It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More crumbs for Nancy... new tax cut being debated.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
(I am placing this in the Political Mud Pit instead of Breaking Political News because I know it will turn into a mess no matter what is said)

A big deal was made back when the original tax cut package was introduced that the individual tax cuts were not permanent. It was even stated that the original cuts were a tax hike because of this, because when they expired taxes would have to go up. Well, apparently you were heard:

While the first tax package reduced the individual tax rates and padded Americans’ wallets, some of those provisions are set to expire in the coming years. Administration officials and key GOP lawmakers have suggested the new tax package could make some of those policies, including recently lowered individual tax rates, permanent.

So, while the rest of the world is fantasizing about some sort of weird thing happening between Trump and Putin, and spending their lives obsessing over a slip of the tongue, Trump and Congress are talking about doing things that actually benefit the people in the country even more. I find this telling because Trump is not running for re-election, and even if he was, he already passed a tax cut and kept that promise to the American people.

I'm just curious what the excuse to oppose letting people keep more money will be this time...

TheRedneck

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

On one side, you have tax cuts, more money for us, for businesses.

On the other side you see a push for universal basic incomes, and a subsequent raising of taxes.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Shhhh! You're not supposed to notice that! Comey said so.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

On one side, you have tax cuts, more money for us, for businesses.

On the other side you see a push for universal basic incomes, and a subsequent raising of taxes.

Was about to post the same thing....

OP...why dont you think Trump will run again?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I said he's not up for re-election... this is 2018, not 2020.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm no economist and I certainly want to keep more of my money. I work fairly hard for it

But I'm just wondering about the deficit/national debt. Does anyone in the world actually know what's going on ?? -- because every month I see "Government rakes in record amount of taxes" yet we're getting to keep more of our money, and the deficit continues to increase...

I haven't a clue

Please explain in language that a 6th grader can understand

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I said he's not up for re-election... this is 2018, not 2020.

TheRedneck

Gotcha...I thought you meant he wasn't going to run for a second term.

If the tax cuts are as good as I think they will be then we are in for some more dem REEEeeeee! coming soon...

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I find this telling because Trump is not running for re-election...

I haven't heard this before. Where was this said?

ETA: Got it.
edit on 18-7-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This must be reminded about in any thread about reducing taxes: Our country is 'only' 242 years old, but we've only had an income tax for 115 years of that time. Before that, as we grew to become a great nation, our country was able to survive without such a thing.

Let that sink in, because we've gone from a nation without an income tax to now a nation considering taxing people so that we can have a "free" basic income handed to us by the government.

We have lost our way.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Tax cuts are AMERICAN VALUES.

Real ones that is.

And you should vote for Pelosi's party WHY?

All they want to do is take more $$ out of your wallets.
edit on 18-7-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

It's called a spending problem--we spend too much as a nation on things that are not something that the federal government should be controlling or, quite frankly, doing.

Even a sixth-grader can understand that, in order to live within our means, we should spend no more than we "make" (e.g.: Take from our citizens) and should strive to spend much less.

But we don't--spend, Spend, SPEND!

Did you know that, when a new fiscal year starts, federal agencies all around the U.S. scramble to spend as much money as they can because if they don't spend the entirety of that year's budget, the next year's budget will be reduced (most likely)? It's poor stewardship of the taxpayer dollar, and it happens year in and year out.

I'm a federal employee and just sat through a meeting where a manager of a unit said that they needed 20 new headphones for new hires (so that they can communicate over their computers with a headset) and said that he could only find ones that were $250--the director literally said, "Well, we have the money, so put in the request."

I chimed in that I have seen them for around $30 dollars and I would send him the link.

Again--we have a spending problem.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Please explain in language that a 6th grader can understand

OK, that's a fair request.

The economy is not a zero-sum game... in other words, if someone males a dollar, it does not mean someone else loses a dollar. Think about the stock market. When a stock goes down in price, the investors just lost money because what they have isn't worth as much today as it was yesterday. So who gains from them losing? No one. As a matter of fact, if the stock price goes low enough, a lot of other people will lose too: the employees when jobs are lost and the managers when they don't get bonuses, to name a couple.

So how does this work? It works because businesses make value. The cell phone you are (probably) holding might cost $400, $500 or more. The materials that make it up cost maybe $1. Most of it is nothing more than purified sand and oil when it stars out. The sand is turned into a silicon crystal, which is turned into wafers, which is turned into integrated circuits. The oil is turned into plastic, which is shaped to form a case. At every stage, the result is worth more than the original material. That's what profit is: more money in the economy.

So, since taxes are a percentage of the economic market, a smaller percentage of a larger market can be more. As an example, if you could choose between 50% of $100 or 20% of $1000, which would you choose? The 50% would get you $50. The 20% would get you $200.

Taxes hurt the economy. Every person who pays takes has less to spend than they would if they didn't pay taxes. If people have more money, they will spend more money. If they spend more money, there has to be something to spend it on, and that something is a good or service produced by a company. The more that company sells, the more it makes, but also the more people it needs to make more to sell.Like in a restaurant, three waitresses might be enough for now, but if the number of customers double, three just ain't enough; the restaurant will need to hire three more waitresses to keep up.

We have to have taxes to pay for stuff the government needs, but the idea is to get the most from the taxes. If the taxes are too high, they will slow the economy so much that the amount of money coming in will drop, and if they're too low we won't have enough coming in to pay for what we need. There's a middle ground, where the taxes are as high as they can be, without being so high they actually hurt the economy too much. The question is, where is that level?

I have said for some time, as have others, that taxes are too high. That doesn't mean we think the government has too much money; it means we think the government could get more actual money by cutting the taxes enough to spur the economy. As it turns out, according to the last tax cuts, we were right. The economy has strengthened and we are bringing in more money with the lower rates. So now we want to make those tax cuts permanent, because that will make businesses want to expand even more. Businesses want to expand when they are convinced the economy is going to keep doing well... they don't expand when it is just a quick upturn that will go back down. Well, no more than they have to anyway, and they'll typically hire temporary people to do that.

Hopefully, that clears it up some?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Tax cuts are AMERICAN VALUES.

And you should vote for Pelosi's party WHY?

The reason I heard was to 'restore the balance of power'

Or some dumb sh*t similar to that.

Power.... it's all about control to some people and also about on which party has it. I'd just like a nice, petite government that is scared of me, or rather respect's me as an individual.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Taxes hurt the economy.

This needs to be repeated, and often.

The more money you have the more money you spend.

Tax cuts are self funding.

You don't lose money.

You have MORE of it.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Yeah, should be fun to watch... but the real fun will be November.

But what I like is that this is going to spur the economy even more. There are already industries around here that are begging for workers (low level stuff so far), and that has already started raising wages.

I certainly expect Trump to run for another term. I will be voting for him if so, barring something absolutely earth-shattering... as in, he strips off his outer skin and exposes a reptilian or something*...

TheRedneck

* I am going to consider that a test... just to see if any MSM actually try to claim Trump is a reptilian...

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

And As SlapMonkey so eloquently put it... Mom has a spending problem!!

Thanks for the replies gents! I think they will provide potential posters in this thread with something to chew on before they pull the typical "how are we going to pay for these tax cuts?" Debbie-Downer reply!!!

edit on 2901x6729America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yep, he has a good point as well. The more we spend, the more we have to hurt the economy to get it.

I have seen the exact thing he speaks of. I managed to buy a lot of 7 commercial videotape recorders one time (the 1" commercial units used for broadcast) for something like 2 cents on a dollar... all because the agency needed to max out their budget, so they ordered new ones and had to dispose of the old ones (which were in like new condition).

I think I still have a couple somewhere...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Reduce spending. But no one wants to be the one to cut into social spending.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

True, but everyone seems to want the job...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Maybe something else to consider is the impact fraud has on our economy.

Think it costs us about $200 billion a year... maybe it's improved a bit over the last couple of years with the forced focus on identity protection, but then again, the fraudsters always seem to be one step ahead.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join