It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video 13 dead in Branson Duck boat capsizing.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wow 13 dead and 4 missing when a duck boat sank on Table rock lake in Branson MO.

Alot of the victims are children .

Watching the video there is no way in hell they should have been out on that lake..

At least 13 people were killed when a duck boat capsized and sank Thursday night in Missouri, plunging dozens of passengers into a lake near the tourist city of Branson and setting off a frantic search effort that continued Friday.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 20-7-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

My brother lives close to table rock.

I can't believe they went out in that rough of conditions. Big time screw up.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
These Duck boats were never intended to be pleasure boats or for civilian transportation. They were designed to carry troops through areas of difficult terrain and through otherwise impassable areas covered in water. Not through stormy seas ?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yep NO ONE should have been out on that lake.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have actually been on one of these on Table Rock.

Those conditions looked like the bearing sea. For those that dont know Table rock is a huge lake over 90 miles ..
edit on 20-7-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
These Duck boats were never intended to be pleasure boats or for civilian transportation. They were designed to carry troops through areas of difficult terrain and through otherwise impassable areas covered in water. Not through stormy seas ?

Your thinking of Dukw's, the one shown in the video is a purpose-built vessel designed for touristy things, although granted it should never have been out in that weather.

A tragic and perfectly avoidable incident.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
17 Deceased now.

www.foxnews.com...

Tragic. Avoidable.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
17 Deceased now.

www.foxnews.com...

Tragic. Avoidable.

Last 4 bodies they recovered were a father and his 3 kids.. Tragic..

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Given what i know about our weather yesterday, it's possible those conditions took them by surprise. It was going from nothing to hell on earth in a heartbeat with the storms.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: neo96

Given what i know about our weather yesterday, it's possible those conditions took them by surprise. It was going from nothing to hell on earth in a heartbeat with the storms.

My local news said they were expecting the storm but it came early..

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

They were blowing up out of nowhere.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
OMG, terrible, some people think lakes are always calm but not so. Things can get really hairy in a matter of minutes..been there..scary.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

17 Deceased now.

www.foxnews.com...

Tragic. Avoidable.

that means there is a mother somewhere suffering immeasurably in a way I can't relate too, what a disaster, when it began sinking why didn't anyone try and get off of the vehicle?
edit on 20-7-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Latest reported death toll, Seventeen, if I heard it correctly. Some injured, but O.K. and there were 31 people on board, including the two or three crew members. Ride the Ducks in Seattle had to put an extra crew member on board, after that nasty collision on the Bridge a few years ago. Also, a shallow lake, being hit with 65mph wind gusts, is a really bad place for any small boat to be caught out in. Those old G.I. Ducks are neat, but they never had much "freeboard".

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: carpooler
Latest reported death toll, Seventeen, if I heard it correctly. Some injured, but O.K. and there were 31 people on board, including the two or three crew members. Ride the Ducks in Seattle had to put an extra crew member on board, after that nasty collision on the Bridge a few years ago. Also, a shallow lake, being hit with 65mph wind gusts, is a really bad place for any small boat to be caught out in. Those old G.I. Ducks are neat, but they never had much "freeboard".

Lake is actually quite deep. The boat is 80 feet down and on the side of a mountain it gets alot deeper.

46 000 acre lake.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: notsure1

17 Deceased now.

www.foxnews.com...

Tragic. Avoidable.

that means there is a mother somewhere suffering immeasurably in a way I can't relate too, what a disaster, when it began sinking why didn't anyone try and get off of the vehicle?

In those conditions you stay on the boat untill it sinks. and you are trying to save your kids. deaths range from a 1 year old to 70

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I would have gotten off the boat and swam in the direction the wind was blowing.

I've swam in some rough seas before, I'm not saying I think would make it but it sure as hell would have been better than sitting on a sinking boat to me

I've never been on a sinking boat though, rough seas yes, but a sinking boat no

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I live in North Idaho, and we have Lake Pend d' Oreille "Pond o Ray" Lake of the King in French, that has a volcanic caldera's throat, some 1200+ feet deep. But enough of it is shallows, and the winds have been so miserable, that most of the old time boatmen, perished in one windstorm or another. I watched the news clip of the Duck wallowing in the waves, before it sank. Either the wind funneled right into that patch of rough water, or those waves built up in shallow water. But I've never been down to Branson, so it's just my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

It's a reservoir lake.

If the winds hit it right in a gust front, they funneled right long its length and created some big waves, but that would rarely happen because it would have to be perfect conditions.

But I tell you again - these storms were freakish.

My cousin drives an 18-wheeler and though he was going to die yesterday because he got caught in one. Over one hill. everything is sunny and calm; over the next hill, everything is sunny and calm. Just over hill number three and he hits hell. He drives straight into one with no warning. The winds are bad enough is 18-wheeler is airborne with him in it before he knows what's going on.

He got lucky and was set down in such a way that he got control before anything bad occurred, but he had enough time in the air to wonder which ditch would be better to get thrown into.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have friends up that way as well.

I dont think its fair to blame the captain, he lost his life too. From the reports I saw, they had no reason to believe it would all the sudden get that bad.

You cant predict freak micro burst after microburst after microburst like that.

I have been out on my boat many times when I knew we might get a bit of rain or a storm, 9/10 times thats all it is, some rain maybe some lightening, you put the canopy up and take your time getting back to dock.

Here in Texas, you can gel a hellish straightline wind 60+ MPH out of NO WHERE.

Ill never forget i was doing a job in midland , we had what by radar, looked like a little storm rolling in that was moving fast but would pass in and out in no time.

Im in Lowes, and out of no where, we hear debris hitting the glass at the front of the store, and theres so much dust you cant see into the parking lot. There were no tornados, but it hit so hard and fast , it uprooted 100 year old trees, overturned semis, and tore the roof off houses.

edit on 20-7-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join