It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Cohen Secretly Taped Trump Discussing Payment to Playboy Model

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: DJW001

There is nothing to defend against. There are no crimes here and Cohen isn't saying anything. So strike one try again.

Let me explain this as simply as possible. Remember when Trump said that Comey had better hope that there were no recordings? This entire affair is intended to remind Trump that, due to his lengthy and very public record of lying and breaking contracts, nearly every conversation he has had for decades has been recorded by his counterparts in self defense. Attorney client privilege is not specifically mentioned in the Constitution, by the way. It is even called a "privilege," not a "right."

This is all covered under the 6th amendment. You have the right to an attorney and anything you day to that attorney is inadmissible in court.

Please highlight where it says that what you say to an attorney is inadmissible in court:

Article [VI] (Amendment 6 - Rights of Accused in Criminal Prosecutions)
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Attorney client privilege is intended to protect the attorney, not the client; otherwise lawyers could be charged with conspiracy or accessory after the fact.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

It’s also my understanding that attorney-client privilege can’t be used when the discussion covered knowingly breaking the law, conspiring to break the law, etc.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

a reply to: RMFX1

Thats the problem no one ever thought Trump to be a saint. Everyone knew he was a playboy hes cheated on former wives. In fact Melania was an affair as well. I dont think anyone voted for Trump because they thought he has morals

Well then what can I say? If Americans are happy to vote for someone that they know is morally bankrupt then I guess they deserve everything that cones with it.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: Pyle

So, Trump paid the electric company, and they gave him electricity. Is that a campaign contribution?
Trump gave paid the bill and even gave some tips at restaurants. Is the food that he then received a campaign contribution?
Trump pays an attorney a retainer fee, and the attorney in exchange works on a contract for a new building for him. Is that a campaign contribution?
Trump pays an attorney a retainer fee, and the attorney settles a frivolous lawsuit with an ambulance chaser to avoid wasting time. Is that a campaign contribution?

How in the world are you figuring that this is a campaign contribution TO Trump? The MSM is spinning this. I have seen nothing to indicate that money was paid TO Trump or TO his campaign on this matter.

Yes, all of those could be campaign contributions. If you read the FEC website you would see that as long as they paid market value for those normal things they are fine. If they took discounts or way overly paid then they may start to fall into in-kind contributions. Also Information itself is considered something of value when it comes to contributions. Which is why the pay off could be considered a campaign contribution. Question is was it the Trump campaign that coordinated those payments or not. If they didnt and it was all the Tabloid Trump and co have nothing to worry about it and it will all fall on the tabloid.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
What state was Trump in when this was recorded?

New York is one party consent..........

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1

Thats the problem no one ever thought Trump to be a saint. Everyone knew he was a playboy hes cheated on former wives. In fact Melania was an affair as well. I dont think anyone voted for Trump because they thought he has morals

Well then what can I say? If Americans are happy to vote for someone that they know is morally bankrupt then I guess they deserve everything that cones with it.

If you vote on religous views instead of politics your a fool. Look at some of thr greatest leaders had affairs for example JFK. Or even Winston Churchill had an affair does that somehow diminish what he accomplished in office?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You're right, we do deserve these lower taxes, booming economy, chance for peace with historically confrontational nations, a blistering job market, secured borders, and unquestioned rights and freedoms. I see where you're going and it's an excellent point.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

If you vote on religous views instead of politics your a fool. Look at some of thr greatest leaders had affairs for example JFK. Or even Winston Churchill had an affair does that somehow diminish what he accomplished in office?

Are you comparing Trump to JFK and Churchill?

Don't make me laugh.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Don't make me laugh.

He's already a better President than JFK or any other President since WW2.
As for Churchill... we'll see if Trump continues on his quite brilliant trajectory.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Don't make me laugh.

He's already a better President than JFK or any other President since WW2.
As for Churchill... we'll see if Trump continues on his quite brilliant trajectory.

Dude, there's no hope for you. You're obviously deluding yourself. I feel sorry for you. I mean that.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

This was theee months ago, do you have an update on this? Or did this just turn out to be another nothingburger?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Well there is a thing about recording someone without their knowledge though. Its against the law UNLESS a COP does it or another agency. Cohen himself is none of the above. This falls under fruit of the poisonous tree.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Well there is a thing about recording someone without their knowledge though. Its against the law UNLESS a COP does it or another agency. Cohen himself is none of the above. This falls under fruit of the poisonous tree.

It actually depends on the state.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Ah oh.

President Trump’s longtime lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, secretly recorded a conversation with Mr. Trump two months before the presidential election in which they discussed payments to a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Mr. Trump, according to lawyers and others familiar with the recording.

The F.B.I. seized the recording this year during a raid on Mr. Cohen’s office. The Justice Department is investigating Mr. Cohen’s involvement in paying women to tamp down embarrassing news stories about Mr. Trump ahead of the 2016 election. Prosecutors want to know whether that violated federal campaign finance laws, and any conversation with Mr. Trump about those payments would be of keen interest to them.

Source

Oh there's more:

Karen McDougal, says she began a nearly yearlong affair with Mr. Trump in 2006, shortly after Mr. Trump’s wife, Melania, gave birth to their son Barron. Ms. McDougal sold her story for $150,000 to The National Enquirer, which was supportive of Mr. Trump, during the final months of the presidential campaign, but the tabloid sat on the story, which kept it from becoming public. The practice, known as “catch and kill,” effectively silenced Ms. McDougal for the remainder of the campaign.

But fake news right? I mean Trump officials absolutely denied thes allegations:

Look what can I say? I mean Bill had that affair with that heavyset intern in the Whitehouse back in the 90's. It's not as if the Republicans went nuts over that back then right? It's not as if Republicans still bring up that affair to that day? So we should just let this go.... sweep it under the rug, wear our MAGA hats ya know? If Melania can tolerate it... why can't we??

This was theee months ago, do you have an update on this? Or did this just turn out to be another nothingburger?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I'm fairly left and I don't care. I didn't care when Bill did it, either, to be honest, and I'd be a hypocrite if I thought it was somehow disqualifying now.

My philosophy is simple: what other consenting adults do for kicks is none of my damn business.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

This is silly. A simple google search would have clued you in on this part.

New York is a "one party consent" state (as are many, many others. That means it's only a crime to record a conversation if neither/none of the parties involved consents.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I'm fairly left and I don't care.

That's fantastic 0zzy. Thank you for coming onto this thread to tell us you don't care.

Appreciated.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

New York is a "one party consent" state (as are many, many others. That means it's only a crime to record a conversation if neither/none of the parties involved consents.

Uh huh..then how come police have to get warrants to do so? IT may not be a crime but it could be labeled entrapment and dismissed. But why? the paymernt was never made to her. and if it was it woul dnot had been done with campaign funds.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I'm fairly left and I don't care. I didn't care when Bill did it, either, to be honest, and I'd be a hypocrite if I thought it was somehow disqualifying now.

My philosophy is simple: what other consenting adults do for kicks is none of my damn business.

I completely agree with you regarding consenting adults: What they do behind closed doors is nobody’s business.

The problem, as I see it, is the dishonesty and the hypocrisy. Clinton lied repeatedly. Trump seems to lie on a daily basis.
The so-called moral majority (fundamentals, evangelicals, etc.) were screaming at the top of their lungs about Clinton’s immoral behavior and how we need a president who promotes family values, blah blah blah.

Fast forward to 2018 and look at how that same crowd acts with Comrade Cheeto.
They completely look the other way because they’re convinced he’s going to push through their agenda.
He’s clearly one of the most morally and ethically bankrupt people on the planet, but they’ll give him a pass if he’ll put an activist wing-nut on the SC to gut Roe v Wade, put gays back in the closet, enable discrimination in the name of religion (aka free speech), etc.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Uh huh..then how come police have to get warrants to do so? IT may not be a crime but it could be labeled entrapment and dismissed. But why? the paymernt was never made to her. and if it was it woul dnot had been done with campaign funds.

Police need warrants because they obviously don’t have the consent of either party.
If I’m living in NY, though, and decide to record a conversation with someone else (also living in NY), I don’t need their permission. It’s considered to be like ‘taking notes.’
edit on 21-7-2018 by Gandalf77 because: Clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join