It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is wage growth so slow

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Every job that can possibly be off-shored , is.
Those folk work for tens of dollars/day. With no labor laws , overtime is not paid for the most part.In some cases the US corps can work them 20 hr/day at that same pay . On the good side ? Tens of USD/day is a fairly good wage in a lot of countries.
Once the person has been there a while they shove em out of the seat and move someone else in.
Or , find another country that is cheaper to exploit.

The same happens to the US employees . The older , higher paid employees are given the old boot , and someone is hired straight out of school and off the streets. Never mind the word "experience" . When it is time for a raise ? Wash , rinse , repeat.
There is your answer to your question.
Anything else I can help you with today ?

You have a stunning level of math illiteracy. A "good wage in a lot of countries" is absolutely meaningless drivel. It doesn't matter what you pay in taxes. It doesn't matter how much you make. WHAT DOES MATTER is the purchasing power of your take home pay.

No, there's nothing you have of value that would be helpful today.

edit on 20-7-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Edumakated

People who do not speak English generally do not work in fast food restaurants in my area. Lots of landscaping work however.

If you want to get rid of illegal workers then just pass some laws and start putting employers in real jail time if they hire someone illegally with payroll taxes not on the books.

I agree. However, you also have to acknowledge that illegals get fake iDs and social security numbers. This is a dirty little secret politicians don't like to mention. We had a local politician get arrested here in Chicago for issuing fake driver's licenses to illegals.

Illegals are basically all we see in fast food restaurants around here and they don't speak english. You have to be fluent in spanish to pretty much work at any restaurant nowadays, even the fancy ones as all the kitchen staff will be speaking spanish.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Something that should be considered is the higher costs of having employees.

Most people only see the numbers on their paycheck but the employer pays loads of expenses that the employees never see.

Insurance costs have went through the roof in the last 7 or 8 years.
Healthcare has nearly doubled.
Liability coverage has went up 50%.
Employers pay those so that effects the bottom line too.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

The last round of tax cuts for the wealthy actually did bring and is bringing money sitting offshore back to the US.

The theory behind the original tax was good, have corporations pay a higher tax rate, a tax on the 1%. The problem was globalization. Large corporations are allowed to hide profits in countries with tax policies favorable to the 1%.

The higher taxes in the US meant the large corporations would actually lose money on any investment in the US as opposed to investments globally. The only way to bring money back to the US was to eliminate the tax. The problem is very convoluted.

To simply. Trillions of dollars were sitting overseas generating no tax revenue or investment in the US. Eliminating the tax is bringing that money back and generating revenue and taxes in the form of payroll tax with the new jobs created through investment.

The global system is broken. Nothing short of an act of God could fix it. So Trump did the only thing he could to bring the money back. From a tax standpoint he had to make it more profitable to do business in the US than overseas or no new business would come to the US.

The problem started with Reagan. Trickle down economics and horrible trade deals caused the problems. It's going to be difficult to get back to anything close to the era before Reagan.

To the OP. The idea behind Unions is something every worker should embrace. However the corruption of modern Unions is something every worker should despise.

Unions became large bureaucratic organizations with political agendas. They have become out of touch with the workers. We need Unions that work only for fair wages without the bloated bureaucracy and political agendas.

edit on 20-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think part of it is you need to ask for the raise you deserve and explain why. I did in my last annual review and received a 12% raise plus a few extra benefits that add up to a few more thousand a year. That doesn’t include the company paying for any certifications I pursue. If you don’t point out your value to the company and accept the minimum, then the minimum is what you will most likely get.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Stevenjames15

please, have you ever been in target or walmart, asked where the socks were, and the chick does not speak english???
how can you get a job without speaking english?????

then the employee has to find a friend who is 'bilingual' or like a few weeks ago, a spanish girl translated for me.

the more illegals here, the more employees, the less the demand.

then, everything is made in china, for slave wages. nike sneakers are like 8 bucks, they sell them here for 220. if you make them in america, they cost 22 bucks, but nike wants that extra 14 bucks per sneaker.

so you have chinese making products for a few bucks a day. THEN you have walmart hiring illegals to sell those products here.

no illegals, minimum wage is 20 bucks an hour or more.
mind you, in 1980, you could be a janitor, work ONE job, and pay rent. now you need to be a janitor AND do 20 more hours at walmart, to pay the same rent.

its a scam cause the internati0nalists want all the money somehow.
i do not understand it, because my life does not revolve around profit and war.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
We flood the market with cheap, illegal labor and it depresses wages overall. This is one of the reasons people are so opposed to illegal invaders.

This and H1 visa.

Wages are not solely about what field or expertise you have, its about competition and the worker pool.

That is why they have manufactured the virtual issue of not having enough minorities and females in the work place. Its not that they give a Sh1t about minorties or women its that they want to add more people to the worker pool to minimize pay.

Its also interesting that those same companies fighting for minorities and women are the same ones paying them less than their male counter parts.

The bigger the worker pool the less they can get away with paying you.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The primary reason wages are down and will stay down is because the elite decided before the Reagan era to consciously keep the Lower middle class depressed.

And they’ve succeeded tremendously. Tax cuts for the rich, bad trade deals, shipping jobs overseas to slave wage countries, massive republican conservative-led union busting, has ruined the future of millions of Americans.

Bottom line, conservative Republican philosophy of love the rich and f___ the poor and near poor has created the biggest wealth gap in the history of humankind here in America.

One day when it all goes bust (it almost did in 2007-8 that’s why Obama was elected twice) there will be a tremendous backlash when the people FINALLY wake up and see what’s happening.

Then the conservative republican LOVE THE RICH and screw the poor philosophy will finally be defeated.

Unfortunately, many people will have to suffer before the country wakes up

IT MAY BE TOO LATE!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Wage growth Depends on where you are, and what you know. Inflation low in most parts of the country too.

Wages were increasing rapidly when I was a kid in Michigan. So was inflation. Those who were unemployed caught hell.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Because demand for workers is low IE the "recovery" is total vs

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

When you look at the real inflation rate, we have probably been pushing 10% a year since 2000. So the costs of things you need, non discretionary products, are probably pretty close to this rate. I sure seems like it to me. Insurance, groceries, basic staples and if the price has remained the same (hahahaha) the packaging has decreased, which is still inflationary.

We are being bled dry and the majority will never have a clue as to why. I mean, creating money out of thin air to the tune of trillions a year can't possibly be bad right? At least those closest to the tap of that unicorn money are making out like bandits while the purchasing power of the almighty dollar is getting crushed.

Oh well, this should be easy to explain to the masses right?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

you can't explain what's going on to people who playing team sport politics, they can't comprehend why the economy is broken.

I tried creating a thread about it but I don't even think people can understand it anymore at this point

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I know sir. The people in the power and in the know are draining us dry, just like vampires. They throw out all of these possibilities to distract us knowing full well what is going on. Then we get call conspiracy theorists for going against main stream academia including the financial analysts. Our ignorance is their greatest strength. Then you have people just parroting what these analysts are saying without even thinking about the cause and effect.

I think illegals do play a minor role in wage suppression, especially since most of the jobs being created today are in that category. The boomers can't retire to free up the good paying jobs since their nest egg is only worth 1/10th of what it was 20 years ago due to inflation.

#E()()#*((@#(*(ing inflation. Just them siphoning off of our labor and productivity.

I hope you keep it up though. You are one of the few that dares look behind the curtain and I for one really appreciate it. There are no EASY answers to this one. The easy answers offered are simply a distraction so they can continue to rape us day in and day out.

Edit to add:
Just wait until state and local municipalities gain the ability to print money out of thin air, we haven't seen anything yet.
edit on 20-7-2018 by ClovenSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I actually believe in states printing competitive currencies

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

That would be interesting. Some type of weight to value each states currency against each other. But I think the vampires would still find a way to exploit it to their advantage. Probably within the first 6 months of creation.

I think the biggest step in securing our future would be to ensure the power of the money we earn today having the same purchasing power 10 years down the road or 20 years down the road. Inflation is not needed. There should be nothing wrong with deflation, at all.

So how would you accomplish that? You would need to ensure the vampires could no longer siphon off of our labor. How would you do that? You make it so the currency never leaves our countries boarders, maybe even state boarders.

When you figure out how to cut off the vampires, then we are looking at real answers. If you realize the scope of what that entails, do you have the fortitude to carry off the plan? f# the globalist, I do at this point and will embrace the pain. If we win this battle, all other battles will be cake.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

There are clear contrary signals of considerable slack in the labor market: most new jobs are temporary jobs, often precarious in nature;

the number of discouraged workers not actively looking for a job is still high;

and wage growth for rank-and-file production and supervisory employees—likely including proportionately many Trump voters—was considerably below the national average, showing no sign of accelerating (as yet)

and, at 2.4%, running barely ahead of the increase in consumer prices (of 2.1%).

In addition, a bigger proportion of production and non-supervisory wages are being paid in the form of bonuses, allowing firms to stay flexible and nimble.

“I don’t believe we’ll see a long-term increase in real wage growth,” Ken Abosch, a partner at Aon Hewitt, the human resources consulting firm, said in the New York Times (February 10, 2018).

The reasons for sluggish wage growth for the majority of U.S. employees are debated and argued to include declining unionization, the increasingly dual nature of U.S. employment, reluctant minimum-wage increases, globalization (greater import competition), and the slowdown of productivity growth (Storm 2017). But the problem is not just American.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Liberals cannot argue for unfettered immigration and then in the same breath also complain about low wages.... well liberals do, but we know logic isn't the strong point of the left.

And simplistic answers show a lack of understanding a complex system.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Open_Minded Skeptic

Trickle-down depends on the people with money having some degree of social consciousness, such that they really do invest in new things, make money and share the profit appropriately with the people who actually do the work.

The real irony is that trickle-down COULD work, if the tricklers had any decency. They don't, so it doesn't. And we are seeing the result of the stupidity and insanity of the GOP to keep trying harder at a proven failed approach. Of course, the GOP in its current form doesn't consider the approach to have failed, because the already-rich are getting richer at the expense of everybody else. Since that is the goal, they consider it a success.

I disagree - Trickle-down can never work because the incentives do not encourage good-will or social consciousness. Never have, not designed to, and not going to now.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Every job that can possibly be off-shored , is.
Those folk work for tens of dollars/day. With no labor laws , overtime is not paid for the most part.In some cases the US corps can work them 20 hr/day at that same pay . On the good side ? Tens of USD/day is a fairly good wage in a lot of countries.
Once the person has been there a while they shove em out of the seat and move someone else in.
Or , find another country that is cheaper to exploit.

The same happens to the US employees . The older , higher paid employees are given the old boot , and someone is hired straight out of school and off the streets. Never mind the word "experience" . When it is time for a raise ? Wash , rinse , repeat.
There is your answer to your question.
Anything else I can help you with today ?

Outsourcing does contribute to stagnant wages but is not the sole cause.

BTW - wasn't somebody "important" going to do "something wonderful" about outsourcing...... hmmmm

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: Edumakated

People who do not speak English generally do not work in fast food restaurants in my area. Lots of landscaping work however.

If you want to get rid of illegal workers then just pass some laws and start putting employers in real jail time if they hire someone illegally with payroll taxes not on the books.

Now that's a solution - make it illegal to hire/use non-papered individuals. And I do believe it is on the books - but never enforced.

See incentives - under Capitalism it's 'cost-effective' to hire 'illegals' because 'they' are breaking the law not the business who did the hiring. Typical 'othering' - cost of doing business.

<< 1    3 >>

join