It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is Your Favourite Philosopher and Why?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CanadianMason

Nietzsche - and his nod to Diogenes via the story of the madman. Amor fati!
Michel Foucault - I find his take on madness interesting
Lao Tzu - if I name what I like about the Tao then it isn't the Tao
The Dude from Big Lebowski - Dudeism rocks
Ok that's more than one and if i don't stop there then the list will only get longer.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CanadianMason
This is a forum dedicated to philosophy. I'd like to revive it.

Who is your favourite philosopher?

Why?

Who is your favourite philosopher?
Why?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CanadianMason
One must first exist in order to doubt his own existence.

Yes....but what exactly do you exist as?
Have you looked for what you are?
Do you know what you are?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

You missed the whole point. You absolutely can be wrong in philosophy, that is the point. There is objective reality. That reality being the you experience existence. The question then becomes is there an existential reality. If you can't acknowledge that existential reality cannot be verified while experiencial reality is self evident, there is no moving forward. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is the only knowable truth with certainty, every other philosophical truth is a matter of opinion, that truth is not a matter of opinion.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
George Carlin

You stole my answer. LOL

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: Gothmog
George Carlin

You stole my answer. LOL

Had it for a while...see my sig

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I like Sheldon cooper ... oops not a philo. So I settle for immanuel kant as I'm strongly influenced by his work about living forces.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

I'm not missing anything you are just being a dick, I was agreeing with what you had to say yet you reply with some bs response full of mental gymnastics to try and make yourself look smart.

This isn't a matter of opinion, it is the only knowable truth with certainty, every other philosophical truth is a matter of opinion, that truth is not a matter of opinion.
Like you're trying to say that your philosophy is truth and everything else is opinion.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Maybe, but somehow I manage.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
To be serious for a moment.

Alan Watts, he made me happy. Livin the dream!!

edit on 20-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I don't think that the work of well-known philosophers have added any value to people's lives. Be it Kant, Decartes , Shopenhauer or anyone else, it all seems totally irrelevant to me.

Yet, my quest is to discover the mysteries of the universe. To do so I steer well clear of philosophy in order to avoid landing in the realm of boundless confusion and contraditions concocted by some philosophers.

Having said that , I am keen to hear the personal philosophy of people ; how they resolve problems; how they can think outside the box; how they can bend the ether to change their environment.

Hence the Philosophy forum for me is just a place where I can find out how ATS visitors philosophise about the meaning of life and the universe for themselves rather than reading about philosophy in the academic sense.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The quietest one with the least to say, no books written and sold and completely ignored by everyone. The one with the least amount of influence on human thinking (historically or current). And rather no diplomas in philosophy. The most humble one, who doesn't even like being seen as a philosopher or enlightened or having great intellectual insights. The one who craves no attention whatsoever and who doesn't make a living out of beguiling speech and/or stroking egos (for example giving the ones that are listening to them or reading their stuff a false impression that it makes them smarter, more openminded, insightful, enlightened, educated, knowledgeable, etc.).

I don't think anyone exists or has existed like that that could still be appropiately referred to as a philospher though, and if someone like that existed, it would probably be hard for anyone to know them.

So for a shorter answer: I have no favorite philosopher. I'm not too impressed by blah-blah, fancily dressed up or otherwise.

Allthough I find that this philosopher going by the name W.L. Craig adequately responds to the philosopher in this video that lies about not being a philosopher (he prefers being seen as a "scientist"); not that he's responding to that particular falsehood/lie:

Psychology: Dawkins&Krauss selling the philosophy and contradiction that nothing is something
edit on 28-8-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Hey CanadianMason who is your favourite philosopher and why?

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I cant tell if they are philosopher or metaphysician sometimes so i am not sure. Maybe Nietzche. it just feels so pathetic his lifetime, the things he had to live. I cant help but feel sympathy.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
There is only one truth.

There is no truth.

Perception defines your existence.

Get that and you understand the world you live in.

Oh I dunno ... I always thought Conan had a way with words. simple and direct to the point.. youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Many of the greats have been brought up, I don't think the thread would be complete without bringing up Marcus Aurelius.

He's one of my favourites because his Meditations is classic. I found his insights very accessible over the years, in comparison to some of the more mind bending thoughts of other philosophers.

The idealist in me keeps this quote close to heart...

A noble man compares and estimates himself by an idea which is higher than himself; and a mean man, by one lower than himself. The one produces aspiration; the other ambition, which is the way in which a vulgar man aspires.
-Marcus Aurelius

It has helped remind me and remain focused on doing what I need to do rather then becoming distracted by others.(Gossip for example)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Samuel Clemens on good days. Ambrose Bierce when I'm feeling skeptical.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
There is only one truth.

There is no truth.

Perception defines your existence.

Get that and you understand the world you live in.

If perception define's one's existence then nearly everyone lives in a false reality.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   
In the words of a great Vietnamese philosopher...

One of the greatest yet only known by some who served in Vietnam was a Vietnamese philosopher who's words ring true even to this day. He was famous for saying "You F*cked now" but usually left the "ed" off which was to hard for him to say .. I still quote him on occasion during a golf game where my opponent is about to lose due to a wayward shot. Simple and direct what more can one ask for..?

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

you all sound like a bunchy whiny Kants ... i'm like the Darth Maul of philosophy

edit on 9-4-2019 by EraTera2 because: gmr

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join