It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FINally! Real solutions for stinky work clothes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Okay, forgive me for not wrangling a conspiratorial angle to this thread. My aim is to help others who are in the same boat as me. *WARNING* If you are offended by awkward terms like "body soil" then it's best you just move right on along and avoid this thread. This thread is about sweaty bastards like me (or whatever the gender applicable analogue is) who wash their workout/work clothes and the clothes smell funky shortly after wearing them.

I work in construction. I have always been a sweaty bastard (my Mom knows what I mean by this, so don't give me grief about that, please). It doesn't seem to matter which fabrics I wear. In the past, I've let my work/workout clothes dry on a hanger, then wash them, using fabric softener, and dry them in the great outdoors on a clothesline inna hot, hot sun and breeze. They smell good and flow'ry when I take them down from the line.

Shortly after putting on tee shirts, they begin to take on a fun'kay smell. It's embarrasing. Selah. I've searched on the internet and tried all kinds of different fabrics, different chemicals as augments to the washing soap, different washing powders and liquids..

The solution was so simple:

I use one cup of baking soda along with the washing liquid, and I skip the fabric softener. I read -- and believe it is true -- the fabric softeners flood the fabric, making it feel soft and pluffy, but in the process also seal whatever is on the fabric in.

Well, that's it. If you have or do suffer from this very strange problem, try it. It's been working for me for a month now. Vinegar didn't work, ditto ammonia, bleach, etc. etc. I read that oxy has a new stink-out, but I don't expect that will hit the Caribbean for several years. For those of you troubled with this odd problem.......... you're welcome, and sorry this thread wasn't something more amazing or edgy.

Go forth, and stink no more.

p.s. ............. body soil
edit on 18/7/18 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Borax works better and vinegar is also good but don't mix the two.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Recently retired from Firefighting and Nursing. Clothes would reek of BO and Jet Fuel.
Wish I'd tried this sooner.

For now I'll irrigate often..

Edit: the dept. provided industrial washers and dryers.. so that help.

edit on 18-7-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Edit to add: I'm not even half-serious about this, in case you somehow don't know I'm joking. This can kill you. Don't do it. OK?

Sure you tried bleach.

Sure you tried ammonia.

But did you harness the supernatural cleansing powers of ammonia+bleach?

edit on 7/18/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Sure you tried bleach.

Sure you tried ammonia.

But did you harness the supernatural cleansing powers of ammonia+bleach?

Trying to kill someone

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Certainly not.

Isn't it common knowledge?

I'll edit.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Skipping the fabric softener is the smartest idea.

If you don't wear white t-shirts, you might consider going back to them. And using traditional bleach. The smell of bleach is one we associate with cleanliness. And bleached clothing takes a long time to take on other odors.

I'd also recommend showering before and after sleeping. And skipping deodorant every few days. It's probably essential for someone like you. But used every day, it can block your sweat glands, and make the smell worse.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Yeah, um.......... you don't want to do that. Chloramine gas is not a healthy thing. I don't doubt at all that it would clean the livin' crap outa things, but the risk is a bit iffy. Your clothes should not kill you. ;o)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

That's very good advice
I really can't wear white, because of the simple fact that I'm a dirt magnet. I have always been so, and whatever dirt or soil is within ten feel of me will mysteriously fling itself upon me.

Skipping deodorant is a good idea. Antiperspirants........... fahgettabou'it. Don't want to block up the flow.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

That was good of you.
It's common knowledge to me, but I had a degree in Chem once upon a time when I was young and more full of wonder.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I will give borax a try. I have quite a bit of it on hand. Thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: Moresby

That's very good advice
I really can't wear white, because of the simple fact that I'm a dirt magnet. I have always been so, and whatever dirt or soil is within ten feel of me will mysteriously fling itself upon me.

Skipping deodorant is a good idea. Antiperspirants........... fahgettabou'it. Don't want to block up the flow.

Maybe your could try whites under color. Weather permitting.

But it sounds like you have the big problem solved.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I was going to be like "But but but I put the
button at the bottom!"

Truth is, from one sweaty bastard to another, I don't want anyone to die.
edit on 7/18/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: Bigburgh

Certainly not.

Isn't it common knowledge?

I'll edit.

Hehehe😁

It is also a reminder that the mixing of bleach with some household cleansers (e.g. toilet bowl cleansers that contain acid) can generate chlorine gas, and mixing bleach withammonia generates toxic chloramine vapor. Mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced.

Just in case

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You didn't do anything wrong. It's always good to be sure though, and you did that. Goodonya

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I will give borax a try. I have quite a bit of it on hand. Thanks

Learned to use the borax wash additive because I smoke Fish, Fish, Smoke and Man not a great scent!:-)

Vinegar in the wash gets out odors really well too.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I found that adding a quarter cup of Borax along with the laundry detergent seems to work good for my clothes to get the smells out of them. I think it is cheaper than baking soda

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Baking Soda. 1,000.000 uses. Good to put in beans to prevent gas. Good for acid indigestion.
A good pesticide for ants. Just sprinkle the top of the mound with a good bit and go back in the house. Job done.
In the wash ?
Hades , any old foggy like me knew that one.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Baking Soda. 1,000.000 uses. Good to put in beans to prevent gas. Good for acid indigestion.
A good pesticide for ants. Just sprinkle the top of the mound with a good bit and go back in the house. Job done.
In the wash ?

On food? you're rendering your stomach acid neutral, so not properly digesting it. your poor colon, lol

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: Gothmog
In the wash ?

On food? you're rendering your stomach acid neutral, so not properly digesting it. your poor colon, lol

You put some in the beans as you are cooking them
"Just a dab will do ya"
So , you are not an old fogey ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join