It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulating News Networks (Eliminating Propaganda)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Sure, it's factual when they include context, but most of the time they are only using sound bytes to be able to twist the story to fit their narrative. It happens on both sides. It doesn't matter whether it's CNN, MSNBC, or Fox news. They are all guilty of it.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FingerMan

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: FingerMan

False, false, false.

Shouting fire in a theatre is not a crime.

The media is supplying a demand, whether they have an agenda or not. There is no sane reason to abandon free speech for the sake of quieting speech you do not want to hear.

Government regulation is always used against the people, not for them. It is only a matter of time before it is used on you. These are your fellow citizens, and they, like you, have the god-given right to pump as much propaganda as they please. It’s up to you and your fellow citizens to engage in both the free market economy and the market of ideas, to have an argument, to change minds, support what you like, with the full force of free speech behind you.

Am I a parrot? Coz I have to keep repeating myself.

"sake of quieting speech you do not want to hear."

This is not what I ever posted anywhere on this thread. I very sensibly said we should segregate fact from fiction. This is not an infringement. It is a simple regulation. You know, like the one that says we can't have any boxes 3 feet from the ceiling otherwise its a fire hazard? This one is to prevent fires as well.

It is NOT an infringement if Congress comes down and tells News Organizations to segregate News from Commentary, and to do so in the clearest of senses.

There are many on this site that can tell the difference. And there are many that cannot. For the children,,, DO IT!

It is an infringement. Government intervention into matters of free speech, into determining through the force of law, backed by a monopoly on violence, what can and cannot be disseminated through the press, is against free speech. Speech isn’t a drug or fire hazard. It doesn’t need to be regulated.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

I don't disagree with that statement. Speech should not be regulated.
The news and commentary should be separated.

I can see where you are confused on that bit. But it's pretty simple. And whether you agree with me or not, there is a wave building in this direction. It's just a matter of time before consensus of the sheople back a movement of this sort. And when that happens, grass roots politicians will take it up. And when that happens, it's just a matter of time before a law or regulation is introduced.

I don't think that my proposal will happen in the near future. But anything is possible. Donald Trump became our President.
edit on 18-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
All MSM is propaganda. MSM is a tool to control the minds of the masses.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Who decides what is propaganda and what isn't?.
Sorry but no.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

What you are basically suggesting was once the norm. The news was based strictly on fact, and opinions were reserved for the editorial pages. Even on TV news programs, opinions were discussed and debated as such, with at least two opinions ("sides") represented. That's what SNL's old "Point/Counterpoint" skits with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtin was all about (with a lot more humor than the news of course!).

Today, folks don't even know the difference between opinion and fact: Pew study finds Americans can’t tell fact from opinion.

People participating in the Pew study were provided five statements, including “spending on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid make up the largest portion of the U.S. Federal budget,” and five opinion statements, including “Democracy is the greatest form of government.”

They were also two statements that were ambiguous.

Just 26 percent of the adults surveyed correctly identified all five factual statements as factual, according to the study.

And just 35 percent identified all five opinion statements as opinion.

That's pretty darn sad, but it's not surprising. We see it right here on ATS all the time.

What's even more depressing is that while many folks don't know the difference between fact and opinion, too many don't know there is a difference. Rather, we're told that "everyone is biased." And while that may be true to the extent everyone has opinions and preferences, it's NOT true in that some of us still know the difference between what we know to be fact, and what we believe based on those facts.

I think our greater challenge may be to educate the people to know the difference. I was taught young by my father, who made me read news articles and point out all the adjectives and adverbs... I taught my kids to "spot the lie" while watching commercials on TV... It can be done. But it's up to all of us to do so.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I am totally with you on that. Its way past time to clean up these so-called news outlets.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

It is NOT an infringement if Congress comes down and tells News Organizations to segregate News from Commentary, and to do so in the clearest of senses.

Politicians in charge of the information the taxpayers receive...what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Politicians in charge of the information the taxpayers receive...what could possibly go wrong?

Yup, whole reason the press exists is to counteract government monopolization of information made available to the public. Giving the gatekeepr role to government is far worse than the worst press can ever produce.

That said the US press is in dire need of a self-regulatory ethics and accuracy framework like other modern democracies. Accuracy standards are terrible, news pundits/celebrities need firing and replacing with actual journalists and news, stop with constant naming of race or religion when not relevant to the story as only spreads bigotry, a minimum percentage threshold of 'public service broadcasting' where networks must report accurate, unbiased, hard-hitting news rather than salacious gossip, rumour, scandal or 'what are the Kardashian's doing today?' reports.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

That said the US press is in dire need of a self-regulatory ethics and accuracy framework like other modern democracies. Accuracy standards are terrible, news pundits/celebrities need firing and replacing with actual journalists and news,

We already have a "fair and balanced" news organization.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlysyn

Sound bites? Sound bites are when they cut-off speeches and ignore what's said later on in the speech. I don't see that happening. In fact I've watched numerous Trump's speeches and in no way does it look like news organizations are trying to twist Trumps words.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I agree with you that a lot of people don't have common sense. However, that common sense is compromised due to political bias. The news organizations you listed are liberal leaning, however, you failed to mention any of the conservative leaning news organizations like FOX News. They've been involved in many questionable reporting and some of their own reporters have turned against their slant of the new. I think FOX news reporter Chris Wallace's interview with Putin has proven Trump's unwillingness to put pressure on him to admit Russia interfered in our elections.

I really think giving credit to Trump as being a mad genius is over the top. He has a limited vocabulary, has been caught numerous times contradicting himself, and his credibility can't be trusted. Not all billionaires and business owners are geniuses. Many successful businesses are started by their parents or given financial help to become successful. If Trump came from a poor low-class family and than rose to riches, than I could probably prescribe him to be a genius. But a genius, I think not. He hasn't proven to me and to many others his so called gift "Art of the Deal" when it comes to negotiating domestically or on the world stage.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
But you are primarily demonstrating op/ed pieces, and not news stories. OP/ed has been part of the news forever. It isn't propaganda.

The problem is people these days appear too stupid (not the OP, people in general) to distinguish between a news story and op/ed. Hint: If it comes from CNN or FOX news, it's either straight up op/ed or opinion based, because that's what their viewers want.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I like where you're going with this, but I do not trust the government to be the arbiter of truth or fact. It has lied (and institutionalized lying, in fact) to the point where its credibility is near zilch.

Surely no one thought the government could lie/cheat/steal for the last hundred years and still have credibility? Right?

...and that's how I feel with "my" President in office/both houses of congress and a libertarian/conservative SCOTUS.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Did you miss the:

It already is, although its slightly convoluted the arrangement as the corporatists that own the government own the TV, newspapers, radio, books, magazines, movies, etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Ha, even your very best non-fiction has stuff in it that's biased to a certain extent. The author's personal biases always come out if you know what you're looking for.

You cannot have a simple statement of fact quite like you are imagining. Like it or not, even the days of Walter Cronkite were not unbiased, just the facts news. What you were seeing was the news presented all one way.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Though I am skeptical of your proposed solution, I completely agree with your analysis. Yes, the mainstream media is nothing more than a propaganda outlet for those who control the government. Their purpose is to get us thinking the way they want us to think.

It would require radical change to end the status quo. I don't think it is as easy as you suggest.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

It's a slippery slope... State sanctioned news media makes for good Comrades.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
at this point
even if Trump did something stupid / wrong / incompetent my first impression would be to conclude that the media and democrats (same people anyhow) were just fake newsing him.

Are people really dumb enough to be influenced by this propaganda machine?

Yes.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Thank you Boadicea. I knew there were like minded people out there that could intelligently argue this point.
Great post!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join