It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regulating News Networks (Eliminating Propaganda)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hello all,

As you can see, I've been a member of this community for a bit. I rarely post, only when I feel the need. And now I feel a need to post something.

I first want to say that I am a proud American. I have traveled the world over many times in service to our country. I do not see people in shades of blue or red when I meet them. I could care less what their political ideologies are. Discussion of politics used to be a barred subject and considered outright rude.

To the point of this thread: News Networks are pure propaganda machines.

Definitions:

"Propaganda is a powerful weapon in war; it is used to dehumanize and create hatred toward a supposed enemy, either internal or external, by creating a false image in the mind of soldiers and citizens." (Wikipedia)

Propaganda is "the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person; ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect" (Merriam Webster Dictionary)

Propaganda "dissemination of information—facts, arguments, rumours, half-truths, or lies—to influence public opinion." (Encyclopedia Britannica)

By reading these definitions, can you think of any examples of propaganda on a news network?
Well, I've gone and done some homework to give some specific examples from each news network:

Fox News:

CNN:

MSBNC:

NBC:

ABC:

I could go on and on in making my point. I'll let others continue with this, for or against.

Is this really harmful? Are people really dumb enough to be influenced by this propaganda machine? I'll let you answer that for yourself. For me, it is an overwhelming and resounding "YES IT IS HARMFUL!"

So, how do we fix this?

I have a solution. One that does not involve modifying our constitution or bill of rights. It is called REGULATION.
CNN, FOXNEWS, MSNBC, ABC News, NBC News, and CBS News should be regulated.
But how one might ask?

By simply removing all editorial and commentary from the News Channel, and clearly labeling it as such.

Screaming "Fire" in a crowded theater is a crime.
And so, spreading propaganda in the form of News should at a very minimum be regulated.

This would create a new market. Network News Channels would have to clearly label commentary and editorial as the "CNN Commentary Channel" or the "FoxNews Commentary Channel". I don't think they would like to call their channel the "FoxNews Propaganda Channel" or the "CNN Clinton Propaganda Machine".

Separating Commentary from actual News would create less confusion and would be much fairer to our chaotic political process.
I don't think there is a simple answer here other than to say Propaganda should be labeled as such within a News Network. And no, people are not smart enough to figure that out for themselves. That much is obvious.

I think it is treasonous what the media is doing to our duly elected President. But I also think that Fox News persecuted President Obama. I think that I'm fair, and I'll take one more step, I think most of us are fair. I don't think there is as large of a divide between Americans as the mainstream media fervently portrays.

The propaganda machine is wrecking our country.

We need some medicine in the form of regulation.

What say you?

R/ The FingerMan

edit on 17-7-2018 by FingerMan because: spelling

edit on 17-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
ZOMG!!!!

You're against Free Speech (of multinational corporations and their divide & conquer globalist Agenda).

edit on 17-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FingerMan

Well said. I agree all the way. Who do I send my money to and where do I sign? It'd be nice if Trump made propaganda illegal again.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I say you are absolutely right. We need our media to report the news. Unbiased, middle of the road news.

Unfortunately, it has been taken over by biased, rich, partisan morons.

So, until some new channel is created, by someone not on anyone's payroll, we are screwed.

I don't remember it being this bad in the 80's, but I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
News channels are corporate businesses. Operating in a very competitive environment trying to appeal to a certain demographic for ratings. News is just the platform to hang advertising on. It's about the money and free enterprise.

Slippery slope regulating capitalism....

Perhaps we need a Ministry of Information like in Russia or China...you ok with that? State approved News?

www.mid.ru...

Or perhaps you can start your own news channel like Alex Jones and tell us your version of things....

edit on 17-7-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

We regulate a whole host of things within the framework of Capitalism. I propose this is not different.
Examples:
- Hate speech is regulated. There goes your free speech.
- Housing market is heavily regulated. There goes your Capitalism.

This subject is taboo. I think that is about to change. It's like a wave that is building. We can all feel it.
We need to regulate Big Business News before it completely destroys our country.

Capitalism ONLY works when regulated. Trump was correct in saying we were over regulated in many industries. I argue that we are not regulated enough in this one.
edit on 17-7-2018 by FingerMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I share your concerns, but I fear this could create state sponsored news organizations which is just as troubling. If you limit their monetary ability you have the potential for needing to subsidize them. People tune in for a powerful source to enforce their confirmation bias, this would be detrimental to their ratings if they couldn't pass their opinion off as factual. Bad consumerism leads to bad capitalism, we've brought this on ourselves, we need to be the ones that fix it. Man we're f'd.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Capitalism ONLY works when regulated. Trump was correct in saying we were over regulated in many industries. I argue that we are not regulated enough in this one.

Who gets to decide what is appropriate for the proletariat to know, listen to, etc. Who will be the regulators. I might agree if you get rid of RAP "music"

I prefer to err on the side of democracy, free enterprise and less regulation. Just what we need another Government agency of overseers.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

So you want to be protected?

You want government censors to regulate what you are able to see for your protection?

Can you not see how dangerous that is?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Congress would decide.
I can't be the first to call this out. Matter of fact, I think Trump said something like this during the campaign.
Things like this start small and grow big, big enough for Congress and the courts to chew on.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

If you think this era is uniquely bad in its use of spin, you should study other eras.

Fact is that even the most "unbiased" reporting still has bias. It's all in the hierarchy of facts, subtle selection of words, etc. It can't be helped.

And government already has its so-called unbiased news in NPR.

Perhaps instead of worrying about what is presented as news, we ought to examine how our children taught to examine what they consume. It seems to me your worry is less about the news and more that people are not discerning in what they consume. Most people should be able to figure out basic fact from opinion so long as their education teaches them to distinguish such.

Unfortunately, we live in an era where logic has been replaced by emoting which means that most of what you see in the news is very effective.

However, like most people around here, instead of addressing the real problem which is an institutional inadequacy in our education apparatus, you would prefer to control what you allow people to see and hear *for their own good.*

Lord save me from little Hitlers.

link   

originally posted by: FingerMan

Congress would decide.
I can't be the first to call this out. Matter of fact, I think Trump said something like this during the campaign.
Things like this start small and grow big, big enough for Congress and the courts to chew on.

Right, let politicians decide for us what is appropriate for us culturally.

Are you insane?

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What would I want to be protected from?

I do see your point in how this could become a state run media program. That would be devastation, as in Russia.
There are plenty of examples where congress regulates Capitalism. The Sarbanes Oxely act comes to mind.

I don't exactly know how to do this. But it is akin to screaming fire in a crowded theater. It is akin to treason when news networks heavily propagandize their content against the POTUS.

I understand trepidation here. But extend an olive branch.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Cute!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

The courts would decide what is in breach of law, not congress.
Olaru12, you are grasping with that one.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FingerMan

The courts would decide what is in breach of law, not congress.
Olaru12, you are grasping with that one.

This is what you said....

Congress would decide. I can't be the first to call this out. Matter of fact, I think Trump said something like this during the campaign. Things like this start small and grow big, big enough for Congress and the courts to chew on.

It's obvious you just want the criticism of trump to stop. Not likely!!!

Now look what you've done. I'm agreeing with people I'm more comfortable with as adversaries.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Good thread! CNN and MSNBC need to be investigated by the CIA/FBI as TRAITORS to America.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Well, that is a childish assertion tbh.
I won't deny that I think the media's handling of our POTUS to be subpar. Subpar to the point of creating confusion and even hysteria.
But this will go on. In 2 to 6 years a Democrat will likely be sworn into office. Then Fox News and BreitBart Cable News will be the culprit. At that point, you'll probably be the one to author this thread.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

The news industry is more about making money than anything else. They will make up and say anything just to get a rise out of the viewer. Angry viewers equals ratings. Ratings equals money. All news is fake news. Everything is about ratings and making money. Just look at every "hook" used on Alex Jone's website. And he makes money off making people angry. Hate sells. The American people slop it up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join