It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I believe the EDL think we are under attack by Muslims so it's a religious hatred thing. I'm not sure of their opinion of non-white people, never seem to be any amongst their ranks, just white angry men.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I remember the School making somewhat of a big deal of it, official or otherwise, throughout my childhood.

Sturgeon is a muppet of the first order, canny even sort out her own constituency, nevermind the rest of the country.

I would suggest she needs a right good backhander, but she has obviously had plenty already with more in the post to come. LoL

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Probably still let you in if you are not white, it's getting back out that's the problem i imagine.

Racist twats the lot of them really.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Heck, if you dare fly the flag of England you can expect people to think you have a skinhead and hate foreigners.
It's absolutely ridiculous, even St George's day is a mild affair compared to the other home nation's national day.
I've always thought it odd that English nationalism is frowned upon compared to Scottish or Welsh nationalism.

Even though the English flag is being used all the time by the racist/xenophobics far right groups, foreigners don't mind at all. There are two problems:

1- Police and government telling people not to display the flag as it may seem imperialistic. That's rubbish and they are creating a problem and division where there isn't one. I lived in England for 20 years until I moved last Summer and neighbours displaying their national flag had never offended me, nor I know any other foreigners who felt differently.

2- Racist idiots abusing first or second generation British people when they used the flag does cause problems. I have seen that with my own eyes, appalled at someone being labelled 'not English' because they look darker. In fact, despite what another poster have said, the passion for England doesn't disappear when people have parents from another country and you see that when England plays in the world cup.

So see, it's not the English population or the foreigners living in England that have a problem, it's stupid advice by official channels and a small percentage of xenophobics.

originally posted by: Freeborn
Hell, even the Spanish slaughtered far, far more than The British did in building and holding onto their Empire.
Yet the Spanish aren't universally hated anywhere near as much as the English are today.

Sure we did some 'bad things'...but it doesn't explain the level of hypocrisy and double standards towards the English here in the UK and in certain places abroad.

The animosity or hatred against the English abroad has a simple explanation: countries became independent from the Spanish Empire 200 years ago. That's a long time ago.

Countries that were invaded and colonized by the British Empire only started becoming independent 60 years ago, some until fairly recently, 1984. Add to this the fact that the British Empire was a lot bigger than the Spanish, this means you have fresh wounds that still haven't healed all around the world.

I think I should also add Brexit which has changed how people view the English in other countries. Spain has not shown the xenophobia England is showing to other Europeans nationals (which is not in people's imagination but proven with statistics).

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

I'm Scottish, been here a while like, and we Scottish do indeed celebrate said day.

Else that's some mad Mandela effect happening in my nut this morning.

Christ, we would celebrate any day of the week if there was a drink in it for us. LoL

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I celebrate St Georges day, piss up at my local pub. Never celebrated St Andrews but I have had some fantastic Burn's night parties at my Scottish friends home...Haggis, Neeps and tatties, oh wow, first time I tried it, absolutely amazing. My mate's dear old mother makes a great spread of food.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
just thinking again about the OP

how I said that Id not classify myself as British due to the suspect past of the Empire!

Also in hindsight, our collective of Flags, in the UK are also involved heavily in shady arms deals, suspect proxy wars
never mind our involvement in Afghanistan , Iraq, Libya , Somalia , Syria I could list of all the countries we have been collectively #ing for the last 20 years !

# Scotland let Al Megrahi go backt o Libya and we wouldnt even send a wee boy to italy for experimental surgery and he was just a wee #ing boy
Megrahi was banged up for suspected terror attack and killing over 200 people on the lockerbie bombing.
I dont agree with that at all!

SO aye I can fully understand why some people may feel the St Georges cross the Saltire , St Patricks cross or the Welsh flag can represent racism , because all we have done for the last 20 years is bomb "brown" people in the middle east
all based on a lie !

I think we should call out our governments as much as possible , because we the people of the UK are being misrepresented

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

See, not all the experiments we try out in Scotland first are bad.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I agree and am against pretty much all recent military action by our governments, but to me, our flags represent our people and different societies with a shared history. Heck we were killing each other for thousands of years before we started killing brown people.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Lol, I think St Georges day should be a national holiday, just switch it from the one at the end of May or something, no big deal to do it, but nice to party.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I think it's more when Westminster sticks there finger in our pie, experiment-wise, that the problems arise.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

You celebrate Saint Andrews day ?
Lol I bet you don’t.
But hey, I’ll run with it, tell us more about your celebrations.

link   
I'm amazed we've all played nice in this thread

...where's Solo? Anyone seen him around?

link   
For anyone who thought EDL are unique.

www.google.co.uk... rc=_&spf=1532088678070

Please take time to scroll through, some beauties!

link   

Killing poor Brown people has been our national pastime since time immemorial really.

I'm rather surprised we don't have a national holiday to represent such if truth be told, considering how good at it we most certainly are.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Bloody 'ell! I didn't know there was a Scottish Defence League, they look as nuts and angry as the EDL!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

Ok bet away. LoL

I don't personally celebrate or look forward to the occasion or day myself, but i have seen it done.

It's not like i mark it in my calendar.
www.visitscotland.com...
There you go through.

edit on 20-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Not much I can do about it.
I've protested every war in London, I'm on my MP like a rash on twitter and face to face, and I've always voted for parties opposed to killing brown people.
I can't actually think of anything else I can personally do about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

We don't let them out much.

As trying to arrange all the required careers on the same day is sheer murder.
edit on 20-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Protesting simply get you on a list these days.

Not much anyone can do about it as its part of a larger agenda that has played out for a while.

If it's not broken "They" are apt not to fix it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join