It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulating News Networks (Eliminating Propaganda)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: FingerMan

Good thread! CNN and MSNBC need to be investigated by the CIA/FBI as TRAITORS to America.

What's really sad about this country is people like you actually exist. Guess what happens when you take away FREEDOM from the people responsible for CNN and MSNBC? I'm pretty sure you have no idea. Here, Bill Cooper tells you exactly what will happen when you don't let the communists wave their signs:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You are right about that. Hate does sell.
But should it sell on a News Network? That is the question I pose.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FingerMan

It's not news. It's entertainment. And FREEDOM of the press to anyone who owns one. You don't like it, then buy your own press. Otherwise, life is tough.

edit on 17-7-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: carewemust

Good thread! CNN and MSNBC need to be investigated by the CIA/FBI as TRAITORS to America.

What's really sad about this country is people like you actually exist. Guess what happens when you take away FREEDOM from the people responsible for CNN and MSNBC? I'm pretty sure you have no idea. Here, Bill Cooper tells you exactly what will happen when you don't let the communists wave their signs:

Bro, I don't want anyone investigated as posted on this thread. I am not even coming close to suggesting such.
I only pose that news needs to be separated from commentary via regulation or something.
Anchors can still espouse their hatred for the other party or candidate. But they should not do that within the fact gathering/disseminating business.
It really does seem logical to me, and doesn't infringe on a free press or free speech in any way.
edit on 17-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It's not news. It's entertainment. And FREEDOM of the press to anyone who owns one. You don't like it, then buy your own press. Otherwise, life is tough.

That my friend is not Capitalism. It is called Fascism.
edit on 17-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

a reply to: olaru12

But this will go on. In 2 to 6 years a Democrat will likely be sworn into office. Then Fox News and BreitBart Cable News will be the culprit. At that point, you'll probably be the one to author this thread.

BS...I can disagree with a "news" source without wanting to control and regulate them. It's called Capitalism and free enterprise.

edit on 17-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

a reply to: olaru12

But this will go on. In 2 to 6 years a Democrat will likely be sworn into office. Then Fox News and BreitBart Cable News will be the culprit. At that point, you'll probably be the one to author this thread.

BS...I can disagree with a "news" source without wanting to control them. It's called Capitalism and free enterprise.

What does Capitalism have to do with a free press?
And do we not heavily regulate Capitalism?

I feel like I'm just being trolled here.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Fascism is what you propose. Control by govt. regulation of freedom of the press. Anti 1st eh?

An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.The term Fascism was first used of the totalitarian right-wing ...

edit on 17-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Fascism is what you propose. Control by govt. regulation of freedom of the press. Anti 1st eh?

Was that a tap out?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

There is NO NEWS. There's only entertainment to make money on TV.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

There's bias in every news organization. However, anyone with any common sense can distinguish "facts" from pure hearsay and propaganda. I spend a lot of time watching and reading news from various new sources on TV and online. My wife hates how much time I spend reading and watching the news when she would prefer me to watch Hallmark romance movies with her, lol.

However, it does amaze me how people can follow in-line with Trump and dangerously call the media an enemy of the people. CNN has been labeled "Fake News" by a president who clearly spreads enough fake and false news of his own on a daily basis. Besides that, how can anyone label back to back recorded videos proving lies and contradictions coming straight out of the horses mouth as fake? You can't get any better proof and facts than that!

Not all news content is propaganda. Proving and backing up allegations with videos, recordings and eye-witnesses is not propaganda. Those are proven facts and they should be treated as such. The American public is free to weigh both sides of an issue based upon reports and proven "facts." Saying something just doesn't make it so. Saying something that conflicts with video proof, recordings or eyewitnesses statements is clearly political bias and propaganda to sway public opinion.

To illegitimize a free press and claiming it's all propaganda is dangerous to a democracy...

So that is why freedom of the press is important. Not to protect the rights of newspapers, reporters, radio and television stations and the like but to protect the right of the people to have the information they need to make informed decisions about their government.

And regardless of how poorly the press does its job, the principle of freedom of the press cannot be abandoned because without it, we have no real protection at all. Only an electorate that is informed can make intelligent decisions.

source

How Americans interpret that information should be free from political affiliation and bias.
edit on 17-7-2018 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

There's bias in every news organization. However, anyone with any common sense can distinguish "facts" from pure hearsay and propaganda. I spend a lot of time watching and reading news from various new sources on TV and online. My wife hates how much time I spend reading and watching the news when she would prefer me to watch Hallmark romance movies with her, lol.

However, it does amaze me how people can follow in-line with Trump and dangerously call the media an enemy of the people. CNN has been labeled "Fake News" by a president who clearly spreads enough fake and false news of his own on a daily basis. Besides that, how can anyone label back to back recorded videos proving lies and contradictions coming straight out of the horses mouth? You can't get any better proof and facts than that!

Not all news content is propaganda. Proving and backing up allegations with videos, recordings and eye-witnesses is not propaganda. Those are proven facts and they should be treated as such. The American public is free to weigh both sides of an issue based upon reports and proven "facts." Saying something just doesn't make it so. Saying something that conflicts with video proof, recordings or eyewitnesses statements is clearly political bias and propaganda to sway public opinion.

To illegitimize a free press and claiming it's all propaganda is dangerous to a democracy...

So that is why freedom of the press is important. Not to protect the rights of newspapers, reporters, radio and television stations and the like but to protect the right of the people to have the information they need to make informed decisions about their government.

And regardless of how poorly the press does its job, the principle of freedom of the press cannot be abandoned because without it, we have no real protection at all. Only an electorate that is informed can make intelligent decisions.

source

How Americans interpret that information should be free from political affiliation and bias.

Good points all. I just strongly disagree with you about "common sense." If it were common, we'd all have it.

And I think people are getting the wrong idea from this proposition. There is no censorship of the press. Zero Censorship!
There is only separation of fact from myth.

I agree with President Trump on a whole host of issues. I personally think the man is a mad genius. And mad genius's are called "mad" for a particular reason. So while I find him correct, right, courageous on most things - there are some things that have turned my stomach. With that said, I am conscious enough to make my own assessment. However, CNN MSNBC NBC CBS and ABC have an agenda of demonizing our POTUS. I do think they have the right to do that. Don't get me wrong. But I do not think it should be mingled with the actual fact disseminating business of the NEWS.

It's a simple point really. I think most of you have a pre-conceived notion of what my proposal was. It is simply to separate fact from fiction. And I do not agree with any of you that would or will say the American populace is smart enough to figure it out. They clearly are not. And for those of you using Alex Jones as an example of censorship and free market,,,, ALEX JONES IS NOT A NEWS NETWORK. Alex Jones is obvious entertainment. But yes, he has stooped quite a few hundred thousand people. Which also validates my proposal of separating fact from fiction, aka News from Commentary.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that the net profits each news channel makes is beyond what the agendas they all sell US makes?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I have a solution. One that does not involve modifying our constitution or bill of rights. It is called REGULATION.
CNN, FOXNEWS, MSNBC, ABC News, NBC News, and CBS News should be regulated.
But how one might ask?

Not gonna happen. Want to know why? Because they are already "regulated." Every news agency of any consequence has at least one person on the payroll of an alphabet agency with the "legal" authority to quash any story. I'd bet my bottom dollar on that.

Also, we know for a fact that the US Government distributes stories to news agencies to be published as "news." There is plenty of proof on ATS for anyone to verify this.

Every government in the world controls their media. The United States is no exception. A true free press of any significance cannot be allowed for a very important reason. Civilization in its current form is entirely dependent on perception. We can see that in out stock markets, where rumors can create or destroy money. Money itself depends on perception. A Federal Reserve Note and an Iraqi Dinar are both just printed pieces of paper, but we're told one is worth more than the other. Whether someone is a freedom fighter or a terrorist depends on what our government wants us to believe. Whether a government is a regime or an administration depends on whether or not our government considers them an ally.

Screaming "Fire" in a crowded theater is a crime.

This is a perfect example of perception management. We've heard this so much it's cliche`. "You can't yell fire in a crowded theater!" And how do we interpret this? We say that the First Amendment doesn't apply to potentially harmful speech. Sounds reasonable, right? How many people know the exact quote, who said it, and why?

But if you want to talk harmful speech, remember how all major news organizations did their level best to sell us on the Iraq War and Iraq's weapons of mass destruction? How many people died? How much money was wasted? Same questions for the Vietnam War. Was anyone in the media ever held accountable for the outright lies?

No, and they never will be. Because the ones who should hold them accountable are the ones promoting the lies.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The news should be put forth in the form of facts and truth .
Not opinions by the reporter or the script writers.
Just give us the facts and let us decide what it means to us .
The MSM doesn't want to hear our opinions but sure as hell bombard us with whatever it is that they want us to believe.
I know ,easier said than done, but it seems like a lot of people don't want the truth if it doesn't fit their feelings.
Sad but true.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

False, false, false.

Shouting fire in a theatre is not a crime.

The media is supplying a demand, whether they have an agenda or not. There is no sane reason to abandon free speech for the sake of quieting speech you do not want to hear.

Government regulation is always used against the people, not for them. It is only a matter of time before it is used on you. These are your fellow citizens, and they, like you, have the god-given right to pump as much propaganda as they please. It’s up to you and your fellow citizens to engage in both the free market economy and the market of ideas, to have an argument, to change minds, support what you like, with the full force of free speech behind you.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you suggesting that the net profits each news channel makes is beyond what the agendas they all sell US makes?

$27 trillion dollars went missing from the Pentagon. Does anything they say on TV really matter at this point?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

False, false, false.

Shouting fire in a theatre is not a crime.

The media is supplying a demand, whether they have an agenda or not. There is no sane reason to abandon free speech for the sake of quieting speech you do not want to hear.

Government regulation is always used against the people, not for them. It is only a matter of time before it is used on you. These are your fellow citizens, and they, like you, have the god-given right to pump as much propaganda as they please. It’s up to you and your fellow citizens to engage in both the free market economy and the market of ideas, to have an argument, to change minds, support what you like, with the full force of free speech behind you.

Am I a parrot? Coz I have to keep repeating myself.

"sake of quieting speech you do not want to hear."

This is not what I ever posted anywhere on this thread. I very sensibly said we should segregate fact from fiction. This is not an infringement. It is a simple regulation. You know, like the one that says we can't have any boxes 3 feet from the ceiling otherwise its a fire hazard? This one is to prevent fires as well.

It is NOT an infringement if Congress comes down and tells News Organizations to segregate News from Commentary, and to do so in the clearest of senses.

There are many on this site that can tell the difference. And there are many that cannot. For the children,,, DO IT!

edit on 18-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

There are laws that enslave men. There are laws that set them free (13th Amendment).

The corporations of this country run the government. The lobbyist force the politicians to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies in exchange for campaign financing. Exorbitant CEO pay and out of control inflation is all evidence cartels and monopolies have taken over this country. Here's the Feds own data to support my argument:

www.quandl.com...

If the government were doing its job the government would be passing laws preserving the free-market in order to wring out of the inefficiencies in CEO pay. But there is NO mechanism to wring out the inefficiencies of CEO pay. So the American worker making the median wage is screwed up the butt 10 ways til Sunday.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." Benito Mussolini

Money talks! Everything you post is BS.

edit on 18-7-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

You should take a business class. Because you are very uneducated about the ethics involved in what a CEO makes, or the massive amount of study, science, and regulation involved with it. It is not right, but it is righting itself.
(And it has nothing to do with the thread topic!)

If everything that I say is BS, then simply don't post on this thread. Continuing to spew nastiness instead of debating the topic is one of the definitions of being a troll.
edit on 18-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2018 by FingerMan because: simple formatting

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join