It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-Grown Meat Could Soon Disrupt Factory Farming as We Know It

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

"Lab-Grown" might just be a cover story. Don't forget Soylent Green is people!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumin

Surprise Surprise, a big pharma involved in this venture. Eat our lab grown meat, then you'll have to take our pills.

I'll pass on both!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Couldnt be mush worse than all the factory birds & burgers we all eat.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Memphis Meats, a California-based lab-grown meat company, has received funding from Bill Gates, Richard Branson, and Cargill, an international agriculture company.

Cargill is a huge company.

Mosa has previously received funding from Google’s Sergey Brin and has also obtained funding from smaller sources.

Support at your own risk.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
It will have to be sold with a drug that stops the gag reflex.... I would never eat it. And you can be sure Micky D's, BK, Wendys, Taco Bell, Arby's, Carl's and a host of others would be purveyors of this Frankenstein goo.

You know ... people who raised such a stink over pink slime will likely hail this as the new "in" thing even though it likely won't be any different texturally or compositionally.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Pink slime was my first thought here.

Your right. It most likely won't be any different.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The sooner the better. No reason not to

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
How are they going to lab culture the fat with the meat though. From what i have read, only the meat will be produced. Can't see it tasting all that good without the fat to add that beefy flavour we expect from a nicely marbled steak or a burger made with 80/20.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: discordantone

It'll all just taste like chicken.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: neo96

What about squeeze tube steaks?

I was born with one of those.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Does this mean I'll finally get to taste what penguins and baby seals taste like? They can copy any cut of meat right?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
For some reason when I read the OP, I was reminded of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the cow that wants to be eaten.

It's a little strange to think about growing our meats like we do our vegetables. But, on the upside, we can now experience new meat flavors that we would never had considered before. Imagine tasting a large synthetically grown Mastodon steak with a side order of Trilobites.

-dex

edit on 7/19/2018 by DexterRiley because: formatting

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
as long as it is exactly like normal meat, but without hormones, antibiotics and suffering of a living creature, why not?

has to be tested in long term though. not like the GMOs "here is something new. we don't know what long term effects will be, but eat it! mewhaha!".

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Illumin

Good if it is done right but very bad if it is done wrong, meat without the danger of parasites, growth hormone's and animal inoculations, free from disease and also of course therefore free from what caused the disease in the animal in the first place - IF we can trust them not to taint the product that is.

Bad for livestock farmers that can't keep up with the time's due to a loss in interest in there product if the grown meat can under cut there price and ethical considerations on the part of the consumer play a big enough part.

Good for the individual animal which is currently living only to be killed, no freedom and no right to life.

Bad for the animal species and breed's which currently have a symbiotic relationship with the human race - even if that relationship is more one way and actually often cruel to the animal's since these breed's will not survive without human husbandry and this would in turn lead to the extinction of many domesticated animal's as a result since once they are not bred for food and can not survive without human husbandry then?.

Good and Bad.
I feel on the whole more Good since it is the human health that should take priority and this has the potential to not only provide ethical sources of nourishment but far healthier sources than coming form the animal kingdom in which parasites and diseases predominate the bio-system.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: Slinki
Kinda makes my stomach turn...
But, who knows? May be the next best thing since...er...um, spam.

If you're ok with chicken nuggets, you'll like this one too.

chicken nugettttsssss.... I'm like Homer with a donut!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Does this mean I'll finally get to taste what penguins and baby seals taste like? They can copy any cut of meat right?

I'm aspiring to sample substances just a little higher on the food chain.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join