It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush trip to the EU; Good, Bad or Ugly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Will the visit by President George W Bush help to rebuild the damaged relationship between the US and Europe?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Bush wont try and restablish connections until france says its wrong about iraq.
He is probably here to see about the tradeing with china thing.
Dont worry, with hardliners like france there , he wont push anyone around.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
yes will have to agree with Devilwasp , he want to build some kind of a dialogue on the Iran issue and stop the export of weapons to China. but France will stick with their guns as well as Bush. No one wana loose face over Iraq.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes, pretty intersting outcome of this, EU does not like the war on terror and will not be more involved in "the war on terror".
The political distance between US and EU will be even greater after these days.

typo

[edit on 21-2-2005 by DrKollapse]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If he thinks the only difference between Europe and the US is disagreement over the Iraq war, he's mistaken. Europe and the US are drifting further apart culturally.

Here's a BBC article that illustrates the difference between the US and their "closest" allies the UK:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Heh, if there's anything that can bring us closer together it's Desparate Housewives, not Bush...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrKollapse
Yes, pretty intersting outcome of this, EU does not like the war on terror and will not be more involved in "the war on terror".
The political distance between US and EU will be even greater after these days.

typo

[edit on 21-2-2005 by DrKollapse]

Things can change if Bush Goes and the Neo-con agenda is changed.

[edit on 21-2-2005 by JADESTONE]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
If he thinks the only difference between Europe and the US is disagreement over the Iraq war, he's mistaken. Europe and the US are drifting further apart culturally.

Here's a BBC article that illustrates the difference between the US and their "closest" allies the UK:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Heh, if there's anything that can bring us closer together it's Desparate Housewives, not Bush...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Thats amazing it came from BBC. I don't know about Britain but America is heading opposite direction from France. In France the majority of the population has no connection with the church and the only time they go there is when they get married.

Just the opposite is happening in America ,people are getting God fearing and conservative. Save the cities and some counties.

link   

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

sorry computer hanged....

link   

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

sorry computer hanged

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Bush's main visit is with Chirac to show him the evidence of his possibly but his peoples (definitely) direct involvement with the oil for food scandal. GW will start pulling the old turds strings. At the same time Chirac will say how he would not let the arrogant Bush dictate anything. All Chiracs supporters will praise his willingness to stand up to American aggression. Over time you will see France change positions if the evidence is out there like I know it is.

You read it here first.

Bookmark it and rub my arrogant face in it if I prove wrong.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
with hardliners like france there , he wont push anyone around

Ah shi^, I peed me pants!

and split me beer.....

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JADESTONE

Thats amazing it came from BBC. I don't know about Britain but America is heading opposite direction from France. In France the majority of the population has no connection with the church and the only time they go there is when they get married.

Just the opposite is happening in America ,people are getting God fearing and conservative. Save the cities and some counties.

Yeah if you think France is non-religous and secular, you should take a look at the Czech Republic. They make France look like....America. 40 percent of the population identify as Athiest.

www.cia.gov...

Many if not all European countries are like this. That's one difference between them and the US that nothing will change, especially a visit by Bush.

My personal opinion-> If I were Europe I wouldn't be intersted in becoming closer to the US. They're so far ahead of us cuturally, it would be like 21st century people admiring the culture of the dark ages.

Case and point:

observer.guardian.co.uk...

www.kunstler.com...
www.kunstler.com...
www.kunstler.com...

Flame away.....

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I guess this is a bit like turning one of those vast ocean going oil tankers.

The UK news has been full of how Condoleeza Rice recently went to great lengths to try and charm and smile her way around Europe recently, preparing the ground for her boss.
Now Bush is doing the same in an effort to repair the damage his 1st term signals have done.

Maybe US news is reporting it differently but to us it appears Bush & Co. have decided that maybe the damage done to relations did actually matter abd that perhaps they could do with (old) Europe's help afterall.

I guess it's going to take a while for their 'troops' to get their heads around the 'new politic'.

......and it'll be more than a little while until the European public believe he is genuine and warm to the idea too.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Ah shi^, I peed me pants!

and split me beer.....

Exsactly what "muscle" is the US going to flex ed?
The US isnt pushing france around, just because they havent been by your side in many wars doesnt mean they are merde.

top topics

join