It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

STURGEON is the best thing that has happened to this country in decades,...

Really?
She's a complete crank.

I agree entirely with the rest of your post....but she is a nutjob.

Haven't got a clue what the alternative is....exactly the same as Westminster, none of them are worthy of our respect or vote.

We need a full system reboot.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

We have mountains and scenery for the tourists but still plenty of idiots to go around.

I would love to suggest that everyone is friendly to people wherever they are from but that would depend on there mood which can be somewhat changeable.

I blame the weather, if its crap people are generally dour faced bastards to one another and if its sunny some poor sod is generally still getting glassed in the park.

Never happy really, but its Scotland, not that much to be happy about. LoL

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

Mate lookup Govanhill.

She should be swinging from a tree.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

You have other industry though, here tourism IS the industry, and everything else relies on it.
I was walking through town earlier and thought I was in a foreign country because we have them from all over the world, all languages and all shades of skin colour. Locals will defend them passionately because we need them to tell their friends that this is a nice place to visit. One bad experience can lead to 10 other people never coming here and vice versa with good experiences.

We have our own pricks as well, but the majority of decent locals keep them under control, and we effectively police ourselves due to never seeing any cops here. Even the PCSO's have recently been layed off. It's almost lawless but works well with a strong community.

Racism has no place in a society that completely lives on money from 'outsiders'.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Never happy really, but its Scotland, not that much to be happy about.

Is that you Renton?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Aye govanhill , in fact Nicolas constituency or Stewart MacDonalds in the south , Crosshill where I stay isnt as bad as Govanhill, Govanhill is going to the dogs, honestly I could tell ye some stories !

I think there is some sort of agenda there by the way ! because its a major SNP stronghold right
but the council arent in there cleaning like they should be , and the police stopped walking the beat ,
funny though because it was only 2 years ago a spate of rapes took place in Govanhill and more security CCTV was erected
and the police started doubling up on the beat and doing two or three a day in Govanhill for about a year solid
then it faded away again and the CCTV was smashed .

Nae joke right, I was on my day off my full time job , painting a shop sign on victoria road in govanhill
and I finished the job and started rolling a wee cigarette at a cable box on the road, then some wee guy , about 15 or 16 maybe younger actually , was a wee pakistani boy , and he says, here big man , you lookin for any work?
I was like naw mate Ive got a full time job ,
he was trying to get me to punt gear for him !
Dunno what was going throuhg his head, that Id be willing to sell drugs for a laddie a 3rd my age

honestly you wouldnt believe the number of young men doon there selling drugs, and young lassies selling their bodies!
I feel bad for them !

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Never happy really, but its Scotland, not that much to be happy about.

Is that you Renton?

If you go out to loch lomond or anywhere up the west highland way or the trossachs and wild camp , start a fire and stare into the hills
Dont need anything else to be happy!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

"Racism has no place in a society" would have worked just fine for me.

But Racism its a symptom, not a root cause.

Truth is our nation is rather synonymous with racial hatred nevermind mass genocide, no matter how much we attempt to preach otherwise, as history has clearly illustrated time and time again.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
right everyone Nay or Yay time

lets get a manifesto and do this # ! boot #in time we done it
and why not , im sure the collective mental fortitude of the ATS members can come up with a world class manifesto across the political spectrum that appeases all !

now how about this for the economy

cannabis legislation , medicinal and recreational to stimulate the economy ?
think about tourism and trade

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Aye Sickboy, pass the syringe.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

A tent might be nice.

But i tend to agree.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Is it just me, or do the rest of you love it when mods let us Brits go off-topic and stray around with our banter when we play nice?
Our debating style is definitely much different to say stuff you see in US political type threads.
...Kandinsky will probably pop up now I've said this and delete 'off topic' just for a laugh!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Agreed, not in any society, I think the point I'm making is our racists here know we absolutely need all these people from around the world and they would be more shunned/punished by the community if they ever did anything to damage our tourist industry.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
cannabis legislation , medicinal and recreational to stimulate the economy ?
think about tourism and trade

It's pretty much legal here in my parts. The cops are so under resourced that you don't even get a caution anymore for personal possession. They really don't care about pot anymore.
9 plants or less? Caution and 'confiscation' at worst.

But yep, it would boost tourism for sure so I'd support it in a heartbeat...more problems with alcohol than anything else, every cop will tell you that.

EDIT
Please please be very careful just generally discussing legalisation. I've had a couple of threads closed down because someone has discussed use of illegal substances. I'm enjoying this thread and would be gutted to see it closed down from a silly mistake.
edit on 20-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Most racists i know tend not to over think their situation nor consider the adverse tourism implications their outlook may have on society.

Then again most racists struggle to read books nevermind Mein Kampf.

Brexit will do enough damage, and to more than just the tourist industry. Watch as it enables quite a few of our rightwing type muppets and groups.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I agree about stupid racists, but they ain't too stupid to know that if they abuse a tourist then local blokes will sort them out. The system works here like that. No cops called, a beating, no witnesses, and any CCTV deleted from the pub or wherever.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

This is a fascinating thread; it is always interesting to hear what things are like outside London.

The St George Cross and Union Flag fly from our local council offices, a local Anglican church, a builder's yard around the corner from the council building - and all over the area because some people haven't taken them down after the footie.

We've got a lot of Muslims and Poles in the area and no-one bats an eyelid.

Maybe we#re just more tolerant in London.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

What are the house prices like around your postcode!???

I could even bring down an old England flag. LoL

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Interesting thoughts

I've said a couple of times though I don't know any racists personally and maybe it's because we need tourists from around the world to survive. My thoughts in the OP were inspired by anecdotal experience and stuff I read online where people attach a racist idea to the flag.
As discussed, it's probably because people like the EDL have hijacked it for their agenda.

I wouldn't want to live in London though, it may be tolerant as you claim but some people are a bit stabby in your parts.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Camping near Loch Lomond? Are you mad? Good God man, the midges will eat you alive!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join