opinion, if Disney didn't have an issue when they hired him, they shouldn't now, *unless* of course he still stands behind them and still makes such comments or exhibits that same behaviour. Which he doesn't, according to him.

However, if we're talking about someone who was and still is condoning really bad social attitudes like racism, bigotry, etc -- of course, Disney has the right and should get rid of him.

And.. I mean, Disney *must* have known about the tweets, surely? For all their legal might and exactly as you pointed out -- a company who's entire business model is child and family entertainment, they MUST have the right legal teams to background check people they hire. If not.. that's a really serious 'faux pas' on their part.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

For the same reason that anyone fires anyone after a bunch of people dig up old tweets or other posts or videos, etc., these days -- we have started trying people in the court of public opinion and not through the courts.

This will be the third such post I've made that essentially says something to the effect of "a lot of us told you so." This is what happens. No one is safe because the standards the public decides it will tolerate are always shifting and may decide they'll eat you tomorrow as easily as you howl right along with the mob today.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

What made me think about it was I imagined a workplace like an office or a set where lots of people work together. Even if Disney did zero background check (which I’m sure is not the case) the employees working around there would have quickly found out about James Gunn’s tweets. We know how fast crap like that gets found out in the workplace.

Roseanne definitely should not have been fired though. I mean she thought the woman was white (like 99% of the rest of us did) and the lady she made fun of DID LOOK LIKE THE CHARACTER from Planet of the Apes!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's fine. But is that what it comes to: depending on one's crime(s), a person is unforgivable?

Some crimes I can categorically agree are 100% unforgivable. But.. the jokes he made. Is that it for him? or for anyone? No actual crime was committed, just really, really poor taste and judgement.

Of course Disney has the right to do what they did. What I'm saying is, could they not have said, "Look - the guy made some really bad judgement calls on some jokes 10 years ago. He has recounted them, apologised and since we've hired him, done a sterling job at taking the MCU in a direction we want which we and audiences all agree."

It just seems now we live in a world that political correctness and perceived moral superiority are now the qualities people must adhere to, not ability or ingenuity. (shrug)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Some crimes I can categorically agree are 100% unforgivable.

Agreed.

If he, say, put ice in his Bourbon or ordered his steak well done then they should not only have fired him they should have fired him into a never-ending Miley Cyrus concert.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I AM GROOT.

Hodor!

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Some crimes I can categorically agree are 100% unforgivable.

Agreed.

If he, say, put ice in his Bourbon or ordered his steak well done then they should not only have fired him they should have fired him into a never-ending Miley Cyrus concert.

Yesh, yesh if a book fallsh on my head I can only blame my-shelf.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Agreed.

If he, say, put ice in his Bourbon.

Don't...don't even JOKE about that. That's...

No words.. no words.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure they did fire him solely because the tweets were exposed, not because they found out about them. I actually blame Disney less than I do the idiots who outed him in the first place.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Don't...don't even JOKE about that. That's...

No words.. no words.

People should be beat with framing hammers.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The guy that played Yondu just quit over this.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not a lot of future in that role anyway.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

There must have been something if he quit. Don't want to throw spoilers out there.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's why I phrased it the way I did.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: pavil
a reply to: gort51

I don't remember Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy often talking about raping underage kids, did they? Refresh my memory.

You dont have the barometer on whats offensive, what might not be offensive to you, might be to someone else.
Perhaps you should lose your job or your livlihood?
its interesting to see anyone trying to stand up for this man.

We do have a barometer on morality

you dont call a black man a N#
you dont call a jew a K#
you dont talk about religion or politics at a bar
you dont rape
and you dont make jokes about raping kids

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
James Gunn should be praised for giving Vin Diesel his best acting performance of his career.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join