It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The feeling of starvation diet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Ironic isnt it that in the olde days the suckers were drawn into the Libraries to lap up the bastardised data the Publishers chose to feed to them.I guess suckers back then didn't like facts either and were in the Libraries to read stories.....lol.

In the good olde days suckers were drawn in by the robot-voiced schiester videos just like today.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tompdx3

I don't get fad diets. You're not that overweight, there's no need for a fad diet. You may drop weight real fast, but the second you go off of what I almost guarantee you is unsustainable you will gain back the weight.

Figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - or what you need to survive and stay the same) then cut off 500 calories a day. You won't lose weight as fast, which is actually a GOOD thing unless you're morbidly obese.

There are a host of health problems that can happen when you drop weight too fast.

Intermittent fasting is absolutely fine, but at the end of the day it's just another trick for CICO (calories in calories out). This is the only way you lose weight. You burn more calories than you consume. For some people it's easier to not eat for a specific period of time during the day, then fill up for one meal. They eat the same amount, but being able to ignore hunger until dinner and then filling up means they eat the correct amount.

I remember reading about someone that was extremely obese not eating for a very long time and losing a ton of weight, but he was under close doctor supervision and frankly that sounds abysmal.

There's a school of thought that says eating many small meals throughout the day is the best way to drop weight too. If that's what works for you, great! It's still just a trick. It's always CICO. It's just physics.

This type of eating is actually curing people of many medical issues.

Not this kind of eating, unless you're saying this works (and I almost guarantee those results aren't sustainable) because the person lost weight.

If you don't eat enough protein on a cut you're going to lose muscle mass along with the fat. Screw that. Eat whatever time or times feel right. Just aim for 500 calories below your TDEE.

If you are a normal human being (and not obese) without some hormone imbalance you should be able to lose x amount a week and plan it entirely from what you eat daily. It will fluctuate up to 5 pounds depending on sodium intake and other stuff, but it's pretty much guaranteed cutting out 3500 calories a week means one pound lost.

Google TDEE calculator, plug in your stats, subtract 500, eat enough protein and do some mild exercise. You will drop at least 1 pound of fat a week (will probably drop way more at first in water weight). Reduce the calories or up the exercise to drop more. Don't exceed 2 lbs. a week on purpose. If you get more active you might find you're one of those people that drops a lot.

TL;DR Fad diets promise more than they deliver, often at the expense of muscle and health. It's pretty much completely established the best way to lose weight is in the kitchen and eating at a comfortable/sustainable deficit from TDEE.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Dr. Mosley wanted to rid himself of weight and improve his health so looked into fasting.............he documented his different ways of fasting and made a program showing his discoveries. I saw the BBC Horizon program not so long ago on the tv but I cannot find the full edition but here is a short clip which shows that fasting improves brain function in rats.

Edit: Here is a link for the complete BBC Horizon program 'Eat, Fast, Live Longer'. www.dailymotion.com...

Michael Mosley has set himself a truly ambitious goal: he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight in the bargain. And he wants to make as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He discovers the powerful new science behind the ancient idea of fasting, and he thinks he's found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. Michael tests out the science of fasting on himself - with life-changing results.

edit on 21-7-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Domo, I appreciate the thoughtful post and I'm assuming it was directed toward me, so I'll respond that way.

wall of text about my recent experiences with this diet:
Thankfully I'm experienced with doing exactly what I'm doing right now, with this current diet, which is actually working out great right now.

The only caveat is that I haven't really made a point of doing this SINCE my wrestling days, two decades ago lol. But the fact remains that I'm experienced with this, and in making it work out OK (albeit with a 20-year gap since I've done it).

Back then my cousin used to tell me how to do this kind of dieting, which is just simply a low-carb and high-protein diet.

Before you guys tell me how unhealthy it is (lol), this diet can be perfectly healthy if the protein we're consuming is vegan (which is what I'm doing).

So today I've only eaten once (not really on purpose but I don't tend to get hungry during the day, typically), and it was just some good tofu with a nice salad. Very low-carb, while vegan and perfectly healthy. I always drink a lot of fluids, in general, and so I've been having ice water with my tofu and salad. This is just a salad bar at the grocery store lol so it's relatively cheap and there's a huge number of items.

While this is essentially the same diet as the so-called "Atkin's diet" and a bunch of other diets:

The difference is that THOSE diets are typically unhealthy because people usually focus on eating meat, and very little else.

(I'm a huge believer in the unhealthiness of eating meat, and the healthiness of veganism. I've been mostly vegan for nearly half my life, since 18 or 19, and I'm 36.)

I've actually never had to really focus on losing weight because I've stayed naturally lean for the most part, and I became vegan very soon after my wrestling days (like within a year or two). Veganism has kept me naturally trim and I've often been doing some kind of physical activity in my life.

Anyway lately I just DID have to lose weight because something went wrong and my waist was all f*cked up. You might not think so from my weight and description, but it's true, my waist suddenly became swollen and curvy and womanly. It honestly freaked me out. I would feel my fat fold up on my sides, if I curved my body to either side.

My waist actually still looks busted lol but getting better.

But good news is that I've been biking and cutting lawns. I actually just bought back my old beloved bicycle that was stolen from me at gunpoint 3 or 4 years ago, and it feels like a dream. I'm real excited about my old bike lol.

Between cutting lawns and biking, my muscles are currently pumped up, and somewhat stretched out from getting my body used to my old bike again. So without feeling sore, my muscles are jacked, and my face and body has gone through a noticeable slimming down. My face is having now angles emerge from my cheeks and it's awesome.

So anyway, since I did this for a few years in my past, I wasn't worried about repeating the same diet that I did for years back then. I think my body might have been going through some kind of toxic shock when I started the thread (from toxins being released from my fasting) but today I am finally feeling great, while keeping the diet going.

Yesterday was extreme heat and drought conditions and I was outside cutting lawns all day, so at some point it became clear that I just needed some more nutrition and carb intake. It was too distracting to feel light headed and try to cut lawns in the sun all day. I was sweating buckets and I started out drinking water, but eventually started putting salt in (since sweating makes us lose salt), later got some spicy-hot V8 in one of those huge bottles, so I was chugging that all day, alongside water and coffee. Later I just had to get some sugary iced tea (with lemon in it) and it was still a relatively small amount of carbs, but I felt I needed it, and it felt great. (That was most of the way through the day.)

Today I hopped on my bike briefly but enough to cruise around and to feel my muscles stretched out, while also jacked. My old stolen bike feels like a dream gliding over the hills of our city (which is very hilly, especially for a city).

Today, like I said, I only ate tofu and salad, it was great. Drinking coffee, water, and currently a giant bottle of pre-made Jasmine green tea, unsweetened.

Between the buzz from the jasmine tea, the nutrition and protein of lunch, and the bike ride, I'm feeling great and really excited about it.

Yesterday ALSO had the freak occurance of extremely dry dust and dirt being kicked up by the lawnmower, so I was in clouds of dust and dirt pretty often yesterday lol. I hadn't worried about it, and this is not something that ever happens here, but by night my asthma was jacked up for the first time in maybe 6 yrs. Not a health concern but there was absolutely no way to even try to sleep, my breath capacity was only like 1/3 normal. All filled up and irritated with dry dust and dirt.

Sometime probably around 5 or 6 am, I felt relaxed enough to try sleeping for a few hours. Horizontal must have helped my body kick out the congestion, as I woke up ready to cough out a ton of it (breath capacity increasing the more I could get out).

Today all day I was around maybe 2/3 capacity of breathing, so it was enough to be slightly annoying all day lol. Felt good enough to take the bike for a spin and afterwards I've been feeling quite good.

Took some hot shower time for the hot vapor to also help clean my body cough out the congestion and dirt lol.

Capacity maybe 90% but my lungs are still swore / slightly irritated. Thankfully most congestion is out of my body at this point. Exciting for more hot shower and biking soon, to help the process some more (and to enjoy my old stolen bike some more).

The lawn mower and weed wacker even have my forearms and hands feeling stretched out (from the weight of the weedwacker), while also getting jacked up, so my hands feel HUGE with skinny, pumped-up arms lol.

Well that's the scoop for now, with my current situation, I hope someone gets something out of reading it.

TLDR:

Vegan version of low-carb, high-protein diet is the HEALTHY way to do it.

It's slimming me down, without feeling hungry right now, making my face more handsome, and shrinking the fat off my body.

Regained my old favorite bike that was mugged from me 3 or 4 yrs ago, rides beautifully, so having fun while getting good exercise and stretching of my muscles, just from biking and cutting lawns yesterday.

Felt a bit uncomfortable for a couple days but currently feeling like a beast.

Also I don't have to worry about bouncing back to a higher weight. Tofu is practically my favorite food, so I can happily focus on just eating this and salad. I think I will do that, just to make sure this works and my weight loss stays.

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Thanks! Yeah I didn't even mention that although I was feeling weak and disoriented for a few days, probably from body cleansing out toxins:

Eventually I could feel MORE energy, as if I could literally feel my body slipping into the state of burning off its own fat. My body felt full of energy. And obviously the physical exercise helped everything along.

Since this is the first time I've done this in 20 yrs, that's probably one huge reason I feel so great doing this again.

Just keep it vegan and the low-carb, high-protein diet rocks!

posted on Jul, 21 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So yeah I'm a huge believer in this as healthy. Intermittent fasting / slight starving.

Our ancestors lived with intermittent fasting / starving without a choice, for millions / billions of yrs.

It's part of the human experience. And we are usually missing out on this fundamental human experience.

Also I'll be honest that I was mentally feeling a bit hazy for a few days there, but feeling increasingly sharper now. It's gotta be those toxins that my body is releasing and cleansing itself of.

Bought some loose-leaf black tea (I was out for a few days) and so I'm going to enjoy some good black tea soon. I'm seriously hoping that I keep feeling this good and more energetic.

Over the years I often don't have enough energy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join