It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans can legally download 3-D printed guns starting next month

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

until some kids blows their hand off with a faulty one.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   

A few years ago some guy released the blue prints for that, I dont remember the year. Half the Western world anyways, probably has those blue prints.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I do not believe they are non traceable. I believe there is an electronic signature (record) for each print that you don't know about...

leolady

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You'll know 3 people soon.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
This is a great example of something I have been trying to get through to folks for years now. There is no way to get rid of all guns. They're just too simple to make. I am in the process of getting a 3-D printer, so I will have the ability to make a gun. That's not why I am getting a printer, as it would likely be a one-shot wonder; I'm getting a printer to make gear assemblies and project cases. But guess what? I also have a private machine shop. I have been able to make a metal gun for years now. Guess what else? I can use a piece of pipe and a nail to make a gun! Divers call them "bang sticks."

So maybe we should get rid of ammunition? OK, fine... you'll have to ban gunpowder, which means an absolute ban on either carbon, sulfur, or potassium nitrate. I can get carbon out of grass clippings... so you'll have to outlaw plants to do that. I can get sulfur out of a dozen eggs... so that's going to be hard to do. I guess potassium nitrate might be a good choice with that long name, right? OK, now you get to ban fertilizer... and create a famine.

There's only one thing around guns that we can ban that makes sense at all... there will still be some around, but we can get rid of most of them. That one thing is criminals. And in the meantime, if we let non-criminals shoot criminals, that might help too.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Making "the plans" to build something illegal is an interesting concept in itself. What if someone distributed very similar plans for the same "gun" but it had a solid barrel? No bore - so it it isn't a "gun" at all. And includes a note that the typical bore diameter for a x caliber bullet can be easily looked up?

Now the plans are not for a gun but basically anyone can change that.

Again, an interesting concept to make common thinking or innovation illegal. You can't make thinking illegal, although I suppose an oppressive government will never stop trying.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

The part where it says each data set has distinct advantages and flaws. Also if they're using two seperate data pools how do we know they're not counting the same death twice?

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Wait- I've figured it out!

All we need to do is 'ban' 'crime' !
Get it? If we simply ban criminal activity, there won't be any need to worry about guns!

On a serious note, I think this is a very important topic. Don't derail the thread with pro/anti gun screeching, that's not the point.

As long as the oil keeps flowing, 3d printers are real. Anyone with the want to create a weapon will make it. As others have pointed out, it's VERY easy to make a 10/12ga shotgun out of plumbing bits bought at any hardware store.

Ban ammo?
OK, I'm one of those folks who could make a shotgun out of any explosive and a few bits of shrapnel.

ban explosives?
OK, I'm one of those folks who can go online and look up how to make my own.

Ban knowledge?
Oh, wait... that seems to be the goal. I guess I'll just need to think harder, and re-discover things that used to be common knowledge for myself.

ban thinking?
Well, #. Welcome to the future! I seem to recall finding evidence that kids a hundred years ago were learning proper math in grade school. We are not as smart as we used to be. That wasn't a mistake- the same people that took over the world with fiat currency also destroyed education. The ultimate goal for them is to turns us back into primates. Destruction of the world via nukes didn't work out, so instead lets push for massive overpopulation while making sure each generation is less educated.

But why think about the big picture? Let's get upset that people can make things!
I really hope that 3d printing gets so popular that the average person starts to realize their own potential.

You have hands- stop jerking off and start making something.
Make yourself proud.
Build something. Build a 3d printer- buy one and use it to make something you want. Buy some land, build a house. Use your hands to be constructive.
Buy or build a gun and shoot anyone who tries to stop you.
Your species depends on it.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The problem is that printed plastic is nowhere near as strong as the polymer used for making firearms like: Glock, H&K,Sig Sauer, Ruger, Taurus, ect...

If 3d metal printers were more affordable and they made a 3d printer than used weapons grade polymer at a reasonable price I might be tempted. At the moment though a Polymer 80 AR15 or Glock kit would be more financially do-able also easier and it will without countless rounds of use. That said though I already have a Glock 19,don't really need another one unless it is a size or two smaller.(Hope they come out with competition for the Sig P365)

If I had a 3d metal printer I would want to build so guns that have not been designed before.
Such as a revolver that uses a gas piston to cock the hammer after every shot, similar to a Webley Fosbery but with a much less bulky recoil system and one significantly less prone to failure in dirty conditions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join