It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

whenever i see the anti-immigration folks get bent out of shape over the mexican flag i have to laugh. even when people march under it.

Im from the george carlin school of thought when it comes to flags.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Another is the Mexican flag (people forget that most of the southwest, and up into Idaho, were formerly Mexican territories).

:
WTF, forget, thats insane, I am not even from your shores and know this, is it lack of education or genuine forgetfullness

I think if California was of the coast of Scotland I would want to annex it also

As to the OP, I think the flag has been tarnished by images of football meatheads with it draped over them while they chant abuse at which ever host nation they are currently being oafs in.
Maybe the genuine people of the UK need to reclaim it, similar to the "N word" and how that has been reclaimed, put it up with pride, invite local ethnic minoritys and share a meal with them, if enough of us do it and treat each other decently we should be able to reclaim the flag which so many brave men and women made the ultimate sacrifice to defend.
edit on 18-7-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

Coz their flag phobes.

True Story.

On a serious note, the issue is one of weak immigration policy and poor vetting.

In the UK, the foreign-born population is massively higher in England than it is in Wales or Scotland - moreover, the non-western born population has exploded over the last 25 years. For example, nearly 40% of all foreign-born people living in the UK live in London.

The British Empire did much to the world that would leave a bad taste in the mouth to those on the receiving end. Those feelings get passed down through generations.

edit on 18/7/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

The Crusaders wore it.

As crazy as that sounds initially the more it makes some sort of sense . The crusaders were on a mission and anything that got in their way was killed off. That includes anything that did not fit the bill on their way to Jerusalem. The Crusades is still big news in some far off lands to this day so maybe you are onto something there. But has this fear of the red cross drifted into our own islands perceptions?

For me the flag is a nice but fairly boring flag and a little dull compared to some like the Brazilian flag or even our Union Jack. I prefer the Union Jack it is something that unites our small island while all the national flags here sort of have a dividing effect. Same as the Welsh flag or Scottish or even Yorkshire. We are Great Britain and our flag is a wonderful flag and it unites the Commonwealth and the English speaking world even being replicated on other nations flags. Why the need for the national flags of our island? Those days are gone we are Great Britain. I don't see it as anything racist it's just something from the past these days so people don't take it that seriously.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Culture isn't RACE.

Simply defined culture is the way one thinks,acts, believes aka learned.

As opposed born as.

Everyone is born the same. Arbitrary lines were created called borders that once upon a time were called tribes to now they're called countries.

And ANYONE can change their mailing address whenever they feel froggie.

When people throw that term around RACE. They're using it wrong.

As there is only one on the face of this rock called Earth.

Human.
edit on 18-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

No doubt. California is wonderful....

...if it wasn't for the people in charge.

Interesting reading along those lines: the Aztlan movement believes that Califas should be returned to Mexico.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The British Empire did much to the world that would leave a bad taste in the mouth to those on the receiving end. Those feelings get passed down through generations.

I don't hold a grudge.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruthThe British Empire did much to the world that would leave a bad taste in the mouth to those on the receiving end. Those feelings get passed down through generations.

But the Union Jack is not seen (by some) in the same way the cross of St George is. Most foreigners love the Jack.............. It sells Minis and Oasis etc. There is something more to it

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
It's not just attitudes towards flying the St George Cross that angers me.
Any expression of pride in English culture or heritage is immediately deemed as racist, xenophobic and typical of alleged English arrogance.
Yet it is viewed as something to be treasured and encouraged when other nations do exactly the same thing.

English privilege mate.
Like that weird white privilege thing in the US.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Not all Crusader wore it....and none did until The Templars started wearing it.

As with most military conflicts throughout history there was no good guy v bad guy in The Crusades....most were bad guys trying to impose their own particular belief system on others, and both sides were pretty barbaric at times.

Fascinating reading, no-one really comes out of it in a good light!

What angers me isn't just the attitudes towards the St George Cross, it's attitudes towards any expression of English pride.
It's immediately labelled racist whilst it's actively encouraged in the other constituent parts of the UK.

Hypocrisy and double standards of the highest order.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

For the record I admire your patriotism. Having
the same thing going on over here. I think
it speaks volumes to a world wide conspiracy
against any of that. The goal is to knock down
borders plain and simple. Can't very well do that
with blokes like you coarsing threads on social
media.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

We get that same crap down in Australia, they allowed the Aboriginal flag to be raised on Anzac Hill

www.abc.net.au...

Why no Greek or Dutch Aussies etc flags?

www.awm.gov.au...

Case studies exploring the ethnic diversity of the Australian Imperial Force

The 420,000 Australians who enlisted in the AIF during the First World War included Indigenous Australians, and Australians with British, Asian, Greek and Northern European heritage. For some, enlisting was difficult. The introduction of the Commonwealth Defence Act in 1909 excluded any person not “substantially of European descent” from joining up. Regardless, many did so. Anzac Diversity brings you their stories.

Now notice this "school resource" site lists Indigenous Australianbefore Europeans....LOL

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

flag which so many brave men and women made the ultimate sacrifice to defend.

Ultimate sacrifice in war is a sacrifice for the Bankers and Arms dealers who create wars.
Hitler wanted England as an ally

www.quora.com... ith-Great-Britain-rather-than-fascist-Italy-during-the-early-developmental-stages-of-the-Second-World-War

Unfortunately for Hitler, Britain didn't share the same view. By the 1930s, Britain was under enormous internal pressure. Discontent throughout their empire was on the rise and, with shrinking budgets due to the global depression, Britain had fewer resources to deal with these problems. Monetary policy was what led to Britain abandoning their leadership role in armored warfare and what turned them toward embracing the fighter -- a vehicle that could economically patrol the vast British Empire. Due to these internal problems, the last thing Britain wanted in Europe was a continental war that would draw their much-needed soldiers home from the colonies and into western Europe. Their whole policy of appeasement was based on the realization that a European war would bankrupt the Empire and likely lead to its collapse. The Treaty of Versailles placed the burden of enforcement on France and Britain and

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Well my threads on social media can't do much but as Churchill said, I'd fight them on the beaches of this island.
I'm not proud or ashamed of my nation, but I am proud of our nationhood.

link   
St George is flown all over England, was in Asda in Berwick and they had 4 full flags flying at the door. Had them flying in Newcastle when i was there at the Weekend. St George, and the Butchers flag are a sign of oppression and colonism, which quite frankly can be binned, especially with all this brexit #e that you lot have imposed on the rest of us

link   

English privilege mate.
Like that weird white privilege thing in the US.

PMSL.
English and white privilege?

# me, I come from North East England....we've been crapped on and screwed over as much as anyone on these Islands of ours.
I've never been 'privileged' to have anything at all handed to me...what I've got I've fought for, grafted and earned on my own merits, no-one has ever handed me anything.

Those PC driven, Generation Snowflake interfering do-gooders know absolutely nothing about the mountain of crap I've had to crawl and fight my way through in my life.
But still I take pride in what has gone before me and what has helped shape me, my friends and family and my environment into what it was, is and hopefully will be in the future.

I'm proud to be English, I'm proud to be British...I see no shame in that.
Why should I?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Question: did the Aboriginee have flags prior to colonialization? Or is it the result of grafting European culture onto their own?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Interesting link, given me some new things to read about, nice one.

link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: UKTruthThe British Empire did much to the world that would leave a bad taste in the mouth to those on the receiving end. Those feelings get passed down through generations.

But the Union Jack is not seen (by some) in the same way the cross of St George is. Most foreigners love the Jack.............. It sells Minis and Oasis etc. There is something more to it

Nonsense, its known as the Butchers Flag in a lot of places

link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

As with most military conflicts throughout history there was no good guy v bad guy in The Crusades....most were bad guys trying to impose their own particular belief system on others, and both sides were pretty barbaric at times.

Oh yeah the Crusaders weren't that bad in the scheme of things as judged by the time, it was normal behaviour. In addition to which I do believe the Christian world was doing the right thing, the holiest city in Christendom being stolen by a new cult emerging from beyond. Christianity was right to defend its holy city and are right to do it today even if that means to get the Jews to do it for them these days

Hey we're gonna need CCG to open up another new topic soon if we don't get back on track

Maybe the flag thing goes back to English football hooligans in the late twentieth century? The English 'fans' certainly got a reputation for violence against foreigners during that period

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join