It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuff the USA media will not show!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

That would be Science and technology.

Suppose it depends on what one considers to be backward, ethically and empathically we are still in the same predicament we have always been.

Our basic paradigm has not changed much throughout recorded history really.
edit on 24-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Exactly, we are moving technology along but we are being incredibly irresponsible with it, that's not moving forward.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yes, still burning fossil fuels and using nuclear energy, because more money can be made in the short term from finite commodity trading, than can be made from providing a service which does not harm the environment and the people living in it. Thats capitalism for you, anything for a buck, despite the fact that when every patch of grass from coast to coast is a tinderbox, that buck is not going to save lives, it will just burn along with everything else.

But of course, that is just the game, and we are not allowed to take the players off the field, despite the fact that unless SOMEONE does, the whole world is going to go to hell without any of the people most effected by it, being in any position to prevent it, despite the fact that the power players KNOW they are killing the world slowly, and just refuse to stop because it will make them slightly less fantastically wealthy.

Meanwhile, folk either burn from wildfires, or drown via sea level rise, or get sick because of fumes from industrial processes and the burning of fuel.

There are ways to prevent all these, but hey, capitalism is a craven god, which requires sacrifice, and people seem willing enough to lay on the altar.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

But are we moving technology along, or is it now moving us along with it?

Fact is its a fine line as to whos waging the tail these days.

Consider this through, it generally stands that if Man can do a thing, then he will do that thing.

We simply do not invent tools that we do not use.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

We are moving technology along, technology is not aware of it's existence.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The Pittsburgh Pirates winning the World Series in the next 50 years.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Not self-aware, yet, that we know about anyway, but technology has a certain momentum. Take Moore's law for instance or consider what we can do with our smartphones that we could not before they became so prevalent?

The first serious leap to augmenting the human mind if you think about it, considering just about everyone is carrying around what amounts to a supercomputer in their pocket and using the thing profusely in everyday life.

edit on 25-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

We can not give technology a soul or make it self aware, we can make it act like its self aware and answer questions it knows how to answer and make it human like, but in all honesty I dont believe we will ever be able to give technology a soul, its not our place. And again, NO, we are advancing technology, not itself, not primates or dolphins or little mice, humans are moving technology along, who goes to school, writes codes, designes and engineers, all human... Why are we having this conversation again?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

If we can design an intelligence to mimic self-awareness whats the difference?

There is no difference.

Fact is you cannot prove that we even have a soul/essence or that you are even self-aware. Consciousness, where it resides and/or emerges from, requires further understanding.

Dolphins don't have opposable thumbs that would allow them to manipulate their environment and mice simply don't have the brain capacity to design nor build complex tools.

edit on 26-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

NO WAAAAAY, Dolphins dont have thumbs??? That's Gnarly, I thought mice were smarter then us because "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" N s*hit...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

It's not just an apposable appendage that somewhat retards a Dolphins ability to create or use complex tools but also their environment, considering water and fire don't exactly mix.

Mice and rats are pretty darn smart and excel at learning and understanding concepts, considerably smaller than dogs.

What is amazing though, is that according to research, Rat brains are similar in structure and function to the human brain. Obviously nowhere near as complex but the similarities are abundant.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You and TruBrittany are an odd couple. You have a hard time knowing the difference between sarcasm and being literal dont you? Its ok (pats you on the back and walks away)
edit on 26-7-2018 by xBWOMPx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

No, your sarcasm is apparent, just not worth entertaining. LoL

To be honest its the place most people retreat to when they lack the ability to comprehend.

Each to there own i suppose.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

No, your sarcasm is apparent, just not worth entertaining. LoL

To be honest its the place most people retreat to when they lack the ability to comprehend.

Each to there own i suppose.

So, thats why you retreat here? What do you not comprehend?

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Quite a bit i dont comprehend, you for instance. x

I like ATS, it is indeed a form of retreat, but for rather different reasons other than sarcasm.

Fact is if you stop bumping your gums and actually pay attention around these here parts, sometimes you learn something.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

"I don't personally see right through the MSM because I don't watch it."

Great answer! Wash, rinse, then repeat are the worst instructions, when it comes to brainwashing. Anymore, I don't know the names of most "celebrities" dropped, who the hell some talking head involved in the latest tempest in a teapot even is, etc. I don't fret over anything I can do absolutely nothing about. Having dropped-out of it years ago, out of sight, out of mind, I discovered something most remarkable: we're like computers, garbage in, garbage out. An exquisite sense of sanity, peace of mind and purpose, a clarity results when you're no longer paying any attention to the parade of fools, trying to tell you what life is and how to live, telling you what's important, what you need to stuff in your mouth or in your garage. And, after all, it's quite true, "Can the blind lead the blind? Shall they not both fall into the ditch?" What is human history even, in the main? Falling in the ditch.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Quite a bit i dont comprehend, you for instance. x

I like ATS, it is indeed a form of retreat, but for rather different reasons other than sarcasm.

Fact is if you stop bumping your gums and actually pay attention around these here parts, sometimes you learn something.

Lol, and your not bumping your gums? Everyone has there own perception, views, opinions, and you know what, thats ok. But calling someone delusional because they do not see eye to eye with you is pretty arrogant, you wont simply leave because like trubrittany you feel you have something to prove to me and it irks you i dont have your views, i can see that. But the difference between you and i is, i dont give one piece of s*hit if you agree with me or not, but you do, its obviouse as much as you constantly keep coming back to prove a point, but like i said, idc. Its simple

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well i did tell you about opinions a few pages back, did i not?

I simply won't leave because i choose not to. x

What point is it you imagine i am trying to prove?

The difference little bit, is opinion, and the proof.....well that's in your own pudding.

Whats obvious is your distinct lack of manners.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well i did tell you about opinions a few pages back, did i not?

I simply won't leave because i choose not to. x

What point is it you imagine i am trying to prove?

The difference little bit, is opinion, and the proof.....well that's in your own pudding.

Whats obvious is your distinct lack of manners.

Oh, did i pierce your safe bubble? Pffft lol Dont worry about my manners. Go ahead, have the last words, this conversation is going nowhere fast. Good luck and good day.
edit on 26-7-2018 by xBWOMPx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Ahh son, dont be worrying about my sensibilities my bubble burst quite some time ago. LoL

As to manners, well they do maketh the Man yet cost nothing, something worth considering?

Or not as the case may be, but that's your own lookout. x

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join