It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote For The Very Best Examples of Plastics Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What have the Bic pen, iMac computer and traffic cone got in common?
They all owe key aspects of their design to the plastic material they are made from. And they are all in the running to be voted the best plastic product design of all time.
The editorial teams of PRW (Plastics & Rubber Weekly) and EPN (European Plastic News) have selected a shortlist of the plastic moulded products that they believe have had the biggest impact on our world, but which is the best of them?

The Lego Brick
The Bic Pen
Tupperware
Swatch Watches
The Traffic Cone
Airfix Kits
The Hille PP Chair
The MCC Smart City
The Accelerator Pedal
The Novo Nordisk Insulin Pen
Jif Lemon
The Apple iMac
Plastic Design & Moulding

Ive worked in the plastics industry for nigh on 20 years now and picking one from this list is very difficult. My own favourite I think would have to be the iMac, but has it had the same impact as say, the bic pen? I'd appreciate anyones thoughts, especially your own ideas for designs left from the list

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
How about heart stents? Saved the life of two people I know.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think that's a terrible list! The only product I was even remotely tempted to vote for was Legos, because they inspired my love of engineering. Legos are neat and all, but they're still just toys. I upgraded to AutoCAD in middle school.

I would have to vote Lexan. It's saved a whole hell of a lot of lives. Despite the fact that many convenience stores and gas stations have bulletproof shields around the register, tending a gas station or convenience store at night is the worlds most dangerous profession. No kidding, it kills and injures more people annually than firefighting or police work, more than marine snipers and mine disposal technicians. Can you imagine how much more dangerous it would be if clerks had nothing to protect them?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I vote for the polymer frame of my Springfield XD40!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Barbie.

She even comes in Indian flavor.

And talk about conspiracies!

[edit on 21-2-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I would have to vote for Legos man I loved those things when I was a kid. I didnt have any of those fancy Robotic Lego kits like kids can get now. Man I would have loved those when I was a kid if they had them.

Darn kids now have such better toys

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Plastics & Rubber Weekly sounds a little suss, but at least certain aids that may heve been included were not.

There are probably reasons that the yo-yo, the surfboard and the rubber ducky have not qualified.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
How about the plastic bottle? Holds everything from food/soda to vital medical/scientific supplies

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I would have to vote Lexan. It's saved a whole hell of a lot of lives. Despite the fact that many convenience stores and gas stations have bulletproof shields around the register, tending a gas station or convenience store at night is the worlds most dangerous profession. No kidding, it kills and injures more people annually than firefighting or police work, more than marine snipers and mine disposal technicians. Can you imagine how much more dangerous it would be if clerks had nothing to protect them?

Lexan is a fantastic material, but its a trade name for GE Plastics brand of polycarbonate. Bayer make Makrolon polycarbonate which is every bit as good as Lexan. There are many more manufacturers of polycarbonate as well. Fantastic material though.

Yes, Plastics & Rubber Weekly DOES sound a little suss! lol Its a trade magazine though, honestly........*cough*
Actually the rubber duck is a good thought, from a design point of view, its become an icon around the world.

How about the plastic bottle? Holds everything from food/soda to vital medical/scientific supplies

Good idea, but I think the idea of the award is to pick an original design from which many others have been copied and/or adapted. There are many, many bottle manufacturers, making many types of bottle around the world. Child proof caps on medicine bottles should probably be on the list before the Jiff Lemon though!

new topics

top topics

join